Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold-weather equipment for someone who gets hot easily

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

I realise that experience will be the best judge of this, but I was hoping I might find someone in a similar boat to me. I'm off skiing in a couple of months, and have yet to buy the majority of my ski clothing/equipment. I don't have gloves, salopettes or jacket, although I do have boots and a base layer (from cycling).

The problem is that I don't want to be cold - obviously - yet I don't really have much of an analogue to compare against. All I know is that when I go to Hemel, and I wear just my base layer (a Helly Hansen merino thing) and my shell coat on top, I get so hot that my glasses are constantly steamed up, and that's not wearing any hat at all, and even with my coat mostly unzipped.

Is there anyone else out there who gets very hot on indoor ski slopes who can suggest how warm/cold I'd find it at Les Arcs at the end of March? What level of warmth should I be looking for when I buy all my clothes/gloves? Incidentally, I'll be getting a Head Sensor ski helmet, with the ear warmer bits, so I'm expecting that to keep me quite warm. God knows how I'm going to use OTG goggles without them steaming up!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi DaKid,

I too suffer from overheating, or rather did!

I ended up buying an ArcTeryx pro shell jacket (super thin, waterproof and breathable), then a mid layer and Skins base layer. It's a relatively expensive set up, and no doubt can be achieved for less, but the basic idea, IMHO, is that you should layer up and dress for the weather at the time. Out of interest is your shell goretex?

Recently got back from 3Vs and experienced everything from +5 and sun to -22 with wind. For the former open vents on the thin shell jacket and a Skins winter baselayer sufficed, and the latter I had to go for that plus a mid layer AND (first time ever!) a fleece.

As for the helmet - I just took mine off on lifts to cool the noggin down!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaKid, Go for shell outer, and then use several layers underneath to regulate your temperature. Hemel is quite humid insude, so you should find misting less of a problem when outside. Carry a small rucksack to contain discarded layers.

One of the major differences between Hemel an Les Arcs will be the time you spend on chairlifts - on a cold day these will chill you off very quickly.

March weather can be very variable - anything from -20 to +20 is possible.

Are you having lessons ? Sounds like you are working harder than you need too ! wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A shell jacket \pants with good venting, I usually ski with a shell and a merino t-shirt, if its cold close the vents if its warm open them up. I also find 2 pairs of gloves useful, one thinner windproof mountaineering types glove and warmer ski glove. I'll then carry a mid layer inthe backpack in case of emergencies.

oh and a buff or similar..keeps the wind out on cold long lifts but easily taken off if too warm skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some good answers - thanks guys.

I'm naturally fairly well "insulated", so I don't need to work that hard to get warm! Sounds like I need a good shell (current one is just a DKNY jacket that's definitely not a true ski jacket, although it does have a powder skirt), and some good base/mid-layers. A good backpack also sounds advisable.

Advice appreciated, and of course further insights would be most welcome Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaKid - Shell jacket, snood and skins base layer. I carry a thin mid-layer if it gets really cold. I use a helmet and take it off when I stop if I'm steaming up. As Ski says, it can get really cold on the lifts, especially if there's a wind.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you haven't got a helmet already, make sure you get one with vents, and plenty of them. A damp helmet is normally a pleasant experience, somehow after lunch and it's cold outside it isn't anywhere near as nice.

I would suggest that you use the base layer you already have, get a couple of thin fleece layers (honestly, someone will convince you otherwise but Primark fleece for £3 will do you fine and you can get several if you're likely to sweat a lot) and a shell jacket over the top. You can add and remove layers, after day one you will know what is sensible in the prevailing conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never worn more than a merrino base layer, a thin fleece and an arcteryx shell, even in whiteouts. In normal conditions it's good to have vents so that you can open them up on the way down when you're hot and then zip them up before you get on the lift.

I'm usually either too hot coming down (if I have my fleece on and it's not really cold) or too cold on the lifts, but usually I go for too cold on the lifts. If anyone has worked out how to remain warm on the lfits without having to take off jacket and helmet to put on a fleece then please let me know...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sicrates,
Quote:

If anyone has worked out how to remain warm on the lfits without

I have a hood which goes over my helmet - warms me up a bit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sicrates, I don't think fleece is particularly breathable (if at all?) and may be why you overheat on the way down. Have you tried a breathable insulating layer?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaKid & sicrates,
You might want to try a softshell or fleece gillet (no arms) over a long armed base / mid layer as this provides good ventilation when exerting yourself but keeps the body core warm when not. Keep the shell for when it's precipitating or cold & windy.

Zero-G,
Thought a fleece was very breathable (certainly more than something with a membrane e.g. goretex) although a windstopper fleece is less breathable than a normal fleece.

Quote:
Q: Is fleece breathable?
A: High performance fleece is considered “100% breathable”, offering great air circulation, despite being a polyester fabric. In fact, a high quality polar fleece is more breathable than an equivalent weight cotton jogging fleece.

http://www.kohlrbaby.com/faqs.php
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I overheat easily and have massive pit zips in my HH thinly insulated ski jacket which work well. Normally I just have a base layer underneath, and I carry a thin fleece in my pack just in case. A buff is good as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, you're right. I'm confusing breathability with moisture wicking properties.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Find a (soft?) shell jacket with good pit zips. Get good base layers - not insulating/keep you warm types, but thin sweat wicking ones. Helly Hanson have good ones, although due to sucking up the sweat they can smell pretty bad - sometimes known as 'smelly hellys.'

You say you are going in a couple of months, so it could well be warm enough to just wear a mid-weight fleece instead of a jacket.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Especially in March, the sun can be a big influence on getting too hot, I almost never have hands or feet that are too hot, usually the opposite so I wear dark gloves and boots, I once wore a dark ski jacket in Andorra and it was utterly unbearable, even unzipped and little underneath, so I always choose very light coloured ski gear thgat reflects more of the sun's heat.
Go for zipped underlayers and a jacket that has zipped armpits, its much easier to unzip a layer or 2 than be constantly stripping/dressing
I have never bought expensive, named ski gear, I once had an Elesse one piece that fell apart (Bottom split from top in the middle of the piste after a spill!!), my best ski jacket in 25 yrs of skiing was £20 complete with salopettes from Aldi though I binned the Salopettes as they were too hot.
ski holidays
DaKid, Quality base layer under gore-windstopper Softshell is the way to go. Mountain Hardwear Alchemy is my choice. £70.

do NOT buy a 'ski jacket' as they are all too warm

You may need a rucksack for carrying a shell layer in bad weather.

I do ski hard though, which keeps me warm - of you're a newbie then ignore the above
ski holidays
Can you get a non ski jacket with a lift pass holder though?
snow conditions
DaKid, just stick the pass in your left trouser pocket - the readers are at knee level.

Honestly - you don't need or want all that 'ski jacket' rubbish
snow report
red 27 wrote:
DaKid, just stick the pass in your left trouser pocket - the readers are at knee level.

Just how tall are you, exactly? Shocked
snow report
£70 just about covers my entire clothing when skiing.
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
£70 just about covers my entire clothing when skiing.

maybe that's why you feel unbearably hot when the sun shines?
ski holidays
Apart from one day 20 yrs ago when I wore the wrong colour jacket, no, I do not get unbearably hot when the sun shines. Even if I did have money to burn, £70 for a fleece is just taking the p***.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy