Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - Kappl 15th to 22nd Jan 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Background
Went to Kappl last year with wife and 3 kids. Went this year with wife and 2 younger kids, friends who hadn't skied for 12/13 years and their 11 year old daughter who hadn't skied on snow, but had plenty of lessons at Glasgow Ski Centre. My kids are 7 and 10 and was their 4th and 6th ski holiday respectively.

Getting there
Edinbrugh to Innsbruck. Great flight times - left Edinburgh around 7.30 and arrived in Gasthof at 12.15. Off plane and luggage collected within 20 mins, taxi driver waiting and an hour easy transfer to Kappl. We had pretty much unpacked and were in town having a lovely lunch by 1. We could had easilly have got some skiing in but decided otherwise. On way back we had the usual cramped conditions for checking in at Innsbruck but that's the way the jobby splatters I suppose.

Accomodation
This was my first time in a Gasthof with family (have done b&b's whilst away with boys in St Anton) - what a revelation. We were welcomed by the wife, who greeted the kids with Kinderschnapps (7UP in a schnapps glass) whilst the adults got the real thing. Right on the piste and a 5 min wander to the main part of town. http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/ We had a great sized room with balcony overlooking piste and down the valley towards See and up the valley towards Ischgl. The food really was excellent and all the meats from husband's family farm 5 mins away. Heated boot racks (which I was not expecting from a gasthof), computer terminal and free WIFI. All this for €48 per adult per night and €35 for the kids. The staff really were excellent, especially the wife, which made for a great atmosphere in the place. The husband and son run the kitchen and really did have some excellent cooking skills on show. We were absolutely stuffed after each meal and loved every mouthfull. Our friends are foodies and raved about the food. Oh and most importantly ZIPFER on tap Very Happy

The skiing
Although only 40km on doorstep as I stated in my report last year, the ski runs are deserted, long and interesting. It had been very warm before we arrived and during the first 2 days but snow was great on upper half but not the best lower down and in the afternoon. Temps dropped significantly during week which meant they could use the cannons and there was snowfall Wednesday and parts on Thur and Fri. Got a flexi pass which allowed 2 days in Ischgl, Galtur or See. Went to Ischgl for two days where the skiing and snow was much better (but I knew that anyway so was no surprise). Just over €500 for 2 adult passes and 2 kids (the 7 year old being free). Good fun park and slalom course mid mountain and nice beginners area too at mid station - excellent looking creche facilities too for those with younger kids.

Apres
Given it's small size and illustrious neighbour, the apres is surprisingly good at both the Schaffstahl (by the piste and a snowballs throw from the Gasthof) and Schupfa (beside the gondola at the foot of the slopes). Schupfa is the better of the two. Went to Feuer & Eis (Kuhstahl looked too smokey) in Ischgl on the Sunday and Niki's Stadl on the Wednesday. Nikis Stadl was great fun but quite pricey - €4 for 300ml draft beer.

Prices
Beers typically €3.50 for 500ml, same for Gluhwein and hot chocolates. Gulaschsuppe around €5, Bolognese around €7 and same for the excellent pizza's from Bockalm. All in I thought Kappl represents very good value.

Summary
Yet again Kappl proved a great venue for a family ski trip. Would go back again but maybe not next year to try somwhere else. Would highly recommend the Alpenfrieden as a base

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-01-11 15:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS Apolgies for messing up the bold type Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy