Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Run from Barcelona Airport to Soldeu Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
I go to Soldeu every year from Gerona - this year going from Barcelona. My question is: Are there toll roads and if so how much do they add up to for a return journey?

Also can anyone recommend a decent car hire company that wont cripple you with extras when you go to pick up the car? Or - is there a direct train or other method of getting there that is cost effective that I havent thought about? There are 7 of us 2 teenagers and 3 small kids. We arrive in Barcelona airport at around 5.45 on a Sunday evening.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Badgerdot - Don't know much about the tolls, but 2 car hire companies you could try are doyouspain.com and carjet.co.uk - in that order ,as doyouspain tend to be cheaper,both are all- in prices apart from super cdw insurance which is about 3e per day to cover tyres,glass,keys etc. I've used both in the past, several times a year, and find them very good- they're basically car-hire agents and tell you which desk (Auriga,hertz,goldcar etc) to go to at the end of the booking process,also you can pay on arrival so if you don't go you dont get your cc charged.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
badgerdot, Hi,, there is roadtax to pay at, Túnel del Cadí: 11.25 EUR, and Tùnel d'Envalíra: : 6.10 EUR. the distance is 200km and there is 100km on highroads,, take care with the hire car, they ask U to pay more to drive in france,, So U have to take another route and get to Andorra from the south, but this rout takes longer time, and I dont know about roadtolls for this rout, but check out with, http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes,,, I don´t think there is any train to Andorra, When I go to Barcelona to ski Eastern Pyrenees, I allways have find out that is best to hire a car, But there is possible, to take bus to Andorra From Barcelona, www.movelia.es But I don´t know if they drive from the airport,
Have a nice trip Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys - thats really helpful!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,
Look up andorrabybus.com, there are regular buses from Barcelona airport to Andorra numerous times a day, the train goes as far as Puigcerda, but you would have to get a bus from there so you would be better getting the bus from the airport (I have a long and eventful story concerning getting a friend and his family from Soldeu to puigcerda and too much to drink the night before, heavy snow, stopped by customs, missing the train, racing the train to La Molina, breaking the train doors and a smelly tramp)
With 7 of you it will be a choice of 2 cars, minivan, or the bus
Gemma (english) at andorratravelservice.com 00376 358906 might be able to help re buses, they have done us some good deals on ski packs
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, Try www.hola-andorra.com they do transfers from Barcelona airport to Andorra for 49e return (half price for kids).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you decide to drive, you can either take the Túnel de Cadí route which is the fastest but also incurs a €7 motorway toll at Manresa in addition to the two tunnel tolls already mentioned... or you can take the other route hinted at by freeheelskier which heads towards Lleida until just past the Igualada turn-off then up to Ponts, Oliana, La Seu d'Urgell and into Andorra from the south. That route takes a little under an hour longer but doesn't have any tolls at all, saving you more than €25 each direction. Also, if you're going up on a Friday night or coming back on a Sunday night, the Cadí tunnel has vicious congestion anyway, so the time saving vanishes.

Plenty of bus options as others have mentioned. The train option, whilst theoretically possible, isn't a sensible choice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're driving, the route I take has been hinted at above, but these are the directions...

# Leaving Barcelona you want the A2 in the direction of Lleida
# You'll see a sign for Andorra after not too long ... but ignore it!
# You want to come off at junction (kilometre) 520
# At the roundabout take the L311 signed Guissona/Ponts/Andorra
# Continue to Guissona then take the L313 signed Ponts (it's not signed Andorra)
# At Ponts, Andorra is signed on the C14 and will continue to be signed
# Once you've crossed the border in to Andorra follow signs for Andorra la Vella then you'll go through Encamp, Canillo, El Tarter and then Soldeu

There aren't any tolls with this route and I rarely hit traffic.

The Novatel Bus (shared transfer) is €69 per adult return (kids 4-11 years are 50%), or you can have a private transfer for seven people for €85 per person return.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never heard of any car hire company asking you to pay more to drive in another EU country espeically on of the big ones.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richiavo wrote:
Never heard of any car hire company asking you to pay more to drive in another EU country espeically on of the big ones.

hi, yes they charge 8 euros a day to take the car into France - we used to get away with it if we drove straight from Spain but they have now cottoned on to that and make the same charge for Andorra. They only charge you when you go to pick up though so you need to be aware of that when budgetting. Also they tell you that there is an excess of £750 and that if you do crash or get the slightest scratch you will have to pay that; they then offer you an opt out for that which is anything from 4 euros per day to 12 euros per day. This is optional but the fear of being charged 750 euros usually convinces me to cough up the extra 60 odd euros for peace of mind - I know the one time I dont do it I will have a bump...

Thanks to all for the directions they are really helpful especially when the cost of these holidays seems to be spiralling out of control (its gone up by 50% in the last two years! - a lot of it is down to the exchange rate tho')
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Who do you hire with? i have hired through europcar, hertz, avis, budget and never had to pay to go into another Eu country, you might want to check they are not just another hire company ripping you off.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Novatel Bus Shuttle

http://www.andorrabybus.com/es/1/viajar-andorra-bus
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richiavo, They not ask if U will take the car to unother country, but if U read the contract you will find out,, if something happens in unother country than spain, it will be expensive for you
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cars Hired in Spain, hertz and Avis do not charge a daily surcharge to bring car into FR. The other Spanish companies charge the surcharge up to a max of 35 or 40 euro
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The ludicrous Pepecar (the Ryanair of the car hire world) definitely charge more for leaving Spain. (These days they might even forbid it altogether.)
ski holidays
I've hired through Holiday Autos before and they haven't charged a supplement for going from Spain to Andorra.
snow report
snowsteve, It depends if U take the rout in france
latest report
freeheelskier, indeed it does, but I'd never take that route - there are tolls to pay plus you've still got to go up the mountain pass in to Pas which can get closed or at least be treacherous when it snows.
ski holidays
snowsteve, The questien was,, if U has to pay extra to take the hirecar to france,, I know U don´t has to pay for Andorra,,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy