Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking skis on the plane ... and ski insurance: Any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Will be taking a pair of skis with me on EasyJet this year. Have pre-booked skibag. Worried though about how safe they will be etc. I do have a regular (double) soft ski 'housse' bag, and also a hard ski carrier - but prefer to take the lighter weight soft one (will they be safe). Anyone had any skis damaged during flight transport ?

Related point - can anyone recommend a decent ski insurance package. I noticed that most of the ones I've seen have ridiculously low single item allowances (£250-300) - hardly enough to cover theft of a decent pair of skis - at least mine. Do they also cover accidental damage - e.g., by airlines?

House insurance covers 30 days abroad, but wouldn't want to risk it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My skis have survived the bag chuckers in soft bags for at least half a dozen flights so far, if I remember right pretty much every ski bag in the pile outside the bar at GVA as we waited for the lardy bus on the last EoSB was a soft one and don't think anyone had any problems!
My Dogtag insurance has £1000 ski gear cover.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They'll be fine - especially if you pad the bag out with clothes/etc to make the most fo your weight allowance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As clarky999, says, just put in some padding -although the airlines mostly say you can only carry the skis, I have never had a few clothes as padding queried, and Easyjet aren't one who say the bag can only contain skis anyhow.

I would say that well over 90% of all te skis I have seen being put on flights have been in soft bags (including mine), and I haven't heard of any problems.

Insurance is another matter. Not only are the single item limits usually a bit low, but the standard policies also depreciate skis very fast, soyou basically aren't covered if the skis are more than about 4 years old, and even 1 year old skis aren't covered for anything like their full value.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's reassuring about soft ski bags. It seems to really pay to read the small print on the insurance policies. Many often given the impression that your equipment is covered (e.g., up to £5000) but then in the small print it will say that the maximum value for any single item is £150 (including skis)!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy