Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zeebrugge / Rotterdam to lofer, Austria - any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Almost decided on going to lofer, Austria 19th march. We will be driving and crossing on one of the overnight ferries from hull and driving straight to resort in the day. A few questions firstly on the journey
1. Both ports roughly the same price / distance from resort, anybody have experience of one being better than the other?
2. Viamichelin route planner does not show any toll fees for the journey. Is this correct?
3. Are winter tyres required in Austria? I have a 4x4 with all weather tyres and carry snow chains (which were bought for France last year but only used to get up my street in Sheffield in December Confused )

Also does anyone have any experience of the area I am currently having ski lessons but really a total beginner (snowboarded previously, but useless so given up), husband snowboards and 7 year old daughter isnt a bad skier, we all want to stick together with perhaps a couple of private lessons if needed whilst there. It appears to be quite family friendly and beginnerish Puzzled from the little I have found online so far.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IIRC the roads from Europort are much better than Zeeb, straight out into m-way standard roads with good signage to many destinations. Zeeb is not quite as good. Also check which ferry gets in earliest, I'm sure it is the Europort one and I is a later depart from Hull which may suit. Europort crossing has newer ships. Costs are the same.

Why am I crossing to Zeeb soon? For France it is about 50kms shorter
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Europoort ferry departs Holland almost 2 hours later than the other. This would be a big help on the return drive, The boat is also bigger and better.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
L3VSA, out of interest, why Lofer? Drive a little further and there are better places.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. I have only driven from Zeebrugge to the Chiemsee area (Lofer is ca. 1 hr further on). That took about 10 hrs including stops (normal traffic - one driver). You should expect heavy traffic on a Saturday.
2. No tolls is correct, on the viamichelin route. The route viamichelin shows me is very strange around Munich, though. It seems to direct you right through the town (steps 19-24 on the route Zeebrugge-Lofer). If you don't know Munich, I would just stay on the A99 ring autobahn round the north of the city until you reach the A8 Salzburg autobahn.
3. Winter tyres are required in Austria and Germany if the road conditions are "wintry", as they could be in March. Check whether you have the M+S symbol on your tyres (and at least 4-5 mm tread).

Lofer is a relatively small area and well suited to beginners/intermediate skiers. The main ski area, the Loferer Alm, is reached from the village with a two-stage gondola (bubble) lift. The slopes of the main area are mostly only moderately steep, fine for intermediates (there are a few steeper runs). There is also a large field near the middle station which is used as a beginners' area (with tows, if I remember correctly - it's a while since I've been there). I think the track from the middle station back down to the village would be pretty testing for a beginner, probably better to take the lift down, at least at the start of the week.

Hope you have a great holiday!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done Zeebrgugge-Rosyth and Europoort-Hull but not Zeebrugge-Hull. Prices for the Hull route will be the same regardless of port. For Austria, either, but I'd probably suggest Europoort over Zeebrugge. For France, the opposite. Dutch motorways are ace, and no traffic (in that area), but you can guarantee that Zeebrugge-Brussels will be traffic (but flowing). Turn off to the Zeebrugge port is useless iirc - think you turn off the "fast" lane and see GB cars frantically trying to change lane cos they just missed the (tiny) sign. PS ignore the satnav at Eindhoven if you go that way, cos I think they re-routed the motorway (same is true on section of motorway between Utrecht & IJmuiden for those going to/from Newcastle).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
L3VSA wrote:
...3. Are winter tyres required in Austria? I have a 4x4 with all weather tyres and carry snow chains (which were bought for France last year but only used to get up my street in Sheffield in December Confused )

Yes, but maybe your all seasons tyres would comply:

The AA wrote:
.. Chains should be carried and used as dictated by local signs or road conditions. Reduced speed limits may apply.

notes
(1) - All vehicles driving on snow covered roads must have winter tyres (or all-season tyres marked M&S/mud and snow) during the winter season (from 1 November to 15 April) and if roads have a covering of snow, slush or ice outside these dates. Tyres must have a minimum tread depth of 4mm. ..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Okay will go and check my tyres I think. Forking out for a full set of winter tyres (which imo is unneccesary, the other car is a 3 series fitted with winter tyres just to enable getting to work, would not consider using it over the 4x4 which has got us everywhere we needed to go) will make it totally uneconomical to go and will probably end up in France again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

L3VSA, out of interest, why Lofer? Drive a little further and there are better places.

It appears from what I can see to suit our needs. Family friendly, decent price inc. lift pass (£1000 for the 3 of us half board), access to blues without drag lifts. Open to suggestions but don't really want to be in one of the big resorts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yes, but maybe your all seasons tyres would comply:

The AA wrote:
.. Chains should be carried and used as dictated by local signs or road conditions. Reduced speed limits may apply.

notes
(1) - All vehicles driving on snow covered roads must have winter tyres (or all-season tyres marked M&S/mud and snow) during the winter season (from 1 November to 15 April) and if roads have a covering of snow, slush or ice outside these dates. Tyres must have a minimum tread depth of 4mm. ..

Thank you for that information, my tyre are in fact marked M & S and are good for tread Very Happy . And I always thought they were from Marks and Spencer Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy