Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

iiiiis Snowboarding safer than skiing

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1347904/Snowboarding-safer-skiing-National-Ski-Areas-Association-finds.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's certainly more extreme. Or was it less extreme? I can't remember.

Nowely?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well hard to say, but probably correct. Was on the board today, first time in a while and hated not being able to see much in my blind spot.

Would like to point out that skiers have a lot of lower body injuries from twisting knees etc which require medical attention and are therefore recorded. Some snowboard injuries may go un recorded as people are less likely to call for help if they hurt their upper body. But i have no proof, just a thought.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Less fatal than skiing perhaps, danger does include injury. Very Happy

Quote:
Skiers have long regarded the younger sport of snowboarding as technically inferior and have often been vocal in railing against complicated tricks and manoeuvres that boarders strive to achieve.

'cause there was never freestyle skiing, or moguls and there is definitely nothing called free-skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting debate. Have to agree with what jjc says re boarders continuing with injury. I've done it a few times, one was pulled muscles in shoulder/neck and the other was a bruised/inflamed knee from hitting ice (temp so cold that day it didn't hurt, it was only when I went back a few hours later for a shower I realised the knee was twice the size of the other and lovely shades of purple/black!).

Boarders perhaps also tend to wear more protection than skiiers. Skiing I'd go out with my helmet, where as boarding I'll also be wearing impact shorts, knee pads (or will be once I get on the hill this season) and occasionally wrist guards. I also find I'm much more aware and cautious of my surroundings on my board, especially having a skiier almost collide with me as I was turning on my heel edge (not my fault, and the *!$% even had the cheek to shout out at me as if it was).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Skiers have long regarded the younger sport of snowboarding as technically inferior and have often been vocal in railing against complicated tricks and manoeuvres that boarders strive to achieve.

WOW! If they're going to make a contradiction that fast, they should signal or something first - Exactly HOW can a technically inferior sport be full of complicated tricks and manoeuvres?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways, this is the daily fail. they're trying to appeal to a certain (idiotic) demographic Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
probably is due to the fact i have only had two injuries when skiing both caused by snowboarders!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to ski and board alternately during trips but only ski now (being twisted on the drag lifts with a board started to ruin my back). I found boarding easier to learn but i put that down to already knowing about edge control due to skiing. The feeling of letting loose on a board is just awsome and in my opinion its up to the person coming from above to give room in overtaking just in case you make a heel edge turn.

I did find that once you caught an edge on a board you were down !! due to having both feet clamped, with skis its easier to save.

But if i didn't have lower back problems i would still be doing both for sure.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richiavo wrote:
probably is due to the fact i have only had two injuries when skiing both caused by snowboarders!

Blimey, 7 replies before someone blames their all injuries on snowboarders. Is this a record? rolling eyes

I think the article is generally correct and a number factors may come into play...

1) Generally, boarders are slower than skiers so impacts with solid objects are (slightly) less damaging.
2) The most common skiing injuries are knees but having your feet fixed to a board means twisted knees are less likely.
3) Boarders are more likely to wear helmets. It's almost part of the uniform.
4) In a wipeout on a board, its easier to get yourself into a safe posture as you slide across the snow.

These are just my personal observations as an infrequent skier and regular boarder.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
unclenewy wrote:
in my opinion its up to the person coming from above to give room in overtaking just in case you make a heel edge turn.

^^ this.

A skier friend of mine last week, after I got completely taken out by a skier in a tuck trying to overtake me in the narrowest possible way (who then crashed into me when I had the brazen temerity to make a turn - heaven forbid!), advised me to "look up the hill before turning". Failing to notice, it would seem, that to look up the hill when going from heel to toe edge would require me turning my head 180 degrees, like that girl in the Exorcist.

What do you think I am, a bloody barn owl?

Hence why I still maintain that nobody should be allowed on the hill unsupervised until they have done both skiing and snowboarding. The unawareness of each other's blind spots, turn shape, and general geometry is the reason why all skier/boarder crashes happen, and the root cause of all the silly tribal hatred of each other.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ho hum, yet another attempt at creating rivalry between snowboarders and skiers... getting tiresome.

So heres my daily fail headline...

"sking should be banned on health and safety grounds in the event of zombie apocalypse. Skiing industry must modify ski boots to allow skiers to outrun brain eating hordes...

Spokesman from snowboarding industry says "we have followed all zombie escaping procedures for years. Its a terrible failing that skiers are vulnerable to reanimated flesh eating corpses.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The research also found that the traditional skier's injury of a broken leg has also been all but eradicated by improvements in bindings, which now commonly have quick release mechanisms.

Commonly have quick release mechanisms!? Ski and snowboard articles would be better if they were written by someone who had actually had the vaguest idea about skiing or snowboarding.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Technique wrote:
unclenewy wrote:
in my opinion its up to the person coming from above to give room in overtaking just in case you make a heel edge turn.

^^ this.

A skier friend of mine last week, after I got completely taken out by a skier in a tuck trying to overtake me in the narrowest possible way (who then crashed into me when I had the brazen temerity to make a turn - heaven forbid!), advised me to "look up the hill before turning". Failing to notice, it would seem, that to look up the hill when going from heel to toe edge would require me turning my head 180 degrees, like that girl in the Exorcist.

What do you think I am, a bloody barn owl?

Hence why I still maintain that nobody should be allowed on the hill unsupervised until they have done both skiing and snowboarding. The unawareness of each other's blind spots, turn shape, and general geometry is the reason why all skier/boarder crashes happen, and the root cause of all the silly tribal hatred of each other.
I totally agree. I mean if you're going to make a turn out of the norm, take a different piste or just pull to the side to wait for someone, then yes, you should make sure you're not gonna take someone out first. But if you're just regular carving and someone is coming down quicker then surely they must be able to see the way you are turning and judge the pass accordingly, i know i do.

I've only ever had one near hit when a guy decided to take a sharp left to another piste right on the junction. It was a relatively flat spot so no-one was carving and he was over to the right of the piste, i came down his left side quite a lot faster than him but easily 15m away, then he just comes right accross my ski tips, luckily i spotted him and managed a hard brake to the right, but nearly took someone else out in the process. I had a lovely new gouge in my ski tops as a souvenir!

If i had thought fast enough he would have got a mouth full of ski pole!!
ski holidays
I'll do a diagram of what happened.

Code:

ME      HER
|                                                                       \       |   |
|                                                                        |      |   |
|                                                                        |      |   |
|                                                                        /      |   |
|                                                                       /       |   |
|                                                                      /        |   |
|                                                                     |       VROOM |
|                                                                     |         |   |
|                 F*CKING                                             |         |   |
|                 MASSIVE                                              \        |   |
|                    EMPTY                                              \       |   |
|                     PISTE                                              \      |   |
|                                                                         |     |   |
|                                                                         |     /   |
|                                                                         |    /    |
|                                                                         \ X /     |
|                                                                          OUCH     |
|                                                                                   |
|                                                                                   |

As you can see, I "put an unexpected turn in", but I'm perfectly entitled to do that without having to stop as if I'm crossing a road.
ski holidays
unclenewy wrote:
I totally agree. I mean if you're going to make a turn out of the norm, take a different piste or just pull to the side to wait for someone, then yes, you should make sure you're not gonna take someone out first. But if you're just regular carving and someone is coming down quicker then surely they must be able to see the way you are turning and judge the pass accordingly, i know i do.

I've only ever had one near hit when a guy decided to take a sharp left to another piste right on the junction. It was a relatively flat spot so no-one was carving and he was over to the right of the piste, i came down his left side quite a lot faster than him but easily 15m away, then he just comes right accross my ski tips, luckily i spotted him and managed a hard brake to the right, but nearly took someone else out in the process. I had a lovely new gouge in my ski tops as a souvenir!

If i had thought fast enough he would have got a mouth full of ski pole!!

The skier in front is entitled to make whatever turn they like, with or without looking. It's always the responsibility of the skier at the back to make sure it's safe to pass and leave plenty of room. The only time the lower skier must look up the slope is when coming onto a piste, starting off or moving up a slope. Well according to the FIS anyway: http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/insidefis/fisgeneralrules/10fisrules.html.

IMO it's a good idea to look behind before making any sudden change in direction or speed as so many don't appear to follow this "rule" on the slopes.
snow report
IMO of course it is safer than skiing 'as long as you where all the body armour that goes with it' Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy