Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm men's mittens

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to supplement my gloves with a pair of mittens for colder days (my fingers get really cold). Any recommendations? I'm not too worried about cost - you can't put a price on toastie fingers Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Hestra ones at S&R (£64.99 HES0029KK) are fairly warm as they have a glove inside the mitt. However if you are due to be the other side of the pond at any point I would look there as they seem to have a much wider selection.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got some of these a few months ago. Well made, and at various points last week they were too warm - I had to just use the under gloves to let my hands cool down. http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Level_STORM_RIDER_XCR_Mitt_Unisex_MediumLarge_Black-%2819555%29.aspx

Under gloves with a mitt over the top. Flexible and really very warm. Other upside to this is that you can take the mitt off, do what you need to do, zips etc, without hands getting cold. Then mitts just chuck over the top and you're off.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to say that hestra do make good gloves. the warmest i've ever used were 'gordino' i think - they had goose down in them. as for the ones that Monium's linked, I had a pair of very expensive level gloves which weren't very good and couldn't handle the cold temps in st anton (like -10) - but i havent used the ones in that link, they were actually gloves as well and no mittens.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I didn't know males aged over 5 wore mittens.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ajpaul, Hestra mits superb. Significantly better than Black Diamond Gauntlet.

landmannnn, Small cock?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
these rule:
http://www.47degrees.com/PRODUCTS/Products-By-Brand/Hestra/Ski-Gloves-Liners/i/1027/n/Hestra-Mens-Army-Leather-Heli-Ski-3-Finger-Glove.aspx

Best of both worlds - day one of course, 1 pair - by the end of a particularly cold week, 4 pairs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monium - do they come with a removable insert?

BobinCH, I'm toying with the Hestra mitts. I've got the Heli ski gloves, and it was those that my hands recently got cold in (admittedly at -15, while standing around for an hour).

landmann - BMW driver?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajpaul, yes, they do. The inner glove is an almost normal glove (I use them in the indoor slope at Hemel, and for a few hours in resort) and there's a thin fleece lined mitt over the top. I did a week in Tignes at average minus 18, never felt the cold for a second.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few years ago I bought some North Face mitts and haven't looked back! Think they were about £50. They're the feather down ones, got another pair with a glove inside but for warmth these can't be beaten! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suffer from Raynaud's (ie. very sensitive to cold fingers & other bits)
I have a pair of Extremities mitts for cold days, so enormous they are a bit unmanageable, but very warm & hard wearing.
I have an outrageously expensive pair of Black Diamond leather gloves for other days.
... and I am a huge fan of those tea-bag chemical hand warmers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all,

Seal skin mittens are what the Inuit traditionally use, as they are very warm - even in the middle of the winter in the Arctic! I spent some time in Nunavut, and have since learned to make their traditional 'pualuks'. I make them in all sizes (adult women/men; children). you can check them out here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/102530910/inuit-seal-skin-mittens
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beely, Nice fur. I think you might need to be a little careful shipping seal fur products into Europe?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Montane Resolute mitt is on my wishlist. It isn't as pretty as the Hestras, but it is a few pennies cheaper.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
ajpaul, Hestra mits superb. Significantly better than Black Diamond Gauntlet.

I've been eyeing out the Black Diamond mercury mitt for the upcoming season because my Hestra mitts are great until it's really cold.

But your comment has given me pause because both the BD gauntlet (assuming you're talking about the guide gauntlet) and the BD mercury mitt are rated for -29 to -40 degrees C and yet you're saying the Hestra mitts are better...
snow report
RichardJHJ, +1 for them, absolute brilliant. I have the same Hestra Army in a normal glove for warmer days but the 3 finger glove is the business, never get cold hands even at minus 15-20C, used to but not since I've got these.

Good dollop of porridge in a morning usually helps too, warm core etc. Seriously if you dont eat properly before setting out, or are skiing with a hangover and losing heat you will IME get cold hands, the blood is pulled from extremeties to your core. The colder it is the worse the effect..............obvious but oft forgot. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I have the Hestra three finger glove. They have a thinnish fleecy liner (for all 5 fingers which sort of defeats the purpose of a mitt) and a very thin 3 finger shell....imho they are useless in the cold.

I recommend the Marmot Expedition Mitt which has some serious insulation (I'm on my 2nd pair).
http://marmot.com/products/expedition_mitt
ski holidays
I have some of these. Must say for the money they are a great warm glove.

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/SSkinco901med
snow report
North face mountain guide mitts. Warmest I have ever tried
snow report
North face mountain guide mitts. Warmest I have ever tried
snow report
Zero-G, I use the BD Guide gloves and they are fantastic. I actually choose them over the Hestra stuff mainly for the wool lining. Very warm and well made. Their glove range in general is excellent IMO.
snow report
Thanks meh, I'm still leaning towards giving the BD mitts a try.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy