Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute booking Salzburg area in mid Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on a trip to the Ski Amade area, flying in to Salzburg on 12/02 for 8 nights (Sat to following Sun).

Would it be sensible to leave booking a hotel to the last minute? I gather this area gets busier in Feb, so would I be risking missing out on good accomodation if I wait too long?

I am actually not too fussed about exactly where we stay, we'll have a car and intend on exploring the different areas, but we'd like either a decent 3* hotel or an apartment with access to a sauna and pool if possible. I was thinking of Flachau, but am open to suggestions Smile If possible I'd like to be walking distance to a town centre for eating out (unless the hotel was HB, in which case this is less of an issue).

Also, are there any recent snow reports from the area...?

Edit just to clarify - there's just me and my wife, so 1 double room needed, and as we're doing 8 nights we may indeed need to move on the last night, which isn't a big deal (might even be nice to have a night in Salzburg).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 18-01-11 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah, Get in touch with fellow snowHead Flangesax (www.austrianadventures.com) They have free capacity around about then and do snowHead discounts.

They are based in Radstadt, so ideal for exploring Schladming as well as Flachau, Zauchensee, etc!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did check Flangesax's site and they seem to be fully booked, but Radstadt would be a good location.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 18-01-11 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You don't say how many people you are (you say 'I' and 'we'). If it's just 1-2 of you, then you will find somewhere to stay even if you do leave it to the last minute. it is high season so some places will be fully booked, but I still don't think there's a risk of being bedless. One thing is though, you might need to be prepared to move out for the second Saturday night - many places will let mainly Sat-Sat and might have new bookings in which would make your 8th night problematic.

D
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doh, yep, there's two of us - 1 double room is all we need. Will edit original post, thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sah, go to the Radstadt, Flachau, Wagrain web sites and use their search facility to find rooms - there is quite a lot out there if you are not too choosy. As you have a car, you can be outside of the main areas. Parking is free at all the lifts and there is plenty of it.

Alternatively look a the Tourist Office web site for St Johann im Pongau - other end of the Amadé region but ideally placed to get to any of the other places by car. Look at hotels like:
Stöcklwirt
Silbergasser
Sport Hotel Prem
Goldener hirsch
Brückenwirt
Tennehof
Lerch

They would all fit your bill. The more expensive hotels are up the hill in Alpendorf and my feeling is that they will all be full.

St Jo is an excellent base to explore all the other places on the Salzburg Superski Pass as well - Saalbach, Zell am See as well as Bad Gastein and Großarl.

It's a proper town as well with lots of bars, restaurants and shops. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, sounds like a good tip, I'll look at St Johann. IS the Salzburg Superski a subset of Ski Amade or vice-versa?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sah, If you're interested in staying in Bad Gastein send me a PM. My apartment is free for those dates - it doesnt have sauna etc in the block but in both Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein they have very good pools and sauna setup in the town. Since you have a car you can easily access anywhere in the valley (so Sportgastein through to Dorfgastein and everything in between). Bit further to drive to Maria Alm area in the one direction or through to St Johann / Wagrain / Flachau / Zachenzee in the other direction but easily achievable in 45mins to an hour. Jon
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah, vice-versa Ski Amadé is part of the Salzburger superski pass. I have that as my season ticket and so far have skied in Zauchensee, Flachau, Wagrain, St Jo, Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang, Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzbühel and some smaller resorts. I'm hoping to do Schladming next week along with Fager- and Reiteralm. I'm guiding in Wagrain and St Jo on Friday of this week.

I'm determined this year to get back to Großarl and link over to Bad Hofgastein as well as return to the Hochköing resorts of Maria alm Mülbach and Dieten.

So much to ski and so little time free! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

So much to ski and so little time free!

Indeed...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

So much to ski and so little time free!

for some NehNeh Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kooky, show off! NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy