Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootfitters in Dublin ??

Poster: A snowHead
I have been renting boots for the past 20+ years of skiing. I have been reluctant to buy boots as every time I hire boots I have to change them after a days skiing even though they felt ok in the rent shop. Question is , are there any good fitters in Dublin and what happens if my feet die after a day skiing when away ?? Would I be better buying when away even though this takes up valuable ski time. Thanks in advance.
Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No good bootfitters in Dublin, and if there are, there are no shops that carry a large enough range.
You'll be sold whatever boot they have in your size. ie foot length. Don't waste youre money.
Most resort ski shops stay open late so no need to miss out on valuable ski time. Rent boots for the week and when you buy on the first or second evening, they'll take the rental price off the cost of the boots in most shops.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deadly Dave, I bought my first pair of boots in Pas De La Casa, my second in Alpe D'Huez and both were decent enough....BUT I bought a pair in Snow+Rock in Dundrum and they're by far the best, I got the custom footbeds fitted too, they took a day or two to get used to but now I don't know what I ever did without them.

jimmjimm, I would've agreed with you when all we had to choose from was the Great Outdoors, but this is not the case anymore, I've been so happy with S+R (even though they're pricey hoors) I bought my new Salomon Tornados and the Wifes Volkl Aires from them....threw a decent double bag in too, can't complain about that?

I'm flying to St Anton in two weeks time, we arrive mid morning.....me and her are heading straight up the Galzig for the day, ALL on ROI bought equipment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deadly Dave, Ask for Charlie (American dude)....he's a brilliant techie.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Deadly Dave, I've also been recommended to use Snow+Rock in Dublin by a very reputable reference, though I've yet to do so as I'm based in Cork & might just squeeze another season out of my trusty 10 year old Salomons.

Definitely get the customised footbeds though wherever you buy. Also you can use in resort boot speciialists to tweak boot fitting regardless of where you purchased them, although I'm pretty sure they'll charge something for this.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deadly Dave, S&R Ask for Dan or Charlie are both top quality, and will take their time to get it right. Weekdays are always a good time to get boots done as it tends to be quiet.

They have even managed to fit boots for one of the fussiest gits I have ever know he is worse than Imelda Marcus! But he bought and got fitted there and it is the longest he has had a pair of boots, Also there are huge savings to be made at the mo buying from UK retailers with the Exchange rates. In most cases it is cheaper than buying in resort.

I know it is not Dublin but MCSki in Belfast are very good to.

AVOID 53 DEGREES AT ALL COST!!!!! I HAVE YET TO HAVE A CLIENT WITH PROPERLY FITTED BOOTS FROM THAT SHOP

jimmjimm, You obviously shop in Great Outdoors Smile Smile Thankfully since S&R arrived they have improved but are still very hit and miss and allot of the bootfitters don’t even ski. S&R have a pretty comprehensive range actually quite good in Dublin. I Plus they also garuntee your boots if you are not happy they will fix, replace etc etc

Yes there is a premium but they do have a price promise!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will take a half day off and go to S&R. The question then is what happens if I buy a pair and they start killing my feet after a day on the slopes ?? Is the measuring/fitting good enough to prevent this ??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deadly Dave, You'll know more or less straight away if they don't fit, and you'll be in the shop long enough for them to start hurting you.....these guys know what they're doing with regards to what you need.
As I said earlier, custom footbeds are deffo the way to go, they feel odd at first but then you'll think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, and if you feel there's still an issue with your boots whilst you're away, every ski shop will adjust them for you at a charge, but if you speak up and very very honest whilst in S+R this will be unecessary.....where/when you off?

Fattes13, Not to be pedantic but it's MacSki (soz!) and yes I've used them loads of time but they may not be conducive to buying boots cos the distance and time required to do it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dazman, Apologies Very Happy

Deadly Dave, When they fit boots first they to tend to fit them a little tighter than required. It allows the footbed and the liner to bed down.

That said they should not be killing your feet. They may be a little tight at times but that will bed down. As above if they are not crippiling you in the shop and if you take enough time havign them on the slopes should not make a huge diffrence.

In the highly unlikley event they are murdering you away just bring them to the neareast shop after a days skiing and get them to take a look.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again for the help. I will let you know what happens. I dont have a date or place yet for this years holiday , I am waiting for some friends to make the arrangments.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fattes13 wrote:
Yes there is a premium but they do have a price promise!

I dont mine a premium so long as the boots are right snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Come to think of it lads....we should have a Snowheads Ireland group, info sharing, holiday advice, drinking....the kinda stuff we're good at.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think there was one once, there are a few of us and there are some regular meet and greets at the Ski CLub of Ireland, the Wicklow mountain and further afield
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe meet for a few gluvines up in Kilternan next time it snows Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
this year . I rented out boots as usual ,they were a litlte tight I thought but did not hurt in any way but my feet were absolutely FREEZING and numb , was this because the boots were a little too tight , I never suffer from cold feet ?
latest report
Fattes13,
Yep, it was 53% and great outdoors I was referring to alright. Must check out S+R in Dundrum.
snow report
alicia, It may mwell be, most common problem like this is too much pressure on top of the foot sending the toes numb and cold, all about balance of tight in the right places
ski holidays
Deadly Dave, if you fancy a trip north to Belfast, I would recommend Des in Climate as a boot fitter who seems to know what he is doing. I am just back from a week in Kitzbuhel and am very happy with the pair he fitted for me.
snow report
Thanks Pete, I will see how it goes in S&R first. Out of interest , how do shops adjust boots, do they add or remove some padding ??
latest report
Well, I dropped into S&R today just to have a look. I met Charlie and have arranged to call to him in about 10 days (he is going away). The fitting/testing equipment looks impressive, so I am excited about getting a good fitting pair of boots Blue
snow report
Deadly Dave wrote:
Thanks Pete, I will see how it goes in S&R first. Out of interest , how do shops adjust boots, do they add or remove some padding ??

Fitting in it's most basic form is measuring and selecting the correct shell for the foot, then the footbed then adding or removing padding or stretching or grinding the shell in areas to accommodate lumps and bumps..... It is a bit like the game that kids have where the round peg goes in the round hole and the square peg goes in the square hole, the key is making the hole (the boot) match the foot this can be simple or complex depending on the foot shape and biomechanics, just be sure to read up the info on the forum about shell sizing and go in to any shop as an educated consumer

Good luck getting it sorted
ski holidays
CEM, Thanks, I only worked out last season why I have problems with boots. I have wide feet , narrow heels and big calfs Laughing
I think that will test Charlie .
I am going to do a good bit of reading on here before then.
snow report
Yes - another thumbs up for Dan in Snow + Rock. I got a pair of boots from a previously mentioned shop and learned an uncomfortable and expensive lesson, after a chat with Fattes 13 I took his advice and went to see Dan - luckily the boots were ok for me but the git that fitted them initially caused all sorts of probs - new footbeds and a bit of tweeking over a couple of sessions and they're right on the button.
By the way pay close attention to what Fattes says on any equipment topics, he knows what he's at, and isn't afraid to speak his mind on "shite" gear.
latest report
Deadly Dave, Tell him your issues and he'll measure you up, each boot manufacturer has different characteristics and he'll find you the right one and adjust it to fit you, I was once 21 stone and they got a pair to fit my fat calves.....don't fret, it'll be fine.

....as for meeting up, if there's drink involved I'm deffo there!!!!
snow report
Bring on the irish section ..... Very Happy
snow report
I have been meaning to fill you in re the boots. I spent nearly two hours in S&R getting fitted by Charlie. I got custom foot beds. I was suprised there was only foot LENGHT measurements taken. After about five different tries I settled on Techina Phoenix Airshell 90 boots. I am skiing next week so we will see how they are then. Very happy with the service in S&R. Thank you for the recomendations.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 14-03-11 21:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Deadly Dave, intrigued as to what measurements you expected, i believe firmly that it is not just about foot measurements only, but interested to know what you as a consumer would expect
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
Deadly Dave, intrigued as to what measurements you expected, i believe firmly that it is not just about foot measurements only, but interested to know what you as a consumer would expect

Sorry. Above posted edited.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am back from a week of testing my new boots. They hurt !! I didnt get them adjusted over there as I thought the might need some time to bed in a bit.

CEM , I wasnt able to reply properly to your question beacuse I was posting on my phone. I would have expected lenght, width and height measurements to be taken of my feet. Its suprising at this stage,that there isnt a laser device that could take a complete profile of the foot and a computer would be able to match with a suitable boot.
ski holidays
I agree about expecting a full profile of the feet to be taken. There's all this talk about foot widths, pronation, volumes and packing down of liners, custom footbeds, etc, etc and yet when you get measured all they seem to concentrate on is your foot length. Seems to me that a lot of boot fitting is all talk or else many of the fitters are doing a half baked job.

Speaking of which I called into S&R in Dundrum a few weeks ago, and since I am from Cork this was a bit of a detour on a trip to Dublin and unfortunately I was not overly impressed to be honest. The range was limited (granted it was still early season i.e. October), I felt they did not really listen to me re my skiing ability, ambitions and what terrain I expected to ski. Their first question to me was what boot was I interested in? rather than what skill level am I and what do i expect to ski/hike/do in the boots. So I got the impression they would sell me whatever boot I had read good reviews of rather than recommending a good boot for my level of skiing.

When prompted they suggested 2 models of boots a Nordica F3 http://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/products/Fire-Arrow-F3-EN/?target=on_pist and a Salomon Impact 100 http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/impact-100-cs.html. I do a lot of off piste and a reasonable amount of hiking for powder, so I suggested to the fitter that maybe a combo touring/downhill type boot like the Salomon Quest or Ghost may be the kind of boot I should try. He didn't have that in stock but assured me that the Nordica would be way lighter than my existing, 10 year old, Salomon Evo7 downhill boot (which I had brought with me to show fitting, etc). I tested this claim and showed him that they both weighed the same. Subsequently I read on the Nordica website that the boot they were recommending for me is mostly recommended as an on-piste downhill boot by the manufacturer!! This despite me telling them repeatedly that I was looking for an all mountain boot or touring boot with good downhill performance. This kind of telling me what I wanted to hear approach has not impressed me at all and as a result I'm considering waiting till I get to Chamonix or La Grave over NYears to get fitted properly. Maybe the S&R folk will be fine if I persevere with them, and keep them under a watchful eye, but Charlie is gone and the others did not overly impress me at all thus far. Caveat Emptor...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy