Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pocket rockets

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of getting some Pocket rockets, some friends skied with them the outher year and raved about them. What size should I get 175's or 185's
I'm 5'11, 95kg, starting to do more and more off piste
I'm currently using some Fisher AMC 76's on 170's
Alternatively if someone has some powder skis they would be happy to let go for a very reasonable price (if not cheap) then let me know
Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
185, buy them new though, they soften quicker than a cat's cock.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what softens?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
k1orange, Errrm, Pocket Rockets. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
is that the whole ski that softens? I've never heard of that before
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
k1orange, Yes, ok, it's a massive topic, however these skis are a monocoque construction filled with a synthetic foam, each flex damages the ski a little, eventually they end up dead or as it's called today Cambered. It's all the fashion means the manufacturers can get away with making skis cheaply.
The PR was one of the worst around for this, if not the worst, that said it's a classic ski, worthy of anyones archive. Introduced the world to wider skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
k1orange, what's your budget?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the pocket rocket doesn't look like it'd be very good for skiing to me...

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:

I've never made the link but I owned both the Pocket Rocket skis, and the Pocket Rocket kayak.

Both get classic status from me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My pockets have done around 8 solid seasons (2-3months per season), now sporting fritschi freeride touring bindings. Was out on them only yesterday in some nice powder. Still keep up with my mates on bigger newer freeride skis. I have 176cm, i'm 90kg, very quick to turn, which as most my off piste is in the tree line these days that perfect. They don't really provide enough float for faster, carve style turns in open powder and they are a little flappy on piste but you get used to it. They handle hard pack okay and I can carve them pretty well, though I for piste days i've other skis. I've also some scott puishers but never really got on with them, prefer the pockets. go for it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
185, buy them new though....

They still made?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most pairs out there now will be well used. Why not do yourself a favour and buy a modern wood cored ski perhaps with a bit of tip rocker if you're serious about off piste?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, Just found a new pair for our classics archive, having sweet little exhibition boxes made to display classic skis over the last 20 years charting the evolution of the freeride ski, got some sweet models, some real classics.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In response to Spyderjon - As little as possible (as always) you know I'm poor due to working for a university (cut backs and all that) I saw some on e-bay going for less that £100, there is always a bargain out there.
Of course I'd love to buy some new ones, but would prefer another holiday on the snow rather than having new skis sat in my garage.
If there is anything knocking around let me know, I don't mind if they are not cutting edge or space age.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i would say that 2nd hand pocket rockets are some of the most over-priced skis that appear on ebay
latest report
The "1080 Gun" is exactly the same dimension and AFAIK construction as the Pocket Rocket, only a different colour scheme and a year or two newer than the last PR models. No idea why Salomon suddenly re-branded it.

I've skied quite a few wide skis and while there's no question that many that have come since the Pocket Rocket are far higher performers, I don't think I've ever skied a ski that was 'kinder' to the skier off piste.
True, if you're travelling at speed, the snow is quite dense or the hill a little shallow, you can wish for the extra float that something stiffer (or these days wider) delivers but when you're just starting out and learning to handle varying depth, density, crustiness, crunchiness, crudiness etc. it's oft criticised softness is what makes it very forgiving, allowing you to focus on your skiing, the technique and the pleasure of it, rather than always just struggling to survive.
snow report

Not sure it would be race legal...
snow conditions
HellBent wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I've never made the link but I owned both the Pocket Rocket skis, and the Pocket Rocket kayak.

Both get classic status from me.

Aye, my mate had one - was a great boat, absolutely tiny and a bit slow on the wave, awesome in a hole though.
snow conditions
admin, You have finally made a prefect, considered and impartial contribution. Toofy Grin

This sums things up perfectly. Shocked

More of this!!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

Maybe not skiing, but good fun on snowy hills... though sometimes quite painfull too...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy