Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how to help my dad

Poster: A snowHead
I are going away in a couple of weeks and taking my dad along. The rest of the group will be my husband, and my 3 small daughters (all beginner skiers).

My dad started skiing at 60 (about 4 yrs ago) and is very nervous about coming with us. He's not very confident, and while he is actually very fit and has been skiing regularly at the snowdome, I think he is still worried about the whole 'skiing on a mountain' thing. He went to St anton with my sister 2 yrs ago, which was a disaster for a pair of beginner skiers.

We are going to puy st vincent (very small family friendly resort) so it won't be anything like his last holiday.

Do any of you have any advice/tips on how to encourage him? I'm not planning on taking him down anything more interesting than a blue, I've booked lessons, but I want him to enjoy it and would be grateful for any advice on how to make this a good trip for him.

thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alcohol. No, really.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
for me or him?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and lots of cheese Very Happy

seriously though, i'm in the same boat as you. we're taking my folks this year and they've only just started learning to ski before Christmas... they're 63 and 65! I think my mum will be the one we need to look out for as i think she has NO idea on how just how intimidating a big mountain can be for a beginner skier. It'll be a quiet week when we're there though which should help, but seriously i think you need to really make the point that it's ok to just ski for an hour or so, then take a big break and then maybe do a bit more in the afternoon. The food and the drink are all part of the holiday.

Most important thing is to chill out i reckon and just let it take its course. A ski holiday is as good as you make it. It's a personal thing. Just make sure he's doing what he wants to do i reckon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can survive in a snowdome which will generally have some of the worst "snow" conditions and crowds you'll ever encounter than the luxury of space and piste choice on a real hill is easy I'd think for a nervous skier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you've booked lessons for him, at the right level, that's the crucial thing. As shoogly says, just an hour or so a day might well be fine. If he's nervous I'd be very hesitant to take him anywhere he hasn't already been - and felt quite comfortable - with the instructor. Speaking from a LOT of personal experience (and knowing my ski area very well) I'd advise that it's very easy for a competent skier, with the best will and the most patience in the world, not to end up with a very nervous beginner who is completely out of their comfort zone on a very slightly steeper 10 metre stretch of an easy blue run.

I can imagine St Anton was a disaster - Puy St Vincent sounds a far better bet.

Good luck - I hope he loves it.

Alcohol all round, but don't overdo it for the kids. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
to be honest i think he will adore skiing with my eldest daughter (aged 5) (but both supervised!!) and as long as we let him take it easy , as you say, and lots of rest and food, he'll cope well. I hope so - my mom wants a week off next year as well!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

my mom wants a week off next year as well!

Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
grey, Don't go out too early in the morning to start with - let the sun soften things a bit first
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pray for fog.

We took a friend years ago to St Gallenkirch in the Vorarlberg. Forty-something, never skied. She joined a class, and went up the mountain and learnt. By the end of the week, she was skiing red runs with perfect control.

On the last day the fog cleared. Brilliant sunshine. She looked down the slope she had skied the previous two days, and said "I'm not going down there. That's MUCH too steep." She took her skis off, went down on the chairlift, and never skied again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
planeurge wrote:
Pray for fog.

We took a friend years ago to St Gallenkirch in the Vorarlberg. Forty-something, never skied. She joined a class, and went up the mountain and learnt. By the end of the week, she was skiing red runs with perfect control.

On the last day the fog cleared. Brilliant sunshine. She looked down the slope she had skied the previous two days, and said "I'm not going down there. That's MUCH too steep." She took her skis off, went down on the chairlift, and never skied again.

I once had to get my nervous skier friend down a run which went from red to black (which she didn't realise) in sudden horrendous conditions. When I told her, in the cafe over a hot chocolate, that she had skied a black run, she went white! Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lessons - lessons - lessons !!

Similar to your Dad - I am 63 - had my first ski trip at 59 and went with my son and 14 of his thirtysomething mates to a chalet.

On each of my first 4 trips (including St Anton) I had group lessons for 5 days for 3 hours a day and am now a confident intermediate.

Don't try to take him out with you - he will feel he is holding you back and spoiling your enjoyment, which will make him feel worse - been there done that.

PM me if he would like a few words of encouragement from another 'old git'
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A couple of private lessons one on one will do his confidence the world of good. Afterwards he can tootle about at his own pace and stop whenever her feels like it or the more experienced skiers can arrange to meet him for coffe, beers etc...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grey, Take him here for lunch or a drink easy runs to get to it with no drops and not much gradient.
http://gites05.free.fr/gites/tournoux/index.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Puy St Vincent is a great resort, very beginner friendly. I know a ski instructor there (Il est un Frog though). It's great that he's come to skiing at a mature age - because I know that the further away you travel from 10 years old, the more you obsess about falling and the implications of falling (broken hip leads to replacement hip leads to long-term NHS airmiles). I bet it's those thoughts that play on his mind. Tell him PSV is a learner's paradise and that as long as he keeps well within his safety limits and stays aware of what other users are doing around him, he should be fine.
-What's his eye sight like? Has he got good google solutions - (not glasses inside goggles). If he can get good prescription goggles with a wide field of vision, that will help him. Also, buy him as much safety-wear as possible - bump protecting shorts, wrist guards - the toughest helmet. Like most blokes I know, he will feel happier if he knows he has the best safety features...
snow conditions
Sofia, some good advice, but he's not THAT old - I really can't see (as a skier who will be 65 very shortly) that he needs bump protecting shorts or wristguards. I only wear that stuff for snowboarding. wink
snow conditions
I don't think he'll NEED them but if he's feeling nervous then some sartorial moral support might help him to feel less inclined to worry about falling (even if, truth be told, a padded back bottom may do little to save a hip!). My daughter wears wrist guards, not because they actually help her but because she thinks they do!
PS I have lucky knickers I wear when skiing. I don't think they have stopped me from hurting myself but....
latest report
Quote:

I have lucky knickers I wear when skiing

Laughing Perhaps you should lend them to the OP's dad?
snow conditions
Could do...I have two pairs!!!
ski holidays
grey, I think Puy is the perfect place for a nervous skier. I spent my childhood ski holidays there, it's brill. It's great that you have booked lessons, are you by any chance going through snowbizz? If so, ask for Francoise (the older one!) if he's available. Fantastic teacher and lovely guy. Secret is to take it easy, just some gentle reassurance goes a long way and doing some easy blues to boost the confidence. As long as he's smiling it's all good!

Heidi.
www.skiheidi.com
snow conditions
thank you for your replies. I will suggest lucky knickers, padding, plenty of cafe stops (which he will manage i am sure) and hope for fog. He's booked into lessons, and actually did ok in group lessons in verbier (his only other ski trip with me).
We bought his goggles a few months ago, he got anon ones, to go over his helmet.
we are going with snowbizz, they were fantastic last year and as you say they are great for families.

As an update, I spoke to him about it on Tuesday night and said "you know dad, i think you are a bit worried about coming skiing with us, but you needn't be - you're a better skier than little grey, and she coped fine with it last year. I will only take you down easy greens and blues, as you wish". He actually looked a bit pleased, I think he trusts me (a bit more than my sister) about this.

I will however pass on to him that several people have learnt a little later in life and have found it no problem.
Thank you for your insights.
ski holidays
Ah - happy ending. Tell us how you and esp. your dad get on when you come back!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy