Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Medic alert abroad ...

Poster: A snowHead
Historically, I've not bothered with a medic alert bracelet but relied on a note in my top pocket in both English and the language of whichever country I'm in detailing my condition, blood group etc and friends I've skiied with have known the deal and where to find it etc .... This year I may be doing a bit more skiing on my own - nothing too adventurous or off piste and, whilst I'll ski within my limits, I know accidents can happen on the easiest greens.

So my question ... do any of you wear medic alert bracelets whilst skiing or had to rely on one? I'm presuming they're recognised internationally but can I take it for granted that someone would seek one out in the event of an accident?

I'd welcome any thoughts or words of experience you can share ...

tor
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
never heard of them Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, and there I was very excited about having a reply Very Happy

http://www.medicalert.org.uk/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tor, do you have a medical condition which would be an issue if you weren't able to communicate? My OH wears a medicalert as a Type 1 diabetic, but there's nothing about me which would warrant a medicalert. And I would hope that no medical facility in the developed world would fail to type your blood before infusing you - you could have borrowed the jacket of a mate with a different blood group. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, yes, I it could be an issue if I was unable to communicate, which I know raises the whole issue of whether I should ski on my own etc etc hence questioning the medic alert thing.... oh what to do Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have somehow got to 40 without knowing what blood group I am.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tor, There are quite a few health professionals on SHs who would be able to give you useful pointers, but unless you are prepared to share whatever your problem is, I don't think you're going to get any very sensible answers to your question.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you don't want to discuss your health on a forum (can't blame you) why don't you ask your GP?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tiffin, Very Happy and that's how it should be for most .... don't concern yourself with stuff you don't need to!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Thanks - I probably will ask my gp although I doubt he'll have the relevant experience that I hope to find on here ... it's not so much a case of should I ski on my own, but simply, in the event of an accident abroad does any know if it's protocol to look for medic alert info first?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

although I doubt he'll have the relevant experience that I hope to find on here ...

he will know whether there is anything about your medical condition that other professionals (including the para medics who would be first on the scene) need to know before going ahead with the usual procedures with an unconscious casualty.

I can't see that there's anything about skiing which would make it a very different scenario than if, for example, you were knocked off a bike in the UK and unconscious at the roadside.

In civilised ski destinations there are well trained people likely to be on hand very quickly (unless you are skiing way off piste, which is definitely not a good idea for anyone on their own) and doctors within a few minutes. Your GP will most definitely know if there is any information about you which it would be important for them to have.

I have seen a couple of casualties on the piste in the last few days and the care and attention they were receiving was most reassuring - France, but would be the same in the other major Alpine destinations I'm sure. If I had "health ishoos" I suspect I'd avoid Bulgaria but that might be unfair.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tiffin wrote:

+1
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tiffin, shoogly, why not go donate a pint of the red stuff - they'll tell you what flavour it is, and you get tea, a biscuit an excuse to drink Guiness that evening as you're replacing iron and a sense that you've done something which could save someones life.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+10 wink

If I had a medical problem that might have serious consequenses then I would have the medic alert bracelet as a "belt & braces" approach
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways, Yeah I did go once but they wouldn't take it. From memory it was beacuse I had a stomach ulcer. I should probably try again now you have guilt tripped me wink
ski holidays
tor, I know this doesnt directly relate to abroad, but when I did my first aid course in the UK the thing we were taught was to always look for any bracelet/necklace etc which may show medical conditions before we do anything else to them.
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:
Me too, only even longer. Embarassed I was told not to come back to donate blood - it takes too long for it to dribble out! Laughing
ski holidays
I did know, but wouldn't be too sure now. and anyway, they'll always check. I think it's O pos. Something dead common.

I was once sent away from blood donating (rather embarassingly as it was in the office car park, and as a senior person I was supposed to be setting a Good Example) because I had to confess to having had sex with a person who had once lived in Africa.

They're not so daft these days. They have accepted my gracious donations more recently.
snow conditions
pam w, thanks Pam - when I referred to "level of experience" I was referring to knowledge of medic alert abroad and first had experience of having worn one rather than questioning his professional experience of a particular condition - I probably wasn't very clear!

Sorry you've had to witness some casualties recently - not nice Sad I don't really have any particular concerns about the level of care available to us in Europe we're so lucky but just wondered how much of an international thing medic alert is ....
ski holidays
spiky1013, thanks, it's a given in this country isn't it but I wonder if protocol is the same abroad?
ski holidays
tor, I wouldnt know this, my knowledge is simply for the UK as I have never undertaken a first aid course abroad so im unsure of how they're taught...

Hopefully some other sH's will be able to shed some light on the subject! Smile
snow report
spiky1013, would be good to know ... they say on their site it's a world wide thing so here's hoping Smile
snow conditions
tiffin, it's how i found out my blood group was O-RH+ with just a hint of gravy.

Seriously though, if you'd take a pint if you needed it, then you should at least go and try to donate a one once in a while. You'd do it if you were down the pub...
snow conditions
tor, if you have a medical condition which it would be important for people on the spot to be aware of, I don't see the problem. Wear a medic-alert - and hope they look at it. I'd also write a note and keep it with my ski pass and insurance details.
ski holidays
We don't need to know your condition: it is enough that you say it could be an issue if you were unable to communicate and you already carry the information on you because you recognise the need to. So why not just get a medic-alert bracelet and add to your chances. At the very worst it could do you no good because it isn't noticed, but it can't do you any harm and after all, the first-aider, paramedic, doctor who tends to you might well look for a bracelet first rather than a bit of paper in your pocket. I for one would have no hesitation at all in looking for a bracelet on an unconscious casualty on the slopes or anywhere but I would be less than comfortable searching through his or her pockets. So if the bracelet is looked for and spotted, it has done you a lot of good.

You ask the question about recognition abroad, but you don't presumably wear one at home in the UK. That's puzzling! I can't answer about the training of first aiders and paramedics abroad, but on the slopes and in the ski resort, the guy who is first on the scene to help you could be a UK trained first-aider - could be Spiky; it could be me; it could be one of the many British instructors working abroad. If your condition is such as could help the first aider to know (like diabetes) you are winning again; if it is one that is only relevant to what action a doctor is going to take, you still lose nothing. Without a shred of evidence to support me, I would be surprised if these bracelets were not recognised abroad

In summary, where does wearing one get you?

1. you can't make matters any worse ;

2. you could make matters a lot better.

Decision made?
snow report
ccl, great reply thanks Smile and one that makes a lot of sense. I've really not given much thought to the whole "what if I was unconscious" thing here in the UK but, as you rightly point out, it's just as much of an issue. I'll stop faffing and just get on and get one Smile

Decision made.
ski holidays
Knowing your blood group makes no difference, they test anyway and if there is no time, they just give O neg, unless you are in a part of the world were negative blood is rare on which case they give O pos.
snow report
I know my blood group. Have a bit of a problem remembering it though. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Knowing your blood group makes no difference,

Exactly, I kept saying that but they took no notice. wink
snow conditions
I wear a medic alert bracelet as I am allergic to some common painkillers. If I was given them it would seriously affect my system and could result in death. Something as simple as an asprin could prove fatal.

For me the choice was simple.
snow report
I use a Medi-Tag as they have an international phone number ran by the below Ambulance Service. As well as basic info you can have more detailed facts held on your record. Think it's about £20 per year. Useful to have if you wear contact lenses in case you are out for the count.

Operated Internationally by the West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust. This annual subscription service is available with any Medi-Tag.

http://www.hoopers.org/Meditag_order.asp
snow report
Oh.. I wear a necklace as these are often noticed esp in case of head injury treatment.
ski holidays
tor, I've seen Medic Alert in Africa and the far East, as well as the UK. So, by that small sample, it's possible to assume that it's internationally recognised.
ski holidays
Zero-G, hi and thanks for that - it's obviously recognised internationally which has got me thinking i should have done this a while ago! I've decided the simplest answer is just to get a mediband style rubber bracelet ...Scarpa,
ski holidays
Scarpa, thanks and good point!
ski holidays
Nothing to do with me so not a plug but found these

http://www.mediband.co.uk

which look great for sports with some simple off the shelf ones or those you can design yourself.... may be useful for some snowheads Smile
ski holidays
Zero-G wrote:
tor, I've seen Medic Alert in Africa and the far East, as well as the UK. So, by that small sample, it's possible to assume that it's internationally recognised.

Medic Alert has the international call number and holds more details than the basics on the braclet/pendant.
ski holidays
Scottish Scrutineer, hi I kind of presumed you have two options - to have the tag and further info in with your insurance card etc or have go the medic alert route whereby they call for further information but you pay an annual subscription for this ...
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Knowing your blood group makes no difference,

Exactly, I kept saying that but they took no notice. wink

I noticed, honest. That's why I'm not bovvered about not being able to remember it Cool
latest report
I have had my entire medical records tattoo'ed on my torso to prevent any such confusion, I am thinking of adding my preference for a window seat and no fish in the in flight meal too,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy