Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed Cameras on Autoroute Blanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mornin all.
Word is that there are 2 new speed cameras gone in this past week.

1/ as you move from 70 to 110 after the Migros/Annemasse junction direction Lyon/Paris.
2/ as you come down from 100,000kph to 30kph at the Bardonex douanes post on the border.
I have seen this one, it was like a disco as every car was flashed. 30 feels like walking speed but the camera is right beside the sign.
Be warned.

Sorry if someone has already posted this, I have been very busy and not on S.H. so often this year.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 25-01-11 13:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you print out your French route on Via Michelin in the UK before you go every speed camera location is shown, it is updated regularly.
But quite frankly if you miss a French speed Camera you shouldnt be driving!
They are signed up in adavnce then there are usually at least 2 spped limit reminders and the the camera which has stripes like ours (although the camera is smaller)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The one down to the border at Bardonex is a real naughty one. Tiny skinny camera on the central reservation.

There are 3 descreasing limit signs: 70kph, 50kph and 30kph spaced about 75 metres apart. The camera is set at the 50kph speed limit.

Also, it is not signed in advance, as I think there was a change in the French law not so long ago, which means that newly located speed cameras do not have to have the 'speed camera warning' sign that was normally 500m before the actual camera.

And, yes, it was certainly like a disco yesterday!

Cheers.

Andrew
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DallyPaul, thank for the warnings Is the Bardonnex one on the French side, as you go towards Sz?

Also useful to remember that there speed limit between Bardonnex and the airport varies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes on the French side. A bit cheeky really. By the way can you please remove the apostrophie (sp???) from the title please
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamexpress wrote:

Also, it is not signed in advance, as I think there was a change in the French law not so long ago, which means that newly located speed cameras do not have to have the 'speed camera warning' sign that was normally 500m before the actual camera.

It is signed on the right hand side of the autoroute before the 70kph sign. There was indeed a change in the law. I think speed cameras still have to be signed but the sign can be further away from the camera. I'd never heard of an accident at Bardonnex itself but I guess it is a bit hairy if you are a pedestrian trying to cross the road. Should be a nice little earner.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must admit, I have looked for the second one at the Migros interchange, and cannot see it, so think my informant is wrong. OOps.Sorreeee.
P.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the tip

I go through Bardonnex quite often so it's well worth knowing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

But quite frankly if you miss a French speed Camera you shouldnt be driving!

Does not apply to the numerous well hidden, sometimes unmarked, cars with mobile speed guns we saw on the way to and fro last week. Shocked

Didn't bother us of course as we were sticking to the limits - coz if you do this you will never need to worry Blush
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The cars with someone hanging out the window with a speed gun are an opening to a whole world of pain, espcially if you are more than 30kph over the limit, don't for one minute think that being in a UK plated car is some how going to help you out.

Spotted 3 of these on a cross country trip in france from La Mongie to the Loire valley, hidding in some really sneaky locations. My french partners family have said these are becoming more and more common.

Remember a french driver flashing (not what some of you are thinking Smile ) you nearlly always means a police car parked up and waiting for you, thankfully a decent percent of french drivers still do this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
adie, I saw a few in my drive up to the UK last winter - three at least, and there were probably a few unmarked cars too.

One of them had pulled over a Belgian-plated BMW who had been tailgating me really aggressively a few kms back, which brought a wry smile to my face as I passed. Very Happy

It is easy to get carried away though in many modern cars, especially on the emptier sections of the Autoroute. I can easily creep comfortably over the speed limit without noticing as the car is so smooth and quiet, whereas my first car, a Mini 850, would have been complaining loudly by that stage.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And as one of the unmarked cars we sat was a Subaru Impreza don't assume that you can outrun them either
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The main problem with the autoroutes are frequent changes in the speed limits from 130 to 110 to 90 etc and too many conflicting speed limit signs in some places. Have a lorry in front of the sign and bam that will be 80 euro please sir. The best trick is to whack in a speed camera and drop the limit in the zone by 20kp/h.

The police can be a bit nasty too. My missus dealt with a case where the police were booking people for rolling a stop sign... only the stop sign was hidden by an overgrown tree and the solid white line was worn to a series of blips.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the police in waiting for speeding drivers are still around. I received this in an email last night from a friend who drove home from the French alps on Sunday. I have left in the completely irrelevant bit about the motor caravans as I think it's funny.

Quote:
Once we were down from the mountains the weather changed from sunny and clear blue skies to foggy murk - temp inversion. Was horrid till well after Dijon. Were cheered up in the Geneva area when we spotted three what I can only describe as gnome homes - bizarrely customised campervans, German I think. The first resembled a large rustic wooden shed, the second had chosen the traditional curved topped gypsy caravan look and the third and most hideously magnificent had brickwork effect with appliquéd boulders, tree trunks and climbing plants. As we drove past I was infinitely disappointed not to find them being driven by little old men in lederhosen, feather bedizened trilbys and hand carved wooden pipes protruding from spectacular facial hair! Ah well my reverie was swiflty halted (as was my speed) by the sight of a police van joining the strange convoy. Was a bit of a day for the French rozzers as we spotted them parked at the side of the autoroute - one lot had a gendarme pointing a speed gun thing at the more adventurous, daring motorists. Having spotted them sufficiently well in advance we passed by at a suitably sedate pace. Not so alert or fortunate were the speeding Belgians further along who failed to notice the long line of motorists in the nearside lane carefully following a police motorbike, despite its blue flashing light, and the fact that the 'fast' lane was completely empty. They shot by and were soon being subjected to flashing headlamp and arm firmly suggesting that they pull over. Peter muttered something about being sure next trip to be carrying sufficient Euros for fine paying purposes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy