Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What actually happens in ski school?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm off to La Rosiere on Saturday for a weeks skiing with my boyfriend. I've been skiing every year since I was a kid, however I've never had a "proper" lesson - my parents taught me. My boyfriend is a complete beginner apart from a one day "learn to ski" Tamworth course. We're going to La Rosiere.

He's obviously going to need ski school, and I thought I might as well get some lessons at the same time so I'm not skiing around on my own, and hopefully improve my technique.

Having never been to ski school before I have a few questions... We'll be getting ESF 6 x2.5 hour lessons each. (levels are detailed here: http://www.esflarosiere.com/ski-school-la-rosiere/ski-adultes/collectif-adultes.jsp?language=en_US).

1) I'm thinking he'll be low intermediate, he can snowplough down the Tamworth slope although his turns aren't that controlled - however he's fit and sporty so I think he'll improve vastly, and total beginner lessons might be a waste of time as the first 2 days will cover what he already knows from Tamworth... Are there different levels of beginner/ low intermediate groups?

2) I can pretty much ski anything in good conditions, parallel turn etc, bit nervy on icy blacks but fine apart from that... although as I've never had a lesson (so may not have the right style) would it be best to go for "upper intermediate" or "advanced" level?

3) What actually happens in a lesson? Especially the advanced kind of lessons? Is it just a "follow me" kind of exercise? Will you get a break in the 2.5 hours lesson? Can the instructors speak good english generally?

Any help and advice greatfully received. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd imagine there'd be a bit of a ski off first lesson, so that they can make sure you're in the right group and move people around should it be necessary.
You'll probably be more of a problem, having never had a lesson, there maybe some work required on the fundamentals. Best leave it to the instructor to assess.

When I teach I'm Italy, I'd only stop if someone needed a comfort stop, or if clients were cold and needed a warm up.
The Instructor should be capable of teaching in English, but there's nothing to say that the whole group will be English
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
icedgemma, You'll be 'advanced' for ski school purposes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any good ski school will apart from abosolute begginers ask you to ski down a slope and assess your skiing and then put you into the right group. As the week goes on they will also move you around if you are better than the group you are with. In most ski schools the instructors speak good English in busy periods sometimes you will find extra staff drafted in who do not speak English quite as well. Biggest problem wiht next week is that in low season there can be less groups so a more varied amount of abilities in each group or mixed language groups with lessons in both English and French.

With regard to more advanced classes they do tend to be a lot of "follow me".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am sceptical of group lessons as the level of feedback varies. Try to get to the front of the pack when doing a drill - so when you ski down you can get feedback and then maybe also hear what the instructor has to say about others - seeing what is right and wrong with other people's techique is useful.

As for your bf - he might be a day ahead but still sounds very much like a beginner to me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
icedgemma, ESF in La Rosiere were very good. They have some native English speakers, French instructors spoke good English, and level of tuition was good , although it was a few years ago now. Class sizes weren't huge either. Our January classes had about 6 people in them, and were a mix of English and English-speaking Dutch and Scandinavians.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's weird having been skiing for 15 years and never having been to ski school! Smile I really don't know what to expect but your helpful comments give me a bit of a better idea.

What kind of level would my bf be at after his week's lessons? Would I be able to take him on some of the easier reds? The first couple of afternoons I'm thinking he's going to want to be snowploughing the greens.. and maybe a blue or two! I'm gonna get freeeeeezing! Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
icedgemma, I think your BF will stay on the resort drag lifts until the instructor is able to confidently stick the group on the main chair. The blue back to resort, Tetras, is a great run for the likes of him as it has some shallow bits and some steeper bits. Once he is comfortable on that run you can tackle just about any of the reds in resort. If you are having lessons from Les Eucherts then the same rules apply, just a different chair and blue run down (Eucherts Express & Gelinotte).

I think you have made a wise choice to have lessons as you have. I can also say that the experiences we have had with ESF in La Rosiere have been excellent. Where will you be staying in resort?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
icedgemma wrote:

What kind of level would my bf be at after his week's lessons? Would I be able to take him on some of the easier reds? The first couple of afternoons I'm thinking he's going to want to be snowploughing the greens.. and maybe a blue or two! I'm gonna get freeeeeezing! Shocked

If you are going to la rosiere I think you would be doing wide blues with your bf for the first couple of afternoons. The nearest runs to the resort centre are blue. Some of the reds are not too bad so I expect he will manage them later in the week. Leave the red fontaine froide run for a few days as when we skiied it there were a few stones to avoid - it is lower than the other runs and snow cover not so good.

I would recommend taking a balaclava to la rosiere. It is cold and windy and the lifts are slow. Other than that it is a lovely resort and we enjoyed skiing on the la thuile side too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
UPDATE JUST IN FROM THE SNOWHEAD SPY IN LA ROS:
"We still need snow but the slopes are holding up very well. La Rosiere has been rated as one of the best conditions in the Alps at the moment."
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The lower pistes in La Rosiere are closed and will not open before you get there (Marmottes Bas, Fontaine Froid & Ecudets) That is a shame as they are great runs Crying or Very sad HOWEVER, just about all La Thuile is open so hopefully you may get accross there on a lesson.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think you have made a wise choice to have lessons as you have. I can also say that the experiences we have had with ESF in La Rosiere have been excellent. Where will you be staying in resort?

Well we chose La Rosiere due to there being lots of good blues and it not being so "daunting" a resort as the bigger resorts, it being high and therefore more likely to have good conditions, and getting a good last minute deal. We're staying with SkiBeat in Les Eucherts, Chalet Papillon 2 (I'm fully aware of the mixed reviews of SkiBeat here and elsewhere on the net, we got a good last minute deal and hopefully it'll work out ok, not much I can do about it now it's booked anyway!)

So we'll probably be getting the lessons from Les Eucherts as it's just near the chalet. Although I think we might have to go through to the main bit of La Ros for lessons if they aren't running them from Les Eucherts due to numbers (probably more applicable for me, not sure there'll be as many advanced classes as beginners ones..)

Good news on lots of wide blues, and I think he'll be very chuffed if he can do reds by the end of the week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are staying in les eucharts I'd book the lessons there. We stayed in that area and children had esf lessons and much preferred it to the main part of la rosiere. You can walk to the main part of la rosiere through the woods in about 15 mins. However if you were in ski gear and carrying skis you'd have to take the bus which would be a nuisance. However if you book with Evolution 2 I think they would send a minibus to pick you up for lessons at the main part of la rosiere.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
icedgemma, I am sure Ski Beat will be fine. I had a walk aroung Les EUcherts centre at Christmas and it is a nice spot. There is a nice lit path through the woods to la Rosiere and on the chalet night off I can recommend Le Petit Danois in La Rosiere for value and quality Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will certainly be trying Le Petit Danois, went to the Val D'Isere branch many times on uni ski trips... It's a good place!
Thanks for advice everyone Smile
snow report
Quick question on this if anyone is about today?

I'm off to Montgenvre with my gf on Sat. She's a complete beginner and is booked with ESF for morning lessons. ANy idea what I might be able to expect her to be able to do onthe first afternoon in particular?

I'd like to be able to take her to see more of the mountain in the afternoon, and maybe work on the things she's been taught in her lessons.
latest report
only_jukes, Welcome to snowHead
If she has never skied, I'd expect her to be v tired and, if she has the energy, be needing to practise what she has been tought in the morning on the beginner's slopes. Be patient with her and let her decide what she wants to do.
snow report
Cheers for that.

It's hard to know what to expect I learnt as a teenager and was skiing reds with parallel turns by the end of my first week, so kind of expecting her to pick it up as quick.

At least I'll get the mornings to have a blast though!!

Do you happen to know what options there are for me to get a few hours of lessons?

Been a while since I've had any and y technique could probably do with a bit of tweeking.
snow report
Quote:

I'm gonna get freeeeeezing!

No need to get freezing - lots of stuff you can do to keep warm. Hopping (front of skis, then back, then both alternately, practise changing edges in the air, etc etc etc ), stepping all the way round turns. Ski backwards. Try to do 360s. You'll be warm as toast.

only_jukes, from my own experience of skiing with beginners who are doing lessons I'd strongly suggest you don't take her onto any slopes she's not done with the instructor. It's incredibly easy, when you can ski well, to forget that "there's just a short steeper bit" in the middle of that blue run, and have someone freaking out. She might not be as fast a learner as a sporty teenage lad - and it's really very easy to put people off for life, if you're not careful. A short ski and a long stop for a nice drink might be all you'll do in the afternoons.

Mind you, you could find she has absolutely no idea which runs she did with the instructor. It's easy to pay no attention to the surroundings when you're in lessons.
snow conditions
And another point, icedgemma, "follow me" lessons can be very helpful as the instructor will lay down a high quality line for you to follow. If you watch from chairlifts you will see a lot of people doing zig zags down the piste, rather than nice round turns - skiing behind an instructor can teach you a lot. Especially if, as suggested, you try to be near the front and follow his/her tracks exactly. Not cutting corners and skidding. I joined a class once, when my OH had to go home unexpectedly, and joined a class which others in the chalet were in (ESF). they were rather better skiers than I was, and I was afraid I might be too slow. I told the instructor that if I wasn't fast enough for the group, I'd be happy to be demoted. He told me firmly that the problem would be whether I was slow enough, and made me follow him closely down a steep red slope, doing short and very controlled turns - I really struggled, and saw exactly what he meant. I could have skied down it fine if allowed to go faster. wink My technique was just rubbish.

It would be interesting if you reported back here about your experience.
latest report
Hey everyone,

Well I'm back from the holiday and have the following to report on the ESF lessons:

My boyfriend was an extremely fast learner!
Day 0 when we arrived we had 2 hours to practice on the free green slope by the chalet - snowplough turns and learning to use the button lift for my boyfriend...
By the end of day 1 (having been put in the low intermediates class after his learn to ski in a day course at the snowdome) he was doing parallel turns on a blue run, but was very tired after 2-3 long runs.
By end of day 3 he was skiing slowly and controlled parallels down a red run.
By the end of day 6 he was skiing black runs probably better than I was...!! (with my 15 years of experience) He wasn't skiing fast, but not slow either, with controlled turns... I was amazed!! We missed ski school on the final day and skied together all day - loads of runs and he was not tired at all!

He thought that the low intermediate class was right for him, learning technique on blue and red slopes, and then skiing reds with me in the afternoons. He had 5 people in his class.

I really enjoyed my advanced lessons, learnt carving techniques, skiing on one ski, some backwards skiing, short turns for black slopes and some other stuff. Most days we only had 3 people in the class which I was very pleased with. Some of the lessons were "follow me" but with there being so few in the class there was quite a lot of individual "coaching" kind of stuff which was helpful.

I'll write a full trip report when I get a chance, and comment on the other aspects of the hol, but write the experience of the lessons only here.
snow conditions
icedgemma, sounds really good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy