Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Location for skiers and non-skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.
Me and my brother (17 and 19) are both mad skiers but we can't convince our parents to take it up. We want to go on a family holiday where we can ski and they can do other stuff. I wanted to know if anyone can think of a location in which we can go skiing and they can do other stuff during the day but we eat together and stay in the same hotel at night.
They ideally want to do something different every day so we are looking at around 6 different things they can do. Where possible they don't want to travel great distances (20-30 mins).
I've been racking my brains but I can't think of anywhere where we could do this.
Can any of you?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michaelrowland, try doing a search on Wengen, and it might throw up some threads on which this topic has been discussed before, it comes up regularly. Certainly, the Jungfrau region is a great one for non-skiers. Chamonix is also a favourite with some. I have skied both areas with a non-skier and he enjoyed them. In Wengen - which is anyway car-free - he used trains all the time; in and around Chamonix he used a car to get around.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
michaelrowland, you might think of a summer holiday, somewhere like Les Deux Alpes. You and your brother could ski up on the glacier (it's limited, and often has a lot of top level racers training, and the most productive way to use the time would be to get some top level ski lessons). The glacier closes down around 1 pm (you get up there very early in the morning..... ).

Down in the valley it's summer - lots of activities on offer. But they could also come up to the glacier one time, there's a trip in a snowcat thing you can do to an ice grotto, the scenery is stunning and it would give them an insight into the world you enjoy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
michaelrowland, lots of Austrian resorts are based on normal towns - i.e not just purpose built ski resorts. These offer a huge variety of different things for people to choose from.

Just as an example - St Johann im Pongau is on the main rail link to Salzburg in the north (30 minutes on a very comfortable train) and Zell am See towards the south. The town itself has a huge variety of possible excursions, both summer and winter for non-skiers, plus the bonus of easily visiting Salzburg itself and the town of Zell am See, beautiful in both summer and winter. Next town in the direction of Salzburg is Bischofshofen and Werfen, where the Hohenwerfen castle is. You (or your parents) will recognise it as the castle used in "Where Eagels Dare" - fascinating place to visit. The Salt Works (mines) in Hallein are also a good bet and reachable by train.

For skiing you have the whole of the Sportwelt Amadé on your doorstep - definitely more than even the most hard-core skier can ski in a one week holiday. The area also has an extensive network of snowshoeing trails and walker's paths so if they wanted to they could meet you in some of the mountain restaurants for lunch (and of course pay Laughing )

Lots more places where you could do a similar trip in Austria, Switzerland and Italy as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look into all of these places and fingers crossed I will get another week in the snow with my family Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try a glacier (e.g. Kaprun or Hintertux) late April / Early May - that way you can go skiing and they can do others things in Spring rather than winter weather. You could also meet them up on the Mountain in the afternoon and have a drink in the baking sun on the terrace.

http://www.weltbildung.com/main-fotos/zillertal-apres-ski.jpg

http://www.edelweiss-gurgl.com/images/themen/april/impressionen/big/00.jpg

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00783/reise_skihuette_DW__783515p.jpg

PS Kaprun also has a brand new thermal baths complex.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
michaelrowland wrote:
Hi everyone.
Me and my brother (17 and 19) are both mad skiers but we can't convince our parents to take it up. We want to go on a family holiday where we can ski and they can do other stuff. I wanted to know if anyone can think of a location in which we can go skiing and they can do other stuff during the day but we eat together and stay in the same hotel at night.
They ideally want to do something different every day so we are looking at around 6 different things they can do. Where possible they don't want to travel great distances (20-30 mins).
I've been racking my brains but I can't think of anywhere where we could do this.
Can any of you?

Innsbruck, AT? - big lively "proper" city, various although slightly far flung ski areas, lots of "normal tourist" stuff to do both in the city and nearby by bus and train.

Sierra Nevada, ES? - skiers go up the hill, non skiers tread the Granada tourist trail.

Or one of the (expensive!) Swiss options that pride themselves on being non skier friendly. Wengen, Zermatt, St Moritz.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second the Jungfrau area. Apart from the ski resorts there's Lauterbrunnen with easy links to Interlaken by train. there seem to be a lot of non sport activities around there, cultural, artistic, that sort of thing. You can even meet up for lunch with the non skiers taking the train and skiers departing down a black run.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
michaelrowland, I'd also recommend Wengen (although I like the sound of Samerberg Sue's suggestion too!). I've just done a trip report of my week here as a non-skier with other skiers last year, here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72442&highlight=

I was probably a bit less active than it sounds like your parents want to be, but there are lots of walking trails, easy trips to places on the mountain like Grindelwald as well as the trip I made to Murren, plus trips down to Interlaken etc as thirty06 suggests.

Hope you get your trip away one way or another!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy