Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs trip report - to be regularly updated whilst we are away.

Poster: A snowHead
3am start tomorrow and we are off to Les Arcs (1800). We will be posting updates throughout the week if anyone is interested in finding out what the Minimums are getting up to. We will probably update the snow reports during the week as well. We are planning an early evening arrival in Les Arcs tomorrow. Have left all the animals in the charge of mum and dad for the week (aren't parents wonderful!). Off to bed now for the early start. If anyone has a direct line to the snow gods then please send them a message for us.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-01-11 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have a great holiday, we'll be 24hrs behind you off to the Espace Diamant Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wax and Edge!!!!! Blush
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^^check
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
safe trip
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a good journey down and a happy week. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, have a nice time and wish the Minimums as few bumps on the head as possible in the bunk beds!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well we are here, the total journey took 11 hrs with 1:30 stops for fuel, food etc. 9:30 hrs total driving time from Calais! The roads were excellent. Reims bypass seems a worthwhile improvement as does what appears to be a junction improvement between the Lyons airport and Chambery bypass roads (a new underpass?). As we approached BSM and Les Arcs, the lower mountain areas and surrounding fields seemed very bare - more akin to April that January, but have received a report from Boris that 'the pistes are holding up well'. We will find out more first hand tomorrow and update this thread accordingly. The Minimum's are in bed having stuffed out on an instant meal courtesy of the Albertville supermarket, and I doubt I will be long following them. Roll on tomorrow when I will find out what we forgot! (The car packed suspiciously easily!! Maybe I'm just getting better at this packing lark!!).

Hurtle, No reports yet, but I'm sure they will bump their heads before the week is out. Minimum_1 has top bunk!

SMALLZOOKEEPER, skinutter, My ski tech assures me that skis are well waxed and edges are extra sharp, if the car park is anything to go by the pistes could be quite slick - it's very cold here and the forecast seems to be for more cold weather this week. So if there is snow here it should hang around, and at least I will come back an expert at dealing with boilerplate. As I type temperature outside is -10C.

I must be getting tired this is the third time of typing this having accidentally deleted this - have just discovered the PC owner runs Firefox and that has an undo function - why the h*** he didn't tell me this before this time round Lord only knows!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope you have a great time Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

why the h*** he didn't tell me this before this time round Lord only knows!

rob@rar, damn foiled again wink Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a junction improvement between the Lyons airport and Chambery bypass roads (a new underpass?).

I thought BMF skier said you went via Bourg en Bresse? Or am I just getting muddled?

Yes, there'll be loads of boilerplate. It's OK, just go very easy with those edges. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hope you didn't freeze you nuts off yesterday Shocked

Boy/Girl was it cold Confused Confused Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, have a great time. Tell Minimum_1 that having the top bunk does not guarantee the safety of your head Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead, is that the opening line for a new type of helmet thread...I can see the logic for wearing a helmet in bed if you are in bunks....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, Laughing
snow report
Megamum, have a great time, hope to see some great pics of the Minimum's in the snowpark practising their jumps
ski holidays
Megamum, come on, we're waiting Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Why isn't this on the Arcs thread in Snow reports or in trip report section? I have to look in two places now for information. Bah humbug.
snow conditions
First day on the slopes today. Well what is left most certainly is not about to melt if the temperature is anything to go by - Damn cold might be the understatement of the week! Esp. if you get on a chair lift that is running in the shade! It's getting a tad dicy getting down to the ski pass office in 1800 - genuine hard blue ice in places and a controlled skid seemed the correct technique on the way down there. Once up to the lifts we ran Vagere and I think must have taken Froid Fontaine (red) as we tried to get to Arpette restaurant which we successfully missed first time round. So back up Arpette and we ran down and through the snow park (the Minimums did the jumps to pick up the Arpette restaurant second time round. Having made a similar impromptu detour we then met up with Boris and family for lunch. Lunch over and we skied Belvedere and dropped down to take the Transarc 1 & 2 over to the 2000 bowl. We took Teppes down and then Plagnettes back up to have another try as I thought I could do it better, then had drinks in the Savoy (Arc 2000) which we would recommend - luxury! The Bois de l'ours took us back up to run Arpette and then Charmettoger and in the finish the legs gave out so we cut across to pop Chantel and home.

In all the places we went there was snow underfoot. The base is considerably packed down everywhere and a fair few of the slopes (regardless of steepness) are quite scraped. The top of Chantel (a designated beginners piste) is sheer enough to be unskiable for a real beginner. It pays to watch where you ski as some stones are picking up in places. BMF_Skier is gutted to be the first with a gouge that will need sorting on our return (LOL) - at least the rest of us shouldn't pick up stick if we do the same. Occasionally you pick up areas that are verging on ice and even if you have decent knees (as I have) I was ready to stop by 20 past 4 - it's hard going (literally!!). We have had a glorious blue sky day today though, despite the cold and at least I could see where I was going Toofy Grin

Sorry I wrote it under the wrong login and then dinner was ready. B.t.w. I cook the best chicken on the mountain Toofy Grin G.N.A.R.

More tomorrow - I think I can call myself a red run skier now . Very Happy
snow conditions
The weather forecast said it would snow today but they were wrong yet again! It was blue sky all round but very, very cold.

Gravystuffing it's fine nothing fell off! Shocked Laughing
latest report
rungsp, I have not been wearing a helmet in bed as it is rather uncomfortable! It would make my pillow sag too much.

Freddie Paellahead, I know what you mean! OW! Toofy Grin
snow report
Minimum_2, the forecast was for 0.5cm and we got that in Les Coches Wednesday night. The forecast now is for unremitting cold and no snow on the horizon; so what we have is what we'll have to stick with for some time I'm afraid.

If you come across the VE looking for better I'm afraid you'll only find more of the same only better of course because it's La Plagne not Les Arcs wink

I don't know if you've ever been there but I can thoroughly recommend the pancake restaurant La Bolee in the centre of Arcs 1950. For main I usually have the Marie Blanche (for the Roquefort sauce) and for pudding the Foret Noir (for the combination of chocolate, coconut and almonds). Enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum, I just read your Les Arcs snow report thread comments. What you have written here is I think more like the conditions we have right now. Not excellent by any means, but skiable and very cold. Maybe it would be better to write the same thing in both places. Hope you have a good holiday. If you fancy meeting up some time whilst you are out let me know.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, I didn't think what I had put in Snow Reports was a whole lot different in intent than what I'd put here - it wasn't my intention to convey different messages in both areas, my apologies if that is the case.

We have looked up Georges in 1950, but I think the timing of the openings will make dropping in for a drink difficult with the lift closing times as we will have to get back over to 1800, and back to Chantel while the lifts are still open. However, if you (or anyone else out here) see us around, please say 'Hi' we are a 2&2 family, girls in bright red jackets and the lads in dark jackets and three of us have helmets that are covered in SH's stickers!!
snow conditions
Megamum, isn't it possible to get back from 1950 by bus? (1950 to 1600, change, 1600 to 1800, change, 1800 to Chantel?)
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
Megamum, isn't it possible to get back from 1950 by bus? (1950 to 1600, change, 1600 to 1800, change, 1800 to Chantel?)
Yes, although a bit of a faff with those three shuttle bus rides.
snow report
Thanks for the local transport advice, but as rob@rar, mentions I think the faff of the buses vs. being in the pool at that time might mean the pool wins!

We had a busy day today. We sorted out the ski school arrangements and then took Foret through to the VE and went across. A look at the map on arrival shows that many lower runs are closed, but they have made sufficient snow to get down to Montchavin via the blue/red run. We took the MC Chair followed by Pierre Blanche chair to get some height. It was another blue sky day, but again v. cold and after those two chairs (which are mainly in the shade) the Pierre Blanche restaurant seemed a good idea for plenty of Vin Chaud and hot chocolate. By that time lunch was due so we hung around there and had omlettes for the Minimums and plat du jour for us adults. Dos Rond gave us some more height and then we dropped down to catch Salla (a bit of a slam dunk job). We ran Les Laines into the top of Belle Plagne and then down Plagne Bellecote. We then caught Le Blanchette which was longer than we expected and ran Blanchettes and took a right on Belle Plagne back down to P. Bellecote. Arpette saw us headed back home followed by Mont Blanc and Pierre Blanches and more Mont Blanc to get back to the VE. Once back over Peisey 61 followed by running Foret and Maitaz saw us back to Chantel and we dropped into the Tandem bar on the way back in.

The runs from 1800 to the VE through the trees are holding up ok. It's clear that the areas mostly in the shade are tending to ice less than those which enjoy the sunshine for longer in the day. There is a certain amount of made snow on the final run of retour plan peisey, but its still getting fairly scraped on the rat run down to the VE. The La Plagne side of things seems better. On lower slopes their is a copious amount of man made snow which is serving the area well, though you certainly realise it when you suddenly hit an area of it. Higher slopes above Belle Plagne (that lovely plateau area around the top of Arpette) seem softer and more skiable than anything else so far encountered. The Belle Plagne run down to Arpette has large areas of man made snow in places - its a bit churned up at one point, but on the whole I think they've done a good job with it (the Les Arcs side of things could benefit from similar attention). The run back to the VE was getting scraped in places, but on the whole quite OK (if you dodged the heaps of man made that had been left to trap the unwary Laughing ).

On the whole I was impressed with what we skied on the La Plagne in direct comparison with the Les Arcs side of things.

Once back on the Les Arcs side of things Foret held up well as did the first section of Maitaz. However, from the intersection with Reches onwards Maitaz was deadly - it was just a controlled sliding crash from one end to the other (heaven knows how beginners were coping as I doubt you could have snowploughed it). Coming across above the Transarc approach to access the Villards area was even worse. For such a popular area I really think that the resort should be doing better in terms of putting some made made down - after all they have done a stirling job in the La Plagne area. If you couldn't do a controlled side slip across the area you were in real bother - it was noticeable that even instructors and pisteurs were also using a side slip it was that bad. Chantel on the other hand seemed slightly easier than yesterday.

Weather wise it was another blue sky day - beautiful for photography, just very cold. All we need is two foot of fresh powder and all will be ideal Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Megamum, we've stayed in Montchavin for the last 5 years at February half-term. They really do look after that run and when it's cold enough the cannons are on full-time. I'd imagine the two reds over towards Les Coches would both be closed, I've seen one, Les Coches, closed when the snow is good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We tried the pool out tonight - a lovely facility to have access to Very Happy rob@rar, many thanks for laying on 5 extra healthy looking French chaps as eye candy - Phwoarrrrr..................talk about 'fit'. Must go swimming another night! Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, many thanks for laying on 5 extra healthy looking French chaps as eye candy
All part of the service!
ski holidays
Megamum, I shall keep my eye out for you guys on the mountain, but agree getting back from Arc 1950 with the family by bus would be a pain. Pity the Wine bar does not open earlier. Sounds like you had a good day today. I am doing a bit of a trip myself this weekend so please keep the Les Arcs updates coming in the snow reports thread as well. Will be around again on Monday.
snow conditions
Quote:
[megamum [/b],
On the whole I was impressed with what we skied on the La Plagne in direct comparison with the Les Arcs side of things.

Awful place La Plagne isn't it Laughing
latest report
So today was ski school day. The Minimums will tell you about their session in their own posting. I had a private lesson with Dominic from Arc Adventures this afternoon. We took Villards from 1800 the dropped Charmotteger from a short distance, followed by a steeper section of Reches and then Plan bois across to Derby then I think we must have done Renard and I guess must have taken 2300 66 and possibly Cabri 64 to a large open beginners area. I got a little lost at this point, but I think we did aigle, and then picked up Grizzly 68 and then back to foret, renard, maitaz and home.

Now the snow conditions. Well Maitaz is no better than the other day, neither is the approach to to Transarc off the end of Maitaz - scraped doesn't even start to describe it - heaven knows how the beginners are coping - it's enough to make me stop and think I can tell you. However, the areas described above were better than I expected. Clearly we didn't often drop too low, but the snow was quite doable up above Peisey, better than closer to 1800 I think. There are patches of ice in the hard-pack snow, but the surface was not too bad in comparison with the 1800 area. A question of patches of looser snow in the 1800 area scraped icey hardpack, but patches of ice in more skiable surfaced hardpack above Peisey.

The morning saw BMF_Skier and I in the Arc 2000 bowl we skied down to 2000 via Teppes. The steep section there was having danger poles put in as we skidded down it due to the icey conditions. I'm not tempted to re-visit until that gets any more snow. The flatter areas approaching 2000 are very hard packed, but with the sun on it the surface was enough to get a little purchase and you could Schuss the area without problems. The approach to Bois de L'ours wasn't too bad at all considering the number of skiers on it today - I think there was quite a bit of man made snow about. Arpettes and Grand Melezes back to Villards was reasonably hard packed, but not too bad higher up. Man-made on the lower approach to the lifts (better than the Trans Arc approach) wasn't too bad, but there were icey patches between the two height areas of the run.

So that's the current snow conditions.

I had a fine lesson with Dominic. We practised big wide arching turns on wide blues, short turns on steeper red sections to cope with the incline and to scrub the speed off. We did some J turns like I practised at HH before Christmas with rob@rar and lots of one legged skiing turns (standing on the outer leg on the turn). Dominic wants me to practice these before my lesson on Tuesday. Apparently I am a lesson 2 adult student and firmly in their intermediate grade. He also feels that my Magfire Ti's (despite allowing no errors - his words) will be good for me and will allow me lots of scope to improve on more difficult terrain.

So all in all a good day, finished off by a dip in the pool and S&K pie and peas, followed by jam sponge and custard for dinner washed down with 1/2 a bottle of red wine.

Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 23-01-11 21:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Megamum, Looks like you had a cracking day!! Last bit made me laugh... fair play!!!
snow report
Megamum, your ability to remember piste and chairlift names is very impressive. I'm normally of the "skied over there, took that one down a bit and then blasted the whatsit piste a couple of times" variety. Good work with the J-turns and getting better balanced on the outside ski.

BTW, how warm is the pool? Is it fully up to temperature yet?
snow conditions
Looking forward to hearing about the minimums' lesson too.
latest report
rob@rar, The pool is lovely - it doesn't need to be much warmer, certainly just for a moment you are aware that it is not as warm as some, but there is no getting to waist depth and dancing on the spot - it's straight in and off - rather glorious after a day on the slopes actually, bring your trunks!!

pam w, The Minimum's had a great time and certainly want to tell folks about it. I have been explicitly told not to spill the beans, so I won't LOL
snow conditions
rob@rar,
Quote:

your ability to remember piste and chairlift names is very impressive. I'm normally of the "skied over there, took that one down a bit and then blasted the whatsit piste a couple of times" variety.
I was about to post exactly the same sentiment. I only ever have a sketchy notion of where I've been in a day, except where I lap the same piste a few times.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, The pool is lovely
Excellent news, glad to hear it Happy
snow report
Hurtle, I am a navigation panicker - I am not happy unless I know where I am and how to get home (I'm the same on the London tubes), it's also useful if I want to get back somewhere another day. So I try pay attention to where I have been and then scrutenise the piste map in the evening to make sure. It drives BMF_Skier nuts (which is also a good reason to do it Laughing ) as he skis just where he likes as yourself and rob@rar have described. I think I also like to know where a lift is about to take me so that I can know I can cope with what I will find at the top - maybe a more experienced skier doesn't worry so much.

Well the sun is up and we will be off soon on newly sharpened edges (my ski tech is doing them as I speak) down that path outside the appt. which is getting icier/harder by the day and is a real challenge straight out of the appt. on cold legs and body as the first 100 yds. Will post another Full Laughing report later!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy