Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blue Peter filming World Record Attempt at Ski Rossendale

Poster: A snowHead
This February Ski Rossendale will be hosting a Guinness world record attempt which is being arranged and filmed by BBC's Blue Peter.
A number of internationally recognised skiers are attempting to set a new record for 'the greatest amount of air achieved using an artificial quarterpipe' - which for those not in the know means that the skiers will be aiming to get as high as possible! The skiers have been assembled by Pat Sharples...

The BBC are also capturing the world record using the same filming technique as was used in the Matrix - 360 degree camera views.

The World Record will be set at approximately 2.00pm on Tuesday 15th February. Spectators are welcome, as are local school groups. Please contact Ben Hill at Ski Rossendale by email (ben.hill@rltrust.co.uk) if you wish to arrange a group visit to the centre.

www.skirossendale.co.uk

Does anyone know what the current record is? Have any snowheads got a skiing/snowboarding world record?[/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sunnbuel,

i think its around 35 feet out of a snow pipe but don't know for artificial.
Imagine those landings on dry............its a huge quarter pipe at Rossendale Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing slips past you guys does it - great work yet again!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ha..wonder if skiclub GB puts it on their UK news section.....NOT rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best of luck to Pat, Woodsy and all the guys involved in this.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sunnbuel, Yeh the record is 35 feet as herrprentler, says but that was out of a 38ft quarter pipe! Simon Dumont's attempts and record are in Claim by MSP, it is massive!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pete88,
can't imagine a 35 foot aerial view of snowflex Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I so wouldn't like to fall on dendix from that height, my ice burn from last years EOSB has only now completely healed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Isn't a bit like claiming the world record for fastest slide across the kitchen lino* in my street.

* For the record I do not mean Sian Massey
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What great publicity for Ski Rossendale...lets hope it can be capitalised on to secure the future of the slope Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Rossendale is to close on the 31st March as the council cannot afford to keep it open. We need as much support as possible to try and keep it open. We have a social enterprise trying to keep it open but we need as much help and support from the local and national boarding and skiing community. Visit the slope and show your support. you can also visit fb group save ski rossendale.

PLEASE HELP SAVE OUR SLOPE.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crazylady,
It appears the council commissioned management consultants (KKP of Bury Lancs) to do a 'leisure review'. They suggested the slope needed millions of investment (not sure how much experience they have of ski slopes) The council decided the slope would need £100,000 a year subsidy, based on projected decline in visitor numbers and of course including the slopes share of the usual council management costs.
Turnover last year was aroung 500K. Thats against a background of a typical council run ski slope (ie very inefficient and not marketed)
Sounds to me like a Social Enterprise could make a really good go of this.
There are folk on snowheads who can offer superb advice with a wealth of experience in snowsports and business. They may not all agree all of the time - but they are all passionate about snowsports.

Perhaps the Hillend and Norfolk folk could kindly get in touch with the budding Ski Rossendale Social Enterprise via their website?

http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We have a social enterprise trying to keep it open but we need as much help and support from the local and national boarding and skiing community

I've clicked on the website link at the top of this thread and I've found it links directly to the Social Enterprise website. It looks like they are still developing the site so I for 1 will be regularly keeping my eye on this...I've done a little scouting around on the site and they have a twitter account and other social media outlets as well...so my supports behind them. Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, it seems like they've got their potential social enterprise group together really well in a short space of time, they've been very active with their new website, on FB & Twitter for the last 2-3 weeks and according to their updates they've had very well attended public meetings and much local support. Really seems to be gearing up.

Whether the fledgling group can get a plan together and approved by the 31st March is a whole other thing though. Also (and I may be completely wrong here, I only know what I think I remember reading) aren't the 4 people heading up the social enterprise the same group of people who put in 1 of the 4 bids, last year? Which the council rejected? I kind of get the feeling the council may just want this place off their books the easy way, via a padlock on the gate and a land-for-sale board...

But all the best luck to them anyway!! I will certainly try to visit again soon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wigan wrote:
I kind of get the feeling the council may just want this place off their books the easy way, via a padlock on the gate and a land-for-sale board...

Yes, I went to the meeting last night, it feels like the council are paying lip service saying that they will do all they can to keep the slope open, but the body language was negative.

Yes it was put out for tender last year in a 'transparent' way, but the general public and many business leaders in the community seem to have only just become aware of the fact that the slope is to close.......if the response at the public meeting last week is anything to go by.

The council should have at least put notices up at the slope as soon as the decision was made, to give as many people as possible the opportunity to put together a plan to save the slope.

It is am amazing facility, we cannot afford to lose it.

Yes it needs investment and marketing properly, but it is a busy little slope despite not having any investment for the last few years.

We have a great ski and board community in Rossendale, we are pulling together as best we can, but I do think we need all the encouragement possible from everybody.

Thanks for your support Smile
snow report
crazylady, The way forwaqrd is exactly the same as that of the Garthdee slope in Aberdeen the council should transfer it into the hands of a charitable trust set up to run just the slope by people who love and understand skiing.
snow report
kevindonkleywood,
I had a look at the Garthdee website and that is exactly the sort of facility envisaged.......thanks, information like this is really appreciated. Have forwarded to social enterprise team.
ski holidays
wigan, IMO this facility is a sleeping giant. Its 10 minutes off the main north west motorway network eg manchester is 20 minutes, Liverpool 45 mins, Leeds 45 mins. Its up in the hills and frequently gets a few weeks of surface snow every year. Its built on quite a large area with room for expansion on adjacent fields. It has a real alpine feel to it. It has a solid core customer base which could expand massively if it were run efficiently and with facility investment. There is even considerable space for onsite retail and catering facilities. I just wish i had a spare few quid ! If the council do mothball the facility, i don't think it will be long before its open again - this could quite easily be a centre of excellence.
ski holidays
A slightly brighter outlook on the future of the slope as opposed to the usual! Well done RFP!

http://menmedia.co.uk/rossendalefreepress/news/s/1406568_ski_fans_vow_to
ski holidays
linso wrote:
ha..wonder if skiclub GB puts it on their UK news section.....NOT rolling eyes

my dear boy (or girl) you are much too far north to appear on the skiclubGB radar Toofy Grin
latest report
If Ski Rossendale wants more visitors, they might be wise to put a link to "how to find us" a bit more prominently on their website. I clicked "About us" expecting the info on where the hell it is, only to find a nice Bio about some people that irrelevant to whether I visit or not.

Nice idea for publicity though - and those must be some brave people attempting it. I look forward to the programme.
latest report
Monium, good point, but for now - and on their behalf.
Ski Rossendale is situated in the beautiful Rossendale Valley just 12 miles north of Manchester and within easy reach of West Yorkshire, Lancashire and Merseyside. It has excellent road and transport links with the M66 and M65 motorways plus the A56 close to the Centre. Situated high on Haslingden Old road.
Haslingden Old Rd
Rossendale BB4 8RR
01706 226 457
Smile
ski holidays
I got told by a member of staff tonight that its still onto be closed around end of march.
snow report
It's been on the local news tonight, the council will close Ski Rossendale at the end of March. Privateer's are looking to take over and run as an on-going concern, hoping they will be able to attract sponorship etc to help fund. In stark reality I personally doubt it is viable with Chill Factore 25 minutes down the road and the very well run private "Pendle ski club" 20 minutes in the other direction.
snow report
wigan wrote:
I kind of get the feeling the council may just want this place off their books the easy way, via a padlock on the gate and a land-for-sale board...

Prime site for housing up there, as a plot with planning it would be worth an absolute fortune.
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
If Ski Rossendale wants more visitors, they might be wise to put a link to "how to find us" a bit more prominently on their website. I clicked "About us" expecting the info on where the hell it is, only to find a nice Bio about some people that irrelevant to whether I visit or not.

Nice idea for publicity though - and those must be some brave people attempting it. I look forward to the programme.

Hi Monium, a great suggestion - I guess we took for granted that people would still visit the official Ski Rossendale sight but in hindsight our site is to become possibly more frequented, so maybe replicating a bit of information and displaying info such as a 'find us' is not a bad idea.

Consider it done!
snow report
Quote:

Prime site for housing up there, as a plot with planning it would be worth an absolute fortune.

Kel, don't worry, that can't be done - land is leisure use only.
IMHO chill is a different market as is pendle - wait and see
wink
ski holidays
linso,

The swimming pool the council closed near me about 6 years ago was for leisure use only. Their are houses on it now.

I would say the Ross market is slap bang in between Chill & Pendle. Pitty the developers of Chill could not have developed Ross into a dome instead, they would not be having the problems they are now with the floor cracking. I guess they know their demographic market better than me.

I can see no U turn on the horizon, the council are cutting back on refuse collection grass cutting and they are even seeking homes for animals in the petting zoo as that too is closing. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, - The Ski Rossendale Social Enterprise is a new start, the slope is to be run by ski, board and outdoor enthusiasts. Very Happy
snow report
herrprentler wrote:
Kel, - The Ski Rossendale Social Enterprise is a new start, the slope is to be run by ski, board and outdoor enthusiasts. Very Happy

Just checked on Ski Rossendale Social Enterprises website and noticed on the title bar that they have now added the option of pledging skills and donations on-line. I've had a go and its really easy to do.....looks like the things are moving on, fingers crossed. Smile
latest report
The BBC are also capturing the world record using the same filming technique as was used in the Matrix - 360 degree camera views.

Apparently these guys are setting up the cameras on monday, the slope is closed but i bet you can have a nosey. The attempt is on for tuesday from 2pm and it looks like the weather will be on their side.
latest report
Todays the day. Can i suggest any snowheads thinking of heading up to ski rossendale make it in good time. By all accounts the place is going to be rammed with people. School groups coming from all over. Apparently it starts at 2pm until maybe 4.30pm. I have been told the cafe is open so reserve me a window seat.
ski holidays
herrprentler, yes, a full house is expected. Lots of media interest, local and national news. I think its marvellous for snowsports. This is the sort of thing that we should all be encouraging to explode the myth that we are an elitist sport. There are accessible facilities like ski rossendale all around the UK where kids and families can learn and have fun together for average money. Its the Uk slopes where we should be nurturing the next generation of boarders and skiers. Very Happy
latest report
Well done to Tyler Harding for setting a world record of the highest jump from an artificial quarter-pipe, he managed to jump 2.87meters clear and all was filmed by the BBC's Blue Peter and BBC sports.

and below a quote from Pat Sharples
Quote:

Thanks ski Rossendale for an incredible day yesterday that no one will never forget. There was no where else in the UK that could have been better and all the staff were awesome to get everything ready for us. THANK YOU!

a big thanks to skirossendale and to pat sharples from everyone who watched.
ski holidays
fatbob, don't get it ??
snow conditions
Nickski wrote:
fatbob, don't get it ??

what don't you get? Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy