Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Attention!! Everyone!! New Sporting Baggage Charges

Poster: A snowHead
I have noticed that both Cathay and QANTAS have changed their sporting Baggage charges.

With Cathay, not only is there NO ALLOWANCE FOR SKIS AND BOOTS AND SKI POLES, BUT THERE IS AN EXTRA $75 for odd sized baggage such as ski bags for everyone.
So if your skis makes you overweight, then you are up for $40 per kilo unless you are going to America. So please ensure you weigh everything if you are going ski-ing in Japan.

The Cathay Website was only changed since last Saturday.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Valve Bounce, reading their website you can still take 1 set of skis if it's within your weight allowance and they will view it as a bag that's 158cm long regardless of its actual dimensions. I think this is perfectly doable if you maximise your hand baggaage allowance which is generous (eg weekend bag plus laptop bag). The limit might technically be 7kgs but I've never seen them weigh it...

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_HK/helpingyoutravel/checkedbaggage#A

Also if you're a silver frequent flyer you get an extra 10kgs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, if I turned up for a Cathay flight with just one large (200cm long) ski bag which contained my skis and all my kit would I be able to fly without any additional baggage charges (assuming I was under my total weight allowance)?

Also, how many flights with them to get Silver status?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, 3 longhaul return flights roughly.

I think you'd need to phone and check. There doesn't appear to be a limit on number of pieces, so as long as it was all under your weight allowance i think you'd be ok with more than one bag.

Are you off to Japan?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1 wrote:
Are you off to Japan?
Yes, in Niseko for a couple of weeks next month. Flying BA on this occasion although we might run an Inside Out trip there next season so looking at flight options for next year as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
beanie1, if I turned up for a Cathay flight with just one large (200cm long) ski bag which contained my skis and all my kit would I be able to fly without any additional baggage charges (assuming I was under my total weight allowance)?

Also, how many flights with them to get Silver status?

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_AU/helpingyoutravel/checkedbaggage#C
Sporting Equipment

There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment; it can still be carried as part of your free checked baggage allowance, plus an additional odd-size charge if applicable. If sporting equipment is carried in addition to your free checked baggage allowance, you will need to pay extra baggage charges.

An additional odd-size charge of USD75 will be levied for each of the following sporting equipment:

* Snow/water skiing equipment
* Surfboarding equipment (including windsurfing equipment)
* Boating equipment consisting of one boat (canoe, kayak, scull etc) and one pair of oars
* Bicycle

When travelling to and from Americas, no overweight or oversize charge for sporting equipment if odd-size charge is collected.

You should check out their website which I have posted above as well as the relevant regulations.
My interpretation is that you (and I) will be up for $75 because I am bringing my skis and boots with me.

One word of warning to everyone else: if you are overweight, they charge $40 per kilo. Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Valve Bounce, thanks, is that $75 per flight or per booking? It's getting more and more expensive to travel with ski kit Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valve Bounce, that's not how I interpret that. To me it says as long as in total it's below your weight allowance it's free, including an odd shaped bag. There's no limit on the number of pieces you can take.

rob@rar, better than BA - they charge £75 per leg!! That would have been a lot of money last time I flied to the ALps via London, hence why I maxed out hand baggage allowance and kept hold below 23kgs and in one bag.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1 wrote:
Valve Bounce, that's not how I interpret that. To me it says as long as in total it's below your weight allowance it's free, including an odd shaped bag. There's no limit on the number of pieces you can take.

rob@rar, better than BA - they charge £75 per leg!! That would have been a lot of money last time I flied to the ALps via London, hence why I maxed out hand baggage allowance and kept hold below 23kgs and in one bag.

Look! don't take my word for it. I would strongly suggest you contact Cathay directly and ask for confirmation in writing. If you are correct and I am wrong, you may save me $75. But the way my luck is running this past week, don't hold your breath! Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Valve Bounce, thanks, is that $75 per flight or per booking? It's getting more and more expensive to travel with ski kit Sad

My interpretation is that we will be slugged $75 for each booking as I am booked Melbourne Chitose via a stopover in HK. But ......................... maybe we should both contact Cathay for confirmation. They only changed their website since last Saturday, so I'm not sure of their devious intent. Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1 wrote:
why I maxed out hand baggage allowance and kept hold below 23kgs and in one bag.
That's what I'm planning for my trip next month.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:

It is US$75 per sector. So if you are stopping in Hong Kong for a couple of days before flying on to Chitose, that's an extra US$75. I just rang Cathay to confirm this. That means my trip up to Chitose will cost me US$150, and I get NO baggage allowance for the skis at all. It seems most of the airlines are following suit - these charges are on the QANTAS website also.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, are you stopping in HK?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1 wrote:

Yeah! The Cathay booking included 4 nights free at a hotel there including transfers. My better half wanted to revisit some of the places we loved when we worked there. Like the RHKYC's bungalow at Sai Kung. The probably some shopping for ski wear. Do you know any good places to buy ski-wear there?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Valve Bounce, was actually asking rob@rar, cos I know him in real life too! But glad to hear you're stopping in HK Happy

I'm not sure HK is really the place to buy ski wear though. Wear do you live usually?
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:

No on this occasion, going via Tokyo. If I go via HK you can be sure I'll be knocking on your door Happy
ski holidays
Tokyo, ooh long flight! How long is that? Are you going business or economy?
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Tokyo, ooh long flight! How long is that? Are you going business or economy?
Too long, and in Economy. It will be grim, first longhaul flight in economy for more than a decade Sad I did look at the Cathay route via HK but it was £400 more expensive than BA's offering via Tokyo.
latest report
Quote:

It will be grim, first longhaul flight in economy for more than a decade

Gosh, you ski instructors are earning too much!! wink

I have tips for getting an empty seat next to you. On recent longhaul flights it's worked about 3 out of 4 times.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Quote:

It will be grim, first longhaul flight in economy for more than a decade

Gosh, you ski instructors are earning too much!! wink

I have tips for getting an empty seat next to you. On recent longhaul flights it's worked about 3 out of 4 times.

Send me your tips! Does it involve forsaking personal hygiene for a fortnight?
latest report
rob@rar, ha ha no! WIll email you - not posting in public or everyone will be doing it. Happy
ski holidays
[quote="rob@rar"]
beanie1 wrote:
Are you off to Japan?
Yes, in Niseko for a couple of weeks next month. Flying BA on this occasion although we might run an Inside Out trip there next season so looking at flight options for next year as well.[/quote

I am going to have to start a ski related business I think to make all my trips similarly tax deductible. UK taxpayers revolt - you are subsidising Rob's holidays - lobby your MP etc etc wink
snow report
fatbob, I wish our accountant saw things the way you do Crying or Very sad
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Valve Bounce, was actually asking rob@rar, cos I know him in real life too! But glad to hear you're stopping in HK Happy

I'm not sure HK is really the place to buy ski wear though. Wear do you live usually?

Port Melbourne. Am trying to resolve all ski wear before we leave Melbourne.
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
Valve Bounce, reading their website you can still take 1 set of skis if it's within your weight allowance and they will view it as a bag that's 158cm long regardless of its actual dimensions. I think this is perfectly doable if you maximise your hand baggage allowance which is generous (eg weekend bag plus laptop bag). The limit might technically be 7kgs but I've never seen them weigh it...

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_HK/helpingyoutravel/checkedbaggage#A

Also if you're a silver frequent flyer you get an extra 10kgs.

Rats!! I just checked my skis and they are 168cm long. I have tried everything; I even found my old ski bag (very light) , which used to fit two pairs of older Rossignol skis plus poles. But my new bindings are slightly bulkier, and the skis and poles will not fit. The new ski bag is very well padded, and has wheels, but of course weighs a bit more. I just expect we will have to economise greatly on what clothes we bring so that we come under a combined weight of 40kg.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy