Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement Jam

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Im a newbie to this forum. I am 38 yrs old, 6'2", 100 kilos a relative aggressive advanced skier (or like to think so!) I am looking at buying an all mountain ski and have been drawn to the Movement Jam. I would really be grateful to hear from anyone who has tested them or skied them recently,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mookziv, welcome to snowHead 's

The Movement Jam is a great piste ski very responsive and holds up pretty well over the whole mountain. With your height and weight though the Jam might be at its limits if you are a strong advanced skier. The Jam only goes up to 182 and this might be a factor in which ski you choose.

The Jam is good off piste, however again if you are looking to spend more time off piste then you might want to look at something a little wider for your build. If your sticking with Movement then the Sluff is a stronger ski and is great off piste, without loosing to much on piste ability.

I am sure there will be some more people along soon to give more views wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks

Thanks for those comments, what you said is exactly my concerns with the jam. I was looking at the source as a compromise but they were slightly over my budget, I think the sluff might be slightly too wide as i still enjoy my piste skiing and really want a 50/50 ski.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mookziv, it's a very responsive ski (springy as opposed to damp) and very quick edge to edge. Not very stiff so you'll probably want something a bit stiffer. Also skis quite short thanks to it's sidecut. I can recommend the Scott Crusades if you want something that'll do 50:50 and likes to be skied agressively snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
44, 188cm (6' 2" in old money), 100 kg (closer to 120Kg with all the skiing paraphenalia), ski instructor

Recently purchased the Jam in a 173cm and have Dynafit Vertical FT bindings mounted.

Skiing them with the Dynafit TLT-5 Performance boot.

Currently in Popova Shapka, Macedonia. Fifth day on them today.

As the posters above have said, very lively in all turn shapes. Very responsive in all snow conditions and all terrain.

I've skied them on hard packed refrozen pistes, perfectly groomed pistes, dust on crust, windblown powder and up to waist deep powder.

Excellent quiver of one ski. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy them you will love them. Very easy to ski a joy off piste and nice and light wont kill your legs. Great in th bumps if you like that and i have used them in good fresh powder and they are fun. If you want to ski flat out on hard pack all day long dont get them but for general piste bashing they are good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you're a big lad, get the proper big Movement Goliath Toofy Grin Stiff as a girder but surprisingly lively.

Failing that the sluff is the little brother and a lot mellower while still giving you enough stiffness (i'm around 100kg's too and find the sluff just fine as an all-mountain).

However, the hands-down best all-mountain ski i've been on is the movement gladiator. the source replaced it in the range although they are pretty different. They dont make them anymore but you might get your hands on a pair somewhere. Noblecustom may have a pair of the 192's left which would be perfect length (i'm on 183's, but am shorter than you)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for all the responses guys. I went for the movement source in the end on the basis that they're a bit stiffer and longer and would probably suit my size, height better. Going to Chamonix in a couple of weeks, so very excited to try them out (if there any snow left!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mookziv

Please would you be kind enough to review the Sauce for us, there is not a lot out there and only once poor quality youtube review. I have the jams and are thinking of getting the sauce as well so would be great to read your review on here. Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skicanada, we are out of the Sources now but have a write up on them on the site (see below), we have also seen a few tele skiers and tourers going for them this season as well.

barry, Phew I tried the Goliaths they are a real hand full great though if you want to charge huge straight lines down fresh powder, but I reckon you need to be doing about 40+ for a good carve on piste Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski, aye they ain't really a cruise about the hill kinda ski! I'm pretty hefty though with all my gear on so can get them tipped over if moving pretty quick. I have a pair of the thunders - the version with the skull graphics, they're pretty much as stiff as the goliaths but much more manageable. Still tempted by the super turbos but not sure I can justify them. You guys doing any of the park models? Always fancied the kamasutra for telemark but never got round to it, think one of the new models is a straight swap though? (have my glads mounted telly - ntn, great setup but the glads will need retiring in another season or two!
mookziv, they really are top notch skis, I think you'll do fine with them
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hired the Movement Spark (171cm) last winter and got on well with them, wanted to hire a pair this year but none available on the day.

This holiday started with a Movement Source (169cm) and used them for two days. They seemed very heavy and overly wide. I could not really describe what was right or wrong with the M-Source, but I was not thrilled with them.

Switched to the Trab Stelvio (171cm) and kept them for the rest of this holiday. It took a couple of hours to get used to the T-Stelvio for off piste but after that the skis did what I wanted and I skied them for eleven days.

So I would recommend the T-Stelvio over the M-Source for mixed snow off piste plus some fast cruising on piste. I quite fancy comparing the M-Spark against the T-Stelvio, maybe next winter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow wrote:
44, 188cm (6' 2" in old money), 100 kg (closer to 120Kg with all the skiing paraphenalia), ski instructor

Recently purchased the Jam in a 173cm and have Dynafit Vertical FT bindings mounted.

As the posters above have said, very lively in all turn shapes. Very responsive in all snow conditions and all terrain.

I've skied them on hard packed refrozen pistes, perfectly groomed pistes, dust on crust, windblown powder and up to waist deep powder.

Mike, I am 174cm/75kg and advanced on/off piste and was seriously considering the Jam 173cm with Fritschi Eagles for 40/40/20 on/off/touring. So found your comments interesting that you are enjoying the 173cm. Wouls appreciate any further comments on them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barry, I can find out re park skis, last look we had Baggy's which we thought were pretty good but not really our style of ski for off piste or freeride, but certainly pretty good for tricks and park riding, another quite stiff ski if I remember correctly. Pls maybe some Signatures, IM or email me and can find out Monday.

Funny enough all our Super Turbo's went overseas this season, next year they are doing 182,192, 202cm but its a secret so don't tell anyone.

Adrian, To be fair its the first time anyone has said the Source are heavy, as they are such a light ski (1.55kg), the 169 is very short for this style of ski they are only 1mm thiner in the tip and tail than a 193 and the same under foot so I guess that they would kind of feel wide. But as you may have found not all skis suit everyone.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
colinstone wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Mike, I am 174cm/75kg and advanced on/off piste and was seriously considering the Jam 173cm with Fritschi Eagles for 40/40/20 on/off/touring. So found your comments interesting that you are enjoying the 173cm. Wouls appreciate any further comments on them.

I'm in the very small minority of advanced skier (often a minority of one) who likes an all-mountain ski with a length somewhere between my chin and nose. In my case, something between a 170cm and 175cm.

I don't like lugging more than one set of skis around, so I try to find a ski that I can use instructing on and off-piste in all terrain, in all snow conditions, in all turn shapes. And which I can use to play.

Having done extensive research and spoken with a number of people the Jams in a 173cm fit my criteria and as importantly shouldn't overpower the Dynafit binding and boot combo I'm currently on. It doesn't Smile

Skied this set up now for 7 days in wildly differing snow conditions and terrain and I'm very happy with my decision.
snow report
Mike and others,

Thanks for the Jam info. I had read from testers that they thought that the flex pattern was a bit uneven - quite soft in the tips for good turn initiation but stiffer tails, which although good grip, made completing the turn a little more difficult/difficult to handle. Any comments on that from your experiences??
ski holidays
I try to ski neutral cuff as much as possible and found them easy in and easy out of the turn.

If you're not careful they can get away from you and send you in the back seat, which would obviously make turn completion difficult.
snow conditions
Hi Guys just came back from Chamonix and tested my new Movement Source (185cm) with Sth12 bindings.

I skied most conditions which was lucky considering the coverage over the Alps this season. We had hard packed at Grand Montet, found deep powder on the vallee blanche, spring snow in Courmeyer, crud, ice, dust on crust, the list goes on!!!!!

All in all this is a great one quiver ski with lots of life, it lived up to all my expectations. Its light, very responsive and really easy to manouver, its large shovel eats up crud easily and makes it great fun to ski on. The shovel seemed to be slightly more flexible than the body of the ski which made the ride on crud and bumps much smoother. On powder this ski floats like a dream and goes anywhere you need it to without any effort.

On piste the ski is great to manouver, carves really nicely both short and long turns. Its turning radius is 19m approx but feels much shorter. So in short this ski goes anywhere and is great fun to ride but is most at home off piste (I would say 65/35) but still good fun on piste.

Drawbacks, it doesnt inspire confidence on piste when your trying to break world speed records (its softer shovel trends to make it chudder when your hammering it), but in fairness those wanting to break speed records wont be looking at this type of skis!
It also doesnt handle ice as well as heavier skis, but thats the pay off for having a light ski that will take you literally anywhere with a big fat grin on your face. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! loved riding it!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy