Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Welt.....Soll, Scheffau, Elmau

Poster: A snowHead
Just scored a cheapy, going out 29th Jan, so a few questions. Yes, I've used the search button (it's a bit crap) and anyway updated info may be of use to others.

Recommended bars/food to suit two fortysomethings that like a few beers but now leave the clubs to the heroes?

Good off-piste/freeride areas (conds permitting)? Busy lifts when to avoid?

Westendorf now looks properly connected, and I think covered by the pass, so Kitz should be a goer (maybe not covered by the pass)?

How late does the (free) ski bus run between the three mentioned areas? How good is it?

Anything else worth mentioning?

Just me and a mate, decent boarder/int skier, whole thing a bit of a bonus so being done to tightish a budget.

Ta in advance, John.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BCjohnny, If youre staying in Soll check out Rossini's and Pub Austria for a good night with nothing too crazy. The Salven Stadl's also great for Apres. Gets really busy and they often have good bands playing too.

If you want to head over to Kitzbuhel you'll need to get the Kitzbuheler alpen pass. It's a little more expensive, but definitely worth it for a day or two over there! You can ski to Westendorf via Brixen and this is covered on the normal Skiwelt pass. There's some good little off piste areas over in Westendorf and some pockets this side too (one or 2 in Scheffau NehNeh ). In Soll there's the inner keat which is top of the hohe salve then down the skiers left off the black, gets steep and fun!

Never used the ski bus between areas, always skied or have the car-i can ask around though!
Check out the igloos in brixen for a shot of vod Smile

Heidi.

www.skiheidi.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCjohnny, I'm just back from Scheffau. Best bars in the village (quite possibly the only bars in the village!) were the Village Pub and the Biker Ranch (which is on piste 1 from the village to the bubble lift). I think the latter is probably quite nice for food too but I didn't eat there as I was staying half board. I only used the free ski bus from Scheffau village down to Blaiken for the bubble lift which was very good. The reps organised a taxi for us to go to Söll and Samerberg Sue kindly drove us to Brixen.

Sorry I can't comment on off-piste as I don't ever do that, but the pisted area is fabulous for intermediates.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BCjohnny, I'm just back too, after a week in Soll. If you have a Kitzbuhel AllStar card, ski over to Westendorf then take the long blue run down to Key West, there is a little bus does a circuit and will take you up to Pengelstein and thence into Kitzbuhel system.

A good lunchtime spot is restaurant 87, near the foot of the Schmiedalm - T-bar number 88 - super food, usually quiet(ish) and probably the cheapest food on the mountain. You used to be able to ski from there down the bottom of the Scheffau main gondola, but a dispute between farmers means the run is not cleared and it's a bit risky if there's not much snow.

If you are into such things, Cafe Rosemary in Scheffau is worth a visit in the afternoon for the home made cakes and home made ice cream - both are scrumptious !
You'll need to get a taxi from the lift as it is hidden away in the woods on the north west side of Scheffau.

Also worth a visit on a rainy day (such as we had last Thursday ! ) if you have transport is the Riedel factory in Kufstein.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty certain the pass supplied doesn't cover Kitz, but I'll ask if I can get an extension. Package so will have to use local buses as required or taxis. Not quite sure which village we're actually staying in yet, not that it matters as long as there's a decent local bar.

I've saved the official skiwelt site, and there are bus timetables, routes etc, but I know from experience it's not always reliable, so wanted a heads up.

heidyky If someone has an opinion on the local buses, it'd be good to know. They're free with the pass, and appeal to my sense of meaness.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BCjohnny, The normal pass provided by your TO will cover only Skiwelt - Soll, brixen, westendorf, scheffau, ellmau, going, hopfgarten etc. The upgrade to the Kitzbuhel AllStar pass is about 20euros - you may want to let the TO know beforehand if that is what you want as they will assume you want the normal Skiwelt pass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BCjohnny...

I second Heidi's suggestion of the Salven Stadl for Apres...You can stay outside on the deck under the heaters or head inside for the band....I've only been in Soll one week before but am going Feb 5th and this bar is a major factor!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heidi,

Do you know if the Sports Bar beside in the Whiskey Mule still being run by the young guy from England or has he opened his own bar as was talked about last year?

Bendy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depending on snow, there's a fair bit of good offpiste in Westendorf. Most of it tends to be the 'fun' sort, I can only really think of two gnarly areas. I really like it, and have spent 6/7 weeks there over the last few years. It's a nice place to just go out and explore, you can ski top to bottom without touching a piste, and there's some nice hidden glades in the forested sections. Annoyingly the new piste down to Brixen ruined a nice 'lesser-know' powder stash, but there's still plenty left. If you hike up straight (20/30 mins) up form the lift at the top of the snowpark, the top of the Gipfel Gampenkogel is a good palce for a picnic, nice views, and then a mellow offpiste run down the shoulder of the mountain to back to the pistes - if it's snowed recently you'll likely get fresh tracks up there. Not giving anymore secrets away though NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ben Dover, my sister in law used to work in Soll and is friends with the guys from the sports bar. It seems that they have upped sticks from the old bar and bought the old Gasthof Tennee and turned it into a party hotel for adults only. They have opened a sports bar and a new pub called the Red Horse in the hotel. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out there this year but if you search for the Red Horse on Facebook they have a page on there. The photos of the sports bar make it look like it is just a bigger version of the old sports bar next to Whiskeys.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wardster00 wrote:
Ben Dover, my sister in law used to work in Soll and is friends with the guys from the sports bar. It seems that they have upped sticks from the old bar and bought the old Gasthof Tennee and turned it into a party hotel for adults only. They have opened a sports bar and a new pub called the Red Horse in the hotel. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out there this year but if you search for the Red Horse on Facebook they have a page on there. The photos of the sports bar make it look like it is just a bigger version of the old sports bar next to Whiskeys.

Brilliant, thanks.....They were great last year and the night I was leaving, the guy told me his intentions were to open a new sports bar!! If I tell the other two lads that I'm travelling with that it's a 'party hotel for adults only' they won't even bother skiing wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ben Dover, I went to the Sports Bar/Red Horse a couple of weeks ago and I can definitely testify that it's run by a British guy. It's not my sort of place at all, a bit too 'Magaluf', but fine if you like that type of thing. I'm clearly too old! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BCjohnny wrote:

How late does the (free) ski bus run between the three mentioned areas? How good is it?

The free ski buses do not run between those areas at all. Each route is within one area, with some very minor overlap of one or two routes.

To get between areas at base level you need to use the post bus, or taxi, or have your own transport.

But all the areas are very well linked on the mountain, so it is just a case of making sure you are back in the right vicinity before the lifts close.

One possibly useful pointer is run numbers. Although the runs mainly aren't numbered on the maps, they are on the ground, and except in the Westendorf area, the number part is usually the number of the main lift they are heading for.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney

Thanks, I'd hoped you'd pipe up, as from your posts I'm aware you've spent some time in the area. That was some of the info I was asking for, though hoped it was maybe not. Taxis if we want to go between main areas, as I've a feeling we'll be in Scheffau or Elmau, the quieter villages.

So ok within each specific area, but not connectors. Do you know what time they run to anyway, reliably, or can I just trust the timetables?

From the piste map it's obvious they're well connected slopeside, but thanks for the pointer about the numbers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BCjohnny, I've got a timetable for the Postbus between Scheffau and Söll. It's not very regular, about 6 during the course of the day and doesn't run in the evening. However Söll is only ten mins away in a taxi which shouldn't cost a great deal. Ellmau is roughly the same distance in the other direction from Scheffau.
snow conditions
BCjohnny, I took a taxi from Scheffau bottom gondola station to Soll last week one day when my back went - 12 euros.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Ben Dover, I went to the Sports Bar/Red Horse a couple of weeks ago and I can definitely testify that it's run by a British guy. It's not my sort of place at all, a bit too 'Magaluf', but fine if you like that type of thing. I'm clearly too old! Laughing

Most likely too old myself for that sort of thing BUT...... wink I really enjoyed the original sports bar as it had pretty good Guinness and was like a normal busy bar at home other than the night that the reps did their 'pub crawl and shots'......
snow conditions
Folks, when I was in Soll last year, I did literally all the areas in the Skiwelt, this time I'm considering getting the pass that includes Kitzbuhel....It's only €20 or €30 more but is it easy to get there?
snow conditions
Ben Dover, See my post above - the one with the slice of cake !
snow conditions
deerman wrote:

Hard to miss the slice of cake Smile Roughly how long does the bus take?
ski holidays
Ben Dover, I was there the night of the pub crawl. Not just shots but drinking games, lads stripped down to their keks and dimwit girls standing on the bar shaking their boobies about. It was like a bad dream. Maybe it's less offensive on other nights although I do struggle with the British bar abroad thing. I leave Britain to escape that sort of rubbish! Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

drinking games, lads stripped down to their keks and dimwit girls standing on the bar shaking their boobies about. It was like a bad dream.

Shocked
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
BCjohnny, I've got a timetable for the Postbus between Scheffau and Söll.

Have you a link to that, or available locally? Don't think we'll be doing much road travel during the day, but it might come in handy.
ski holidays
BCjohnny, just a photocopy I'm afraid. Available from your rep or the tourist offices.
snow report
Ben Dover wrote:
deerman wrote:

Hard to miss the slice of cake Smile Roughly how long does the bus take?

From the bottom of the KiWestbahn in Westendorf I *think* it was about 10/15 mins. Not long anyway.
ski holidays
The Postbus details are here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy