Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuben in Early April

Poster: A snowHead
4 day break with 9 year old son. Both solid intermediates. Had reserved Obergurgl but want a change.

Typically what will snow conditions be like ? Will be be able to ski back to Stuben ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tough call, it'll be very slushy. Stuben is pretty low for an April ski trip...

I was in St Anton late March 2010 and we would often ski that long run all the way down to Stuben, but it was patchy in places, the odd stone poppin' up here and there too. Could have been worse though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did the run mentionned above from Schindler down to Rauz towards the end of April last season and it was fine early on but started to get slusy as you got to lunchtime, don't recall it being patchy or seeing any stones (IIRC we did have snow in April). Some of the home runs in to Anton were getting pretty mushy tho.

You thinking of this season or next? With the way the weather's been recently, I'd be tempted to hang fire a bit for this season and see what happens in Feb snowfall/temp wise.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This season. Bit concerned that hotel I would like to use will be unavailable if I book later. Equally, no point in being there if the snow is poor. Will hold off for now I think. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alanf24 wrote:
Tough call, it'll be very slushy. Stuben is pretty low for an April ski trip...

I was in St Anton late March 2010 and we would often ski that long run all the way down to Stuben, but it was patchy in places, the odd stone poppin' up here and there too. Could have been worse though.

Stuiben/St Anton are one of the higher Austrian resorts, don't fall for comparing Austrian height to French height. We were there last April, could ski back to Stuben no problems, no stones, no bare patches. The beginner slopes that were south facing were a bit patchy, but no problems at all.

Stuben opens until the 25th April, which tells you something.

The runs down to St Anton were very slushy, but easy to avoid. However it's spring, I quite enjoy slush Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have ended up booking Stuben. Hubertshof for 4 nights. Based on current weather looks like the snow is being saved up for late season ! Since coming out of retirement last year I have done 4 trips all to Obergurgl so am looking forward to the variety. That said, we have been lucky/spoilt by the snow conditions there, so hopefully Arlberg will be comparable.

Any tips on nice mountain restaurants (with a 9 year old) and fun runs to explore very welcome

Thank you to everyone who has posted
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blastfromthepast, when are you there?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saturday 2nd April till Wednesday 6th
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blastfromthepast, I've been to Lech last week in March and conditions were superb. Good chioce.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blastfromthepast wrote:
Have ended up booking Stuben. Hubertshof for 4 nights. Based on current weather looks like the snow is being saved up for late season ! Since coming out of retirement last year I have done 4 trips all to Obergurgl so am looking forward to the variety. That said, we have been lucky/spoilt by the snow conditions there, so hopefully Arlberg will be comparable.

Any tips on nice mountain restaurants (with a 9 year old) and fun runs to explore very welcome

Thank you to everyone who has posted

Basically you can't go wrong if you avoid the self-service restaurants.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blastfromthepast, stayed in the Hubertushof a couple of years back with my family and my in laws family. Great hotel and very nice owner. Stuben is in the shade for a lot of the time and in my experience gets a hell of a lot more snow than St Anton - snow record is probably on a par with Zurs. The beginners slope will suffer though, but I'm guessing that's not an issue for you.
In terms of lunching in Stuben - would avoid the Berghaus Stuben. Used to be a great place but now has new owners and the food was nowhere near as good as it used to be. I believe that the owners bought the Haus Schneider, which is up the main st. Hotel Post gets a good rep but have not been.
Quote:

Basically you can't go wrong if you avoid the self-service restaurants

Don't know about that. The one half way up Albona is perfectly acceptable and the one in Rendl is very good indeed. The self service in the Burg (just under the cable car) in Oberlech is excllent too. If you want table service, the Griabli opposite the Mooserwirt is good for lunch and for apres. Hospitz Alm is excellent but expensive (think France prices). Rud Alpe on thw way down the Lech from Oberlech is excellent as are the restaurants in Oberlech. To be honest if you're there with a 9 year old I would think the self service places mentioned would be more than adequate.

And make sure you do the toboggan run from Oberlech to Lech one night. You can get the bus from the end of the street at the Hubertushof. Really is great fun and your son will love it.

PS The spare ribs at the Hubertushof for apres ski snacks are the best ribs I have ever tasted. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for this. boabski, you are right re Self Service -the boy doesn't like to linger over a long lunch (=tired Dad) so these are normally ideal. And no need for the beginners area. Thanks also for the previous posts you did on Stuben and this particular hotel

Will try to check out the toboggan run in Lech.

kitenski, are you there at the same time ? Never knowingly met a snowhead before !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blastfromthepast, nope, I arrive on the 10th unfortunately!! We stayed at the same hotel last year, liked it so much we are going back!

We actually didn't lunch out all, the kids were in ski school and had an 8 Euro voucher which got them lunch and a drink/

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Greg -shame you won't be there when we are -will try to post a report once we're back before you go !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Two and a half weeks to go and it looks pretty ugly on the village webcam....

Forecast is good though so fingers crossed. Hopefully it will cool down before the lower pistes are completely melted. Puzzled
ski holidays
Blastfromthepast, last year the village was brown, the skiing was great Smile
snow conditions
One week to go.

Temperatures seem forecast to be higher than ideal. Webcams turning a touch brown in the village

Some snow forecast on Bergfex

Any views on the best skiing if it is on the soft side welcome -Stuben largely north facing I believe ?

Lech worth visiting in these conditions ?

Should I be regretting cancelling Obergurgl booking ? Puzzled
ski holidays
Blastfromthepast, We stayed in Stuben in February and had a great time. The Albona is mostly North facing so that should be good this time of year. It's pretty easy linking up with the St. Anton slopes for good mileage. Then, depending on the conditions, just pick your aspects through a very large area. We drove up to Lech/Zurs for a couple of days, not a long trip at all. There's lots of skiing over that way, it's high, and it should be really good with a 9 year old. Lech is a very pretty place, while Zurs is more of an Arctic outpost, so if you want to walk about Lech is definitely the place. There's a big skiing loop around the Lech Zurs area called the Weiss Ring that is mostly easy. If your son has some experience it could be a nice adventure for you guys. On the loop there's a little village called Zug with several good sit down but expensive restaurants. If you don't mind the expense and your son has the patience it quite fun to stop there. The most famous restaurant in Zup is called the Rote Wand and it's excellent. Good luck with the conditions and have fun.
snow report
Blastfromthepast wrote:
One week to go.

Temperatures seem forecast to be higher than ideal. Webcams turning a touch brown in the village

Some snow forecast on Bergfex

Any views on the best skiing if it is on the soft side welcome -Stuben largely north facing I believe ?

Lech worth visiting in these conditions ?

Should I be regretting cancelling Obergurgl booking ? Puzzled

Last year on the 9th April when we went the webcams were browner than they are now in Stuben, but all the north facing pistes are off to the right of the Stuben Webcam, and we had no issues skiing back to Stuben.

Deffo worth one or two days over in Zurs & Lech, we also had a really fun day with the kids in the Rendl fun park...
ski holidays
kitenski, and Jack,

Thank you for cheering me up.
snow report
Blastfromthepast, avoid dropping down to St Anton, the runs down there were really slushy/heavy last year!!

I've dug out some photos from last year....

This was the nursey slopes at Stuben at around 5pm on the 16th April I reckon? They were still skiing them, these face the opposite way to most of the slopes and were the 'worst' in the area (you can see the road to Lech/zurs at the top of the pic). We are sitting on the beginners travelator, you can see how much snow they must get for that to be at 'snow' level!!

This was down in St Anton earlier the same day, the kids were waiting outside the Rendl gondola for me to pick them up in the car...

And then this was up the top in Lech a few days earlier after some light overnight snow...

snow report
kitenski, Top photos, thanks, Will try to post some where we're there so you can see how things are shaping up for your week. Possibility of a couple of piste refreshing falls, perhaps not at valley level, prior to my arrival, so here's hoping Stuben works its macro climate magic.
latest report
Nursery slope in Stuben is closed. South facing so no snow. Boarded Stuben first thing Thursday morning and it was fantastic, much better snow than we have here in Lech. Very slushy low down, and Anton is worse. Some nice bits higher up tho.

Edit, will try and put up some of the pics I took of Stuben once I find my camera cable...
snow conditions
As Sitter pointed out, the nursery slopes face pretty much south and are first to go. They looked pretty dodgy for most of Feb this year (as was most of Lech).

The north-facng slopes on Albona hold the snow pretty well. You should also be able to find some decent snow on the Seekopf side of Zurs.

I do not eat big lunches, so not the best source of info on that, but Mittelstation at Stuben had a pretty decent soup chef this year. We ate there a lot and also at Seekopf.
snow report
any idea where the Stuben ski school take complete beginners at the moment then? we have a few families coming with us who are complete beginners.....
snow conditions
Pure guess... but possibly Zurs, on the Tritt side. There are some pretty reasonable beginner slopes and it is not far from Stuben.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy