Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thompson Air

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads . I was wondering if anyone has any experience of flying with thompson Air and how rigorously they enforce their ski carriage weight limit as i have pre booked ski carriage and wouldn't mind taking my snowboard as well . I have a snowboard bag that could easily accomadate skis and Board minus bindings which i can easily re-attach once in resort . i Could put my snowboard boots into my hold luggage with my ski boots in their boot bag as part of the ski carriage. Or do you think i would be stung for excess baggage?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DrewGeddes, this has been done to death recently, I will find a few threads for you if you fancy some light reading Laughing

But basically the official position AFAIUI is this:

Assuming you have booked and paid for ski carriage then you are entitled to take 1 ski/board bag containing 1 pair skis + poles OR 1 board + bindings per ski carriage fee paid. There is no weight limit on the bag but the bag cannot contain any other items at all if you are also going to be taking a 20kg suitcase/holdall hold baggage.

You can also take your hold luggage of up to 20kg, your boots form part of this 20 kg and can be either in the same bag or in a seperate boot bag. So you could put one pair of boot in your holdall/case and take one pair in a boot bag as long as the total weight for these two pieces is 20kg or less.

Alternatively you can put board and skis and boots in the board bag with whatever else you like/can fit up to a maximum weight of 23kg but you cannot then take any other hold bag.

If you have paid for 2 x ski carriage then you can put 2 sets of skis or 2 boards together in the same bag.

As to how rigorously they enforce this, very difficult to say as it is all down to the check in agent on the desk on the day. FWIW I have never had anyone ask to see the contents of my ski bag. I would stongly recommend keeping your 20kg part of the allowance just under and I don't think you will raise too much suspicion re. the extra piece of kit in the board bag. HTH a bit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrewGeddes, Here you go: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70743
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62121

and a really amusing thread on Crystal's own website/forum where you have company employees contradicting each other Laughing

http://help.crystalski.co.uk/crystalski/topics/baggage_and_ski_carriage_queries
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We flew Thomson, Manchester to Turin on Boxing Day. From what I remember, the cases and boot bags went onto the scales first - then our ski bags went onto the scales to have the sticky labels added before taking them to the outsize luggage desk. Now, whether the skis were actually weighed I don't know - they had to go on the scale so the check-in guy could reach to attach the label. They WERE on the scale, though....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I flew out with them from Manchester to Salzburg on the 8th of January - with one double ski bag with two pairs of ski's. I paid £30 for ski carriage for one pair. No questions were asked. I shall do the same again when we fly out next month.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, just off the phone to crystal ski and it looks like i wont be taking the snowboard on holiday , just the skis. Ski carriage apparently is 1 pair of skis and poles . ski boots can be in a boot bag or my hold baggage but can wejgh no more than 20 kgs. Any ski trip i have been on before ski carriage was always skis , poles and boots. And i'm pretty sure that when we booked the holiday over a year ago ski carriage was skis, boots , poles. when did Crystal change this?
p.s my boots are a size 13 and weigh 7kgs .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I flew out a week ago and back today (Glasgow->Turin) and my skis didn't go near a scale at either Glasgow or Turin. I had 2 pairs in a 2m long Dakine roller and they must have weighed close to 30kg.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scotia, did you have your boots in a boot bag or in your roller bag?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrewGeddes, I put my boots in my main suitcase but there was loads of people with boot bags checking in and I saw no problems.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrewGeddes, they told you what I wrote above then, like I said this is the official line.

I don't believe they have changed their policy on boots, it is just a popular misconception that when you book ski carriage it includes skis, boots and poles. Quite reasonably you assume that for £30 it does/should but unfortunately not.

Have a read at the links to the other threads in my post above, in particular the Crystal own one Laughing

In practice you probably won't have any problems. Like many people are saying, they don't look in your bag, they don't seem to weigh the ski bags etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from holiday using Thomson for the Edinburgh innsbruck, like I have done for the past 5 years or so. Each year I have paid the ski carriage and did again this year. In the past my head monster bag for the skis had weighed up to 32 kg but this year it looked like for health and safety reasons this had been reduced to 23 kg which we adhered to. Was totally peed off at Edinburgh when I was told I had to pay for extra ski carriage at £40 and that the max for ski carriage was 12kg despite mr nit being able to see this anywhere on Thomson or crystal website on addition to be told on phone that there was no max weight allowance as long as only one pair of skis. At Innsbruck they didn't ever bother weighing the ski bag. There were 4 of us travelling and we checked in 3 other bags weighing just over 40kg in total. I asked a few other people on way back with similar sized bags with a couple of guys saying that they had to take a boot out of their bag to reduce below 32kg. All I can say is that at least ryanair and easyjet have very clear sections on their sites and tui don't.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, Just finished reading your link to the Crystal forum. It all seems very clear to me now and the all the airlines , T/O's are robbing bar stewards!!! Confused
P.S. will be travelling with an infant , do you think they will charge me excess weight on his 3 wheel all terrain buggy as it aint exactly a lightweight McLaren stroller.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrewGeddes, it's entertaining isn't it? Laughing

No I don't think they will bat an eyelid at your 3 wheeler, we took one with us on numerous holidays until we switched to a buggy and always got that plus a car seat plus a big bundled up package of nappies through no questions asked, don't worry about that Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrewGeddes wrote:
sarah, just off the phone to crystal ski and it looks like i wont be taking the snowboard on holiday , just the skis. Ski carriage apparently is 1 pair of skis and poles .

that has always been the official position.

But they have never been rigorous in checking that in the past.

I have never had my ski bag either weighed or opened.

Quote:

ski boots can be in a boot bag or my hold baggage but can wejgh no more than 20 kgs. Any ski trip i have been on before ski carriage was always skis , poles and boots. And i'm pretty sure that when we booked the holiday over a year ago ski carriage was skis, boots , poles. when did Crystal change this?

A lot more than a year ago.

Quote:

p.s my boots are a size 13 and weigh 7kgs .

Ouch.

I haven't actually weighed mine, but I'm pretty sure they aren't that much. I normally finish up with my main case (which has the bootys and most of my clothes in it) at somewhere around 17-19Kg.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went out with them on jan 2nd - two sets of skis paid for - , each bag holding 2.25 sets of skis & 3 poles ( because we pack our little ones skis across the 2 bags
and there seemed to be no issue with that

two points - 1 they dont do a child skis carriage option - but often the child gets a free flight

second point - they often do 2 for 1 on ski carriage - a bit of thinking ahead, means you can take twice as much in terms of skis and pay the same anyhow - just look for the offers when booking
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy