Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Little kids plastic skis

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Austria at the end of Feb and we're taking my little 2 year old. As his Mum and Dad are forever going on and on about skiing, he's already quite keen. snowHead As a result, i'm fairly sure he thinks he's going skiing too this winter.

He's only 2 and not quite as steady on his feet as some of his friends and there's no way i'm putting him on real skis. However i've seen plastic skis which seam to be pitched at 2 to 5 year olds. They look like I can just strap them to his snow boots. Has anyone ever used them? Are they any good? If I manage to get hold of a pair, I'm just going to be walking him down the flattest nursery slope at the bottom of the mountain, certainly not taking him up the lift.

What do you think? I'm trying to head off the inevitable squawking when we leave him with Nana at the ski centre as we get on the cable car (which he already loves from his summer visit)

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Something like these is what i'm on about ....

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kersh, You could look at Snow Shoe Hares from Team Magnus: http://www.team-magnus.co.uk/epages/BT4288.sf/sechzF87zTH1Ko/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4288/Categories/%22Team%20Magnus%20Products%22
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
deerman, thanks! They look alright and not too pricy at £25. Has anyone got a kid who's use these or others?

Cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They were about 30 euros for the set (skis and poles) in la plagne - skis have "bindings" that strap over the kids snowboots, and have a pattern on the base that should help stop the skis sliding backwards
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We had these for our son at 2yr 2 weeks. The nearest we cme to a problem was that he was so excited every time he saw them that keeping his feet still to strap them on was difficult. Once on, he was able to shuffle around, quite happily, find a snow drift and fall into it giggling and waiting to be picked up, and repeat for about an hour.

I also too him up a nursery slope drag lift (I carried him) and held him between my skis so that he got the sensation of moving over snow, which he loved.

They were good value for us because he loved them . . . and it wouldn't have been much to lose had he not enjoyed it.

The other thing we got (we were in Austria for a fortnight over Christmas) was a sledge with a back support - about €15 in 2001 - which we used on a little hill in town, as well as me taking him down the 'official' toboggan course. We left the sledge in the hotel, as we already had one at home, so I hope someone else got some pleasure from it.

Given the cost of a ski holiday, €40 or so on your son isn't much, is it? Although when he really starts skiing, the costs then start mounting up . . .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kersh, I've got some + poles you can have for the price of the postage-say a fiver. Used by my daughter for a few days messing about home and abroad when she was about 3.

Send me a pm if you are interested
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

he was so excited every time he saw them that keeping his feet still to strap them on was difficult.

snowHead snowHead snowHead how very sweet!

We had these for our youngest, aged about 4 at the time. She was keen to do proper lessons but was a wimp, so I told her that unless she enjoyed the plastic ones, and didn't moan, I wasn't going to hire proper skis and boots and pay for a week's lessons. Evil or Very Mad She did her thing, hands on knees etc, and I pulled her back up the nursery slope (wasn't confident enough to take her on the drag, though I would be nowadays). She was fine with them, and graduated to the proper skis and proper lessons.

I saw two little French girl twins on those plastic things, a few years ago. They were 22 months old (we chatted to the dedicated mother who was taking them round and round the magic carpet - no doubt when dad was up the mountain carving his thing on the red slopes wink ). they were deliriously happy, bless them, and just went round and round and round.

I'd say go for it, especially if you can get them cheap. Worth their weight in gold. .

toboggans with backs are well worth it, too. We bought one for 2.50 euros at the Decathlon Troc in October and our 10 month old grand daughter (off spring of the 4 year old I pulled up the nursery slopes) loved it. Till I got too enthusiastic and tipped her into the snow.... Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt wrote:
They were about 30 euros for the set (skis and poles) in la plagne - skis have "bindings" that strap over the kids snowboots, and have a pattern on the base that should help stop the skis sliding backwards

Just like these around 17 years ago Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yellow Pyranha & pam w, having read your posts, i'm sold. I'm sure my little 2 year old monster would be exactly the same! snowHead snowHead

sledger, PM on the way.

If anyone has some experience of these kids skis, please post your comments.

Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, she looks a better skier then than you do now Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, Tis a shame they grow up isn't it Laughing On so many different levels wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw two little girls having a whale of a time on them at Glenshee a week ago. The problem they seemed to be having was trying to run in them rather than letting them slide, but they were loving it.

I got some for my 3 year old nephew on ebay for about £30 last year, but his dad is too scared to let him try them yet Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we had some for ours ( little indians) - got them off ebay for a song, sold em back, and in the end they cost us nothing to have as
we got back what we paid for them.

they got used a couple of times for an hour, and he had great fun.

they did have a downside - we he started sking, we had a couple of weeks with ski hire, and then he kept asking for his own red ones back - you know daddy
the ones i had before - he has had his own proper skis now since he was 5 ( again from ebay )

no doubt when his 10 i will be using his cast offs !!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh,
No experience with the plastic ones I'm afraid; our 2 year old has real skis and boots, but one thing I would advise is taking a backpack which has a ski-carry feature as it is a real pain trying to carry your skis and the the kids ones whilst chasing them down the road! Happy
ski holidays
plastic ones are great to get them started.... we've now had two sessions with our 2.5 year old and she loves it. the tips to separate occasionally but the skis are so light it doesn't matter and they're easy enough to line up again. Once she progresses to proper skis then we'll get her lessons and get those ski tip connector things. For now though, she loves it and all is looking well.

Good excuse to post this again

Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks everyone, can't wait to get a pair now! I think i'll keep it a supprise until we get out to the white fluffy stuff! snowHead snowHead
snow report
We bought some of these and used them in Meribel last week.

http://www.beansonline.co.uk/acatalog/details/FSS0401.htm

The buckle on one of the skis broke within 5 minutes (literally).

£30.
snow report
Mr Technique, I hope you are taking them back, my photo of ours 17 years ago (above) we still have them now and they are intact after 4 kids (not all mine!) have used them Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy