Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trip out of Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Thought we would make use of our GM season pass offers and go for look see elsewhere. The list available is quite long but we are looking at Megeve and Les Contamines Tue/Wed probably (saving PDS until Feb), any recommendation as to which one?, blues and reds our thing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Baz...... Les Contamines if it's not cloudy.... Megeve if it is... but check piste conditions 1st if Megeve
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basil, we had a day in Les Contamines from Les Gets in April (to avail of my free day). Took lots of advice from here and had a great day (weather was good) and enjoyed the pistes there. Parked at La Gorge gondola. Lovely lunch Chez Gaston. Plenty reds/blues. Really enjoyed the scenery from Aig. Croche so did that twice Very Happy
Stopped in the village for a drink on the way back. Pleasant enough but seemed very very quiet. It was endish season though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lou wrote:
................................ It was endish season though.

Makes not much difference when you go in the season!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, ok I was being polite. It was dull as dishwater with 'not much to it' Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou, Very Happy when we 1st moved there we were concerned that our staff apartment was above what appeared to be one of the main bars of Contamines........ proved not to be a problem as most evenings it was closed by the time we finished work at 22:00!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basil, Les Contamines. I was there last week and conditions were good (though we didn't go below the middle gondola station even the lower reaches are probably fine now they've been able to make snow for a few days).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a look at the weather for tomorrow, seems fine so we are going across then. Quite looking forward to it now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basil, the Veleray lift and associated black runs were closed - I should have said. They often are, actually, I think that side gets a lot more sun.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well we had a great day over at Les Contamines. I was really impressed with the area, wonderful views over tha Alps and good snow conditions, thanks for the recommendations. Had fun riding the Gorge telecabine, the cars are tiny and at 6'1" I had to take my helmet off to sit upright, there were two guys in the car in front of us who were taller than me, god knows how they squeezed in.

The drive up was interesting. Passing through Saint Gervais Les Bains was like driving through a Poirot scene, loads of old 30's style buildings and what looked like several "Grand Hotels" didn't really have time to stop off, maybe next time.

Now thinking about where to go Tue/Wed.

TTFN

Edit: Now thinking of Chamonix (see how the other half live), only get a free pass for the Chamonix Le Pass which I reckon should suit us for a day if conditions are good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Basil, glad you had such a good time. Contamines is excellent - often visited by people based in the Chamonix Valley because the snow is almost invariably better than almost all the Cham areas, when things get thin. People talk a lot about having to go for altitude, but it ain't necessarily so. Very little of LC is over 2000m. Aspect, coupled with the place not being swamped and skied to death, makes a big difference (though I was pleasantly surprised by the state of the pistes on the Belleville side last week, given that it gets more sun).

Conditions there are far better than are being reported from some of the "big name" areas right now. wink And those views of Mont Blanc are just spectacular, aren't they? With better snow there's some good off piste in LC too.

St Gervais is an interesting little town; you don't want to believe all you read about soulless French resorts!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
you don't want to believe all you read about soulless French resorts!

.... Shocked

This was the first I read about it.

How much should we believe then?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

This was the first I read about it

Well you obviously haven't been paying attention. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another trip planned to GM for 1/2 term so was thinking of a day out to Les Gets, drifting over to Morzine, sticking mainly to blues cos' the other half prefers them. Seems that area has the larger range of blues.

Can anybody advise on the best place to park, do not know Les Gets at all so any help would be appreciated, be handy if we did not have to get a ski bus.

Ta!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Baz - there's a car park for Les Gets just before you enter the resort on the roundabout from Taninges.
snow report
marcellus, Any chance that is a ski in ski out?.
snow report
marcellus, I've had a look at the ski map and reckon the car park is at the bottom of the Perrieres chair lift, would that be right?. If so I'm assuming that it links across to the adjacent lifts La Rosta and Le Ranfoilly.
latest report
Basil, you could also look at Megeve. About 12 minutes longer journey, according to Google maps. There's a big car park at the bottom of the Princesse lift (the first one you come to, from that direction).
ski holidays
pam w, Oooh, Megeve looks good, most lifts seem to be linked to a blue run too.
ski holidays
Basil, yep Perrieres is the place to park for a day but do get there very early particularly in half term. Easy blue access to Les Gets 'bowl' and over to Morzine via Choucas blue. To get back to car, it's easier to take the red Melezes which is an ace red Very Happy but it's wide all the way for your OH.
snow conditions
Quote:

Megeve looks good

just don't let the OH loose in the shops. wink

You might want to wait and see what happens to the snow. IF there isn't any more - or not significantly more - you might do worse than go back to Les Contamines, which might have better snow than the "easier" parts of Megeve (though I'm not too sure about that - I know Les Contamines well, but not Megeve).
snow report
pam w, I presume Basil is looking to use a 'free' day with his GM pass so might not be able to return to the same place twice. I know I couldn't last year with my season pass, they crossed off each destination on the back of my card.
latest report
Lou, Exactly that, LC was really good and little Miss Basil is jealous she was not with us so even thought of taking her using her ticket and buying a ticket for me. As it is we'll all go to Megeve I reckon. Thanks for the advice on Les Gets by the way.

pam w, Mrs Basil has not been good enough to go to the shops.
ski holidays
Basil, You can access the Megeve ski area from the car park at Le Bettex (??) which is just above the pretty town of St Gervais. I would recommend this area for some blue/red piste cruising as long as the snow is half decent as it is all relatively low. We often used to go on day trips to St Gervais/Megeve or Les Contamines when staying at Les Houches in Chamonix valley and these areas all make a gentler alternative to the dramatic stuff in Chamonix. There is a nice bar in the main square of St Gervais which has Leffe on tap if you fancy a beer on your way back home.
snow conditions
I could be wrong, but think you might find that your free day in les Contas will compromise a free day in Megeve, as they are all part of the same area.
latest report
Off to Megeve tomorrow, free day out with season pass for Evasion Mont Blanc, Les Contamines not listed in this section so not sure it is inluded as part of the same ski area. Will attempt to park at Princesse as suggested as this looks like nearest access on our way in from Sallanches. Best drag Little Miss Basil's backside out of bed somewhat earlier than usual.

Toodle pip
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy