Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere Vel d'Iseran query

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, all.

1st post, so be kind.

Just back from Val, which I know quite well. I've just taken the kids 9 + 12 down the Vallee Perdue for the second year Happy

I was over in the Le Fornet valley, up at the Ski d'ete glacier. Now, from the top of the Valon de l'Iseran cabin, there were signs indicating Val d'Iseran was open, pointing directly away from the top of the cabin. You can also see this route on the Cema chair, coming back up from the glacier. It's *beyond* the obvious gulley which leads down near to the 'Pays Desert' drag lift. The route I am describing follows the route of the summer road, ( visible on google maps ) and heads *way* back into the valley of the Col d'Iseran, but *way* below the small 'Pays Desert' drag lift. I'ts obviously tracked out, and people have gone down there.

I just can't figure out where it goes, or how you'd get back!
As best I can tell, the summer road ( used for bike races ) goes way into the next valley.

It looks like a monster hike out to me, and I wasn't prepared to do it on-spec with the kids in tow.

Hints?

--
Ron
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Hints?

skins and a 1:25 000 map.

otherwise known as earning your turns!

sounds from your description like its the route to Bonneval in the Mauriene valley

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-01-11 23:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not a place to go without a high mountain guide or a local with good mountain knowledge, I think that this is the place where there was a horrible avalanche a few years back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the general advice, guys.
I'm well up for hiring guides as required, and have done so eg in the Vallee Blanche in Chamonix.
I'm also up for a bit of ski-mountaineering here around Glenshee, but not with the kids!

But can you be more specific: is this a recognised ski-mountaineering route which requires skinning up?
It's well-tracked, so these people are going somewhere.

*edit*
Yes, the route will take you down to Bonneval-sur-arc.
Thank you Mr Haggis.

So what the heck do you do once you get there?
Get in your pre-arranged helicopter?

--
Ron
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Get in your pre-arranged helicopter?

Actually yes, that's the most common solution!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RonLowe wrote:

But can you be more specific: is this a recognised ski-mountaineering route which requires skinning up?

The route out is over the Col des Fours which links into the Cugnai valley. This is a recognised route.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward wrote:
RonLowe wrote:

The route out is over the Col des Fours which links into the Cugnai valley. This is a recognised route.

Ah, OK. Thanks, Stewart.

I've not got a 'proper' map of the area here, and google's mapping does not show the coll by name so I can't see the exact route, but if it takes you up to Cugnai, then simply looking at the elevations I think my original assesment that it's a monster hike out is probably correct, no?

Does look like a 'Grand day out' though, eh Grommit?

So as I see it the options are: A climb over the Col, or pre-aranged transport from somewhere down towards Bonneval. Would that be about it?

--
Ron
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy