Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insulating trousers to go under shell pants?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Thanks to the good work of Scotia, I've managed to order a pair of Norrona gore-tex shell pants yestreday with £100 off (due to arrive today and praying they fit - 40% off, bargain!).

Anyway, my question is since they have no insulation, what does one wear underneath? I have a tendency to feel the cold (as I somewhat lack natural insualtion) and in the past have worn a pair of icebreaker leggings with my TNF pants (not hugely insulated but certinaly more than shell). Current thoughts are possibly a pair of fleece trousers? Doesn't seem to be much in the way of primaloft etc in the pants dept (not for women anyway). Any other suggestions / experiences?

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's trousers your after, i've always been impressed with my craghoppers fleece "winter lined" trousers. Suppose you could wear them under a shell.

Don't understand why you'd want a pair of ski pants that don't have some sort of lining though, even if they are £100 off Puzzled then you need to spend more money anyway to make them insulated.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Snow and Rock's 3/4 leggings under my shell trousers. Provided other parts of the body (core, extremities) are warm, I don't feel the cold.

For days when it is really arctic I have a pair of Mountain Equip Cirrus pants that go under the shell:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/insulation/cirrus_pants---281/

I picked these up online for about £50 some time back. For me, they are too warm for general use, it needs to be minus 20 or below. For someone who feels the cold more, they could be ideal.

I wouldn't go back to a pair of lined trousers from using a shell. The versatility for touring etc. is too advantageous.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
trundlebunny, I cope with just icebreaker long johns under my Marmot proshell. Who's flogging Norrona cheap?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Don't understand why you'd want a pair of ski pants that don't have some sort of lining

shoogly . . . so you can ski without the under layer when it's hot . . . ahh I see your location . . . now I understand your confusion! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

so you can ski without the under layer when it's hot

But the OP feels the cold and usually uses Icebreaker leggings even under warmer trousers. Have to agree with shoogly, I ski in all weathers (but especially nice warm ones, thanks very much) and have never felt the need to wear just a shell with nothing underneath. I use shell waterproofs for bike rides if it's wet, but I have two pairs of ski pants and just wear the lighter ones (Fusalp) alone when it's warm. when it's colder I wear my £10 ex-hire Colombia trousers and when it's very cold I wear long johns underneath. When it's even colder I stay home by a nice warm fire. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

But the OP feels the cold and usually uses Icebreaker leggings even under warmer trousers.

Fair enough, I guess my point (if there was one) was that the flexibility to remove layers is IMO always better than not having the option to do so. If the OP is sure she's never going to get hot under the collar (or anywhere else) in any conditions then perhaps she would've been better with more padded trousers at the same price.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://image56.webshots.com/156/2/8/70/407320870FnuQSB_fs.jpg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Leggings made of Polartec Power Stretch will keep you toasty.

eg:
http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=3&itemid=638&type=man
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the responses!

Yes, to clarify, the reason for purchasing a shell is threefold:
(1) A venture into touring is a distinct possibility for next season (once hubby, who is less experienced has another 3 or 4 weeks under is belt) so the flexiblity of a shell at the stage has huge appeal
(2) Have been on the look out for a pair of well made gore-tex pants for a while (I'm an XS and never seem to be able to find anything in my size in the sales). My current TNF ones are really well past their best so need something in the next 2 weeks, equivalent insulated version will be full price so double the cost. If I can get a pair of fleece trousers for £25 I still have nice chunk in the new skis fund (have checked and my old ones apparently only have insualtion in the seat and knees anyway so not as much difference as I thought)
(3) I'm a self confessed gear whore - Norrona kit at 40% off is too much of a bargain to resist (I know, I know, its not a bargain if its not what you need........).

Steve Sparks - pm me your email and I'll send you the details (store has been having a clear out for about a week now so not sure how much stuff will be left).

Will check out the leggings....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Normal base layer, then M&S sweatpants.
Cheap & cheerful, but it works
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly wrote:
Don't understand why you'd want a pair of ski pants that don't have some sort of lining though

easier to dry in two bits as well
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

then M&S sweatpants

Puzzled they're not called sweat pants for nothing. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ice breaker! 260 weight should keep you toasty Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've skied in 18C and wore swim shorts under a shell. Handy to undo them at lunch time. In really cold weather I have some Karrimore fleece joggers, they work quite well. If you still feel it try a pair of Buffalo or Montaine pertex / pile trousers.
ski holidays
Steve Sparks, +1 on the icebreaker kit (although i just got some new 3/4 length ones so looking forward to trying those out!)

If it's really chilly i'll wear a pair of ronhill running tights (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-classic-tracksters/)

trundlebunny, you'll love the norrona trousers!! I destroyed mine earlier this season falling off a lift (maybe something not to admit), and was gutted but found a nice company that put them back together for me Happy
snow conditions
trundlebunny, try some Musto fleece trousers. They do the job for me when the cold is severe.
snow conditions
I wear a pair of Mountain Equipment fleece salopettes under shell trousers. The only pain is that I have to tuck them in to ski boots cos they don't unzip and are too narrow to go over the top (work fine over winter mountaineering boots though...). As a result they can be slightly uncomfortable towards the end of the day, but they are lovely and toasty (handled -20*c in the US without any problem).
latest report
Icebreaker thermals and fleece trousers under a goretex shell = hot pants. If it's really cold I wear icebreaker thermals under sawn off running pants (cut the bottom quarter off http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hill-Trackster-Elite-running-pants/dp/B001FO2IQO?tag=amz07b-21 ) under my soft shell trousers.
ski holidays
I have a pair of Skins thermal 3/4 compression leggings under my Arc'teryx shell pants. Wore them all last week and didn't feel any of the bitterly cold strong wind that was hitting us at the top of Val Thorens, and they are also good support for the leg muscles too & aid recovery & circulation.

I ski from December to May, so appreciate just a shell in the warmer months.
ski holidays
Whitters, you reckon those Skins are worth the money? Do you actually feel that they aid you in recovery?

Been thinking about getting some for a while but haven't taken the plunge yet.
ski holidays
Okay dokay - update for those who are interested!

Norrona pants arrived and fit like a dream. Good relaxed fit with scope for adjustment but without looking like they are a size too big, my first Norrona purchase and first impressions are that quality is spot on. So yes, they're a keeper (kind of a shame that they're black, would have prefered something a bit different but not going to grumble for the price). They actually have a thin fleece backing to them which I wasn't expecting (had expected then to be shell an nothing else like my jacket) so that will probably add a small amountof warmth.

Since fleece bottoms seem to have the majority vote (puting something non-breathable over icbreaker and under gore-tex would seem a bit of a waste), have just ordered a pair of these 3/4 length 'Marmot Womens Powerstretch Capri' from here http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/Fell_Mountain-Leggings_Women.html
£45 down to £27.99. They say they are designed to fit over a base layer so sound perfect. Already have a pair of the 3/4 length 260 weight icebreakers so fingers crossed that should mean nice hot buns for me!

Thanks for the advice guys!
snow report
They look warm and comfy.

They keep changing colour too - that's clever!
snow conditions
Ooooh, wonder if they do that in real life..........
snow report
I don't think capri tights would be good look for men. just my opinion.

You can read review
http://www.clothingemart.com/womens/capris
snow conditions
trundlebunny, would you mind PM'ing me the site? I just got a Norrona Falkentind shell jacket and I'm really impressed, would quite like some matching pants now!

Dave
ski holidays
Brie21, Thanks for the concern but fortunately I lack the crucial Y chromosome that would make me look like a (total) pratt in tights wink

Besides, they do a men's version too which just happens to be called a 3/4 length but looks exactly the same - and in any event, who's going to see them (apart from my husband and he's seen me in far more rediculous items of clothing)?

Capri's / 3/4 lengths arrived on Friday and are great apart from the sizing being bonkers. I ordered the XS and S, I'm normally a small size UK 8 and even the S was snug on the waist, have had to order the M - the waist on the XS was about the diameter of my thigh!

DaveC, Will send you the detials just PM me your email address, however, have a suspicion all the decent stuff will have gone, they were having a stock clear out and started about 2 weeks ago.
ski holidays
trundlebunny, Icebreaker merino 3/4 leggings 180 or 260 weight. I only took my 180's last week to St Anton and at -17c they were a tad on the chilly side on long chairs, 260's would have been perfect. I wear these under Arcteryx Theta shell pants and its a great combination IMO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Moleskin trousers.
snow conditions
shoogly, hard to say scientifically, but on a recent ski week my legs did feel a bit fresher than usual after having worn my skins to bed the night before. I only did this for the first two or three nights as by then my legs have got used to the intense exercise and seem to recover quite well anyway.

My leg muscles do feel very well supported during the day too and I didn't get too tired (despite racking up 65-70km per day according to a friend's GPS, albeit including lifts Embarassed ). They were certainly warm enough, having bought the thermal version.

They also leave a pleasant 'tingly feeling' when I take them off too. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy