Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine and birthday cakes!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are visiting Flaine for the first time this year and our sons 6th birthday is the day after we arrive. I am looking to buy a birthday cake locally-nothing flashy just something for him to blow candles out and 10 kids to demolish. The hotel(Le Totem) has "kindly" offered to make a cake for our party of 18 at 5 euros per person!!!! Ahem! Not really what I was thinking! Any ideas anyone who knows the resort. Would bring one of Asda's finest novelty cakes with us but don't think it will survive baggage handling!!
Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been to Flaine on my birthday the last 2 years, and my boyfriend has always bought a cake out there! In Flaine Foret (just above the Forum, 5 mins walk away by the orange box, funicular railway) is a Spa mini market, and next to that is a gorgeous bakery that sells lovely cakes and pastries. If you go up there on arrival, you would def be able to get one for the following eve, not sure on price, but certainly cheaper than the hotel (although prob not as cheap as Asda!!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vixthevet, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

Have celebrated two of our youngests Birthdays in Flaine. M&S both times but then we had the car. Would a birthday cake not be ok in hand baggage? Maybe worth a try.

Same son is a bit miffed that he will actually be in UK for his Birthday this year for the first time in four years, and not quite sure what he will do with himself, apart from go to school Toofy Grin He will be going skiing at the end of that week though, so can't complain.

EDIT to add that the bakery mentioned by Claire is very good, although we haven't had large cakes there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
vixthevet, The bakery (called Le Moulin Blanc) is excellent. We use it most days when we're there. It's usually my birthday in HT but not this year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ClaireM wrote:
Been to Flaine on my birthday the last 2 years, and my boyfriend has always bought a cake out there! In Flaine Foret (just above the Forum, 5 mins walk away by the orange box, funicular railway) is a Spa mini market, and next to that is a gorgeous bakery that sells lovely cakes and pastries. If you go up there on arrival, you would def be able to get one for the following eve, not sure on price, but certainly cheaper than the hotel (although prob not as cheap as Asda!!)

Thanks very much-will certainly check it out!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou wrote:
vixthevet, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

Have celebrated two of our youngests Birthdays in Flaine. M&S both times but then we had the car. Would a birthday cake not be ok in hand baggage? Maybe worth a try.

Same son is a bit miffed that he will actually be in UK for his Birthday this year for the first time in four years, and not quite sure what he will do with himself, apart from go to school Toofy Grin He will be going skiing at the end of that week though, so can't complain.

EDIT to add that the bakery mentioned by Claire is very good, although we haven't had large cakes there.

Thanks for that-will check re bringing in hand baggage !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
billb wrote:
vixthevet, The bakery (called Le Moulin Blanc) is excellent. We use it most days when we're there. It's usually my birthday in HT but not this year.

Cheers-thanks for everyone's help. Glad I discovered snowheads!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter`s birthday is at Christmas, and the hotel ( Ski Total ) has twice made a big choc cake for free. Any French restaurant worth their salt will always treat a youngster to free gateaux when it is birthday time ( or we have been very lucky)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used to spend Christmas, and thus the eldest's birthday on 23rd December, in Niederau in Austria - and the hotel would always produce a large chocolate torte with candles etc for him. I think this just got lost in the bill somewhere, we never quite knew what we were going to pay till the end and it never seemed o go up over the years. Perhaps we were lucky.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vixthevet, I bet a Colin the Caterpillar cake will travel fine in hand luggage. Give him his own bag so you can treat it with extra care! Have a great holiday!

We had Easter in Courchevel 1850 and I took Easter goodies out with us - little choc bunnies, eggs etc. My daughter was 4/5 at the time and I didnt know she actually believed in the Easter Bunny so she wasnt impressed when she woke up to find my shop bought stuff that she had seen travel with us spread out all over the bedroom. "what did the Easter Bunny get me?" - she wasnt being greedy - just didnt understand why the Easter Bunny hadnt left her stuff. ph had to go off to the local shop and buy a chocolate bunny - they only do artisan and it cost about £20 Shocked Laughing then to top it all off the hotel must have liked us as they dropped off all of their display Easter choc stuff in our room one night (like chocs on your pillow). We must have had a hundred Euros worth (it was a VERY nice hotel). Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott, Colin the Caterpillars are the best value shop bought imo Very Happy Has to be the genuine M&S though. While we're on the subject of Birthdays in the Alps, helium balloons travel fairly well in a roofbox and up to about 1800m. You're pushing your luck to get them home again though.

I'll have to arrange a surprise weekend away one early Feb for Public Enemy who has never had the pleasure of celebrating in the snow. He is going to get a special 16th ski/hockey cake next weekend crafted by a clever friend though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
vixthevet, cakes from a good quality French patisserie will generally cost around 2/3 euros per person/helping. They bear no resemblance to anything you can buy at Asda though. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
vixthevet, cakes from a good quality French patisserie will generally cost around 2/3 euros per person/helping. They bear no resemblance to anything you can buy at Asda though. wink

No but we are talking about a 6 year old here wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou wrote:
He is going to get a special 16th ski/hockey cake next weekend crafted by a clever friend though.

Here it is, not one to travel with. I've already had to call the ski tech in to do some hasty repairs after carrying it from my friend's car.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lou, now that's clever - I wish I could decorate cakes like that! Happy 16th to Public Enemy!
snow report
geetee, feeling sick now Laughing Have passed on your wishes. Not long now eh? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Lou, the only possible fly in the ointment could be a BA cabin crew strike. I've got a bad feeling that there will be one in the next month or so.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy