Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No new significant snow in the French Alps for the next two weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Is that right?

Title edited to be specific

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-02-11 23:20; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No. It's almost certain to snow this week in the Eastern Alps, with a fair chance of snow in the Western Alps on Wednesday. Next week, who knows?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevomcd, snow forecast and Meteo France next 9 days is only snowing light snow showers (and 0mm) for the Tarentaisse Monday Weds and next weekend Skullie
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow Forecast are a load of pish, Meteo France has snow for Wednesday and Thursday for us. There's also a promising blip for Wed/Thurs on the ensemble forecasts and the met office's synoptic charts also allow for something. I did say a "fair chance", no guarantees! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lots of man made snow though
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, only if you are in the wrong country Laughing Take a look at the "very low" Kitzbühel area on the box right now wink

Berfex has some interesting forecasts for a big dump of snow across the eastern Alps on Tues/Weds! Bring it on Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Small amount of snow forecast for Bardonecchia Wednesday/Thursday, the locals reckon there will be a big dump on the 2nd Feb. Luckily cold enough to make snow so the pistes are actually quite good, especially with my new skis NehNeh
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, I think a fair few of us are glued to nozawaonsen's posts on the weather outlook thread. These are the comments and predictions I'm backing!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, If U can, go to Appeninis, mid Italie, there is a big snowdump now,, Im in Rome and waiting for a friend, and we are going to Roccaraso, 200km from Rome airport, and 150km from Napoli Very Happy
http://www.roccaraso.net/sport/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
freeheelskier, Roccaraso is a great day out. Spent a couple of very enjoyable days their a few years ago.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Is that right?

I hope not, heading to your manor next weekend...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go east young man.

20-40cm on the ground this morning (depending on aspect and wind transport) in Popova Shapka, Macedonia.

TR to follow Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have hear from friends that North Greece have exelent snow for this moment Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A fair amount of fresh powder in last 24 hrs in Engelberg.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just finished a days skiing in sestriete and saux d'oulx the snow is great. A little hard in places and getting shiny, lots of snow canons on. Off piste is cruddy and icy, but soft if you look.
snow report
Over 30cms of new snow in the Jungfrau region, Switzerland over the last two days !
ski holidays
another dusting in France Confused
snow report
30 cms forecast for Salzburger Land in the next couple of days.
snow conditions
Another 30cm of new today in Popova Shapka. And still coming down Smile
snow conditions
This spell of weather is a good illustration of why people asking 6 months in advance about where to go in mid January are so often advised to book at the last minute. Then you can see where the snow is! And given that just about everywhere has plenty of available accommodation, you won't miss out unless you are extraordinarily fuss about where you go.

There really isn't much argument for a couple, or a small group, booking in advance for this time of year. Half term is different; but that's just one week!
ski holidays
Mike Pow, it looks like there is plenty more heading down that way over the next two weeks as well...
latest report
pam w, I agree that it is difficult to suggest what the weather is going to be like at a certain time. It depends whether you want to go DIY or tour operator I would suggest on when to book. Independent travel costs in terms of flights and trains tend to increase in price closer to the date. For instance I prebooked my travel for March early as possible and by checking eurostar and TGV prices currently I've saved myself about £150. If I had prebooked cheap flights to say Geneva without accomodation to follow the snow outside of peak period I would say with current conditions it'd be a long drive to get particularly with maybe the exception of Courmayeur that seems to be doing pretty well to get considerably better snow.

But yes if you are happy to go with a tour op or happy to drive then your right I would personally wait, but unfortunately your mode of travel is an important factor on when you can book.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Mike Pow, it looks like there is plenty more heading down that way over the next two weeks as well...

snowHead

Another 10-15cm overnight and still coming down.
latest report
Not looking too bad in parts of Austria this morning either... wink
snow report
Christopher, yes, flights are generally cheaper in advance, that's true. But some airports are within reach of quite big areas - e.g. Turin, Geneva.
snow report
It seems that some people think the alps stop at the French border!
ski holidays
Quote:

This spell of weather is a good illustration of why people asking 6 months in advance about where to go in mid January are so often advised to book at the last minute. Then you can see where the snow is!

Good advice but not always possible. Particularly if work holidays and/or getting kids out of school has to be booked well in advance.
snow report
Quote:

Particularly if work holidays and/or getting kids out of school has to be booked well in advance.

Well you can do all that in advance - then sit tight. Otr book in advance and get the package (or DIY) you want, and hope for the best. The beauty of January is lots of last minute choice - th since I've been really paying attention March has seen better conditions than most of January, at least in France.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and nothing forecast for the next 10 days, it's getting a bit close to a month with no new significant snowfall isn't it Sad
snow report
Boredsurfing, you still have the wrong title for this thread. There was heavy snow across much of the Austrian Alps last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and heavy snow in the Italian Milky Way over the weekend. Fair point that it is still quite dry in the French Alps.
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
and nothing forecast IN FRANCE for the next 10 days, it's getting a bit close to a month IN FRANCE with no new significant snowfall IN FRANCE isn't it Sad

Just made some minor corrections there. Toofy Grin Not gloating, it's horrible. Must blame La Nina. Just one of those seasons and we were overdue one.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, Bode Swiller, Title altered wink To take into account those backwaters of outbound UK skiing Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 2-02-11 23:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Boredsurfing, that must've hurt. Brave man.
snow report
Bode Swiller, nah, minorities will always have their little places I guess wink
But this was just posted on the Austria snow report thread Toofy Grin
Quote:
Shame about the snow just above the Bad Gastein - no snowmaking and it shows - lots of brown spots everywhere.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66219&start=480#1714812
snow report
The Pyrenees have the snow in france Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing, I'll send you a full report from monday. I expect to find the best conditions on the upper slopes!
latest report
Oh ye of little faith. Pistes will be refreshed by HT, well GM pistes atl least. wink
latest report
There won't be any significant snow until the NAO of the jet stream moves further south. The European high is sitting south of the jet stream and will remain stubbornly in place until the jet stream can fire low pressure systems at it.

It will happen but jet stream forecasts don't show any major movement for the next couple of weeks.

At the moment the jet stream is hitting Scotland with a vengeance. If you don't mind 80mph winds, there will be plenty of snow in the Highlands.
latest report
I was in the 3 valleys last week and can honestly say that the snow condition was poor. Would class myself as a good intermediate and the amount of ice on all grades of runs was frustrating and in some parts not enjoyable although i realise some people enjoy the ice. A serious amount of snow is required over a few days to provide a good base for the rest of the season. trouble is next 7 days does not show any snow either. make sure those edges are in top condition - you will need them Crying or Very sad ..planning to go back in march so hopefully it will all be different by then.
ski holidays
pauljames, I've just got back from almost two weeks in Tignes.

Tignes and VdI pistes were in great condition and the cold conditions stopped it getting icy (snow needs to melt and then re-freeze to form ice). That said, the pisties were seriously mining snow when we left and we wondered how it would hold up if the temps increased.

I don't think I have ever seen great big areas of scree on the Grande Motte before.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy