Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Therm-ic boot .... drier question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have bought some Therm-ic boot driers, the mains powered plastic ones, not the battery pack ones that warm your feet as you ski.

Do you just put them in your boots at night and leave them swiched on 'till the morning, or do you put them on for a couple of hours at night and a couple of hours in the morning?

I have insta-print 'beds and a new Zipfit liner that I am wanting to get warmed up before the off.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I normally stick mine on for a bit at the end of the day to help dry them (make sure you remove the liners from your boots reasonably often as the inside of the boot/outside of the liner is likely to be damp and doesn't seem to dry out when you use those boot dryers). I then stick them on for an hour of so in the morning to warm them up a little.

Try to avoid the big commercial boot dryers as they can distort your footbeds.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maccaa,After drying, I put my boots and heaters inside a cool bag - 30 mins in the morning gets them nice and toasty and easy to put on - I have Zpifits too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maccaa, they can be left on all night if required without causing any problems
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar,ski,CEM

Thanks all, really appreciate the rapid responses, didnt want to wreck my new boots etc

rob@rar I will shy away from the industrial ones as mentioned,CEM has made a couple of shell mods and want them to stay that way.

Cheers all

Maccaa
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i have clear shells and noticed just how much moisture collects between the liner and shell
the driers do a good job in the liners but it leaves the moisture in the shell, i guess thiss will freeze quite nicely the next day if left

I now remove the liners and give the inside a wipe with a microfibre cloth to remove any moisture
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got one of these. If I am in resort I will happily leave mine in my boots all night so they are dry and toasty in the morning. In reality the kids sneak up and pinch them out of my boots and stuff them in theirs when I'm not looking so it can be a bit of fight to see who gets the warmest boots in the morning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone use the Comformable boot dryers - the ones that are like small oval pebbles at the end of a wire that sit in the bottom of the boot. They have them on the Ellis Brigham website here http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-boots-accessories/conformable/710048/drywarmer They are cheaper and would take up less room in luggage, but not sure if they are as good as the blow-dryer ones.

When using the commercial dryers in boot rooms, they definitely do leave dents in custom footbeds so usually stuff a large balled up sock in the heel piece to act as a cushion between the end of the dryer and the footbed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
curry-queen, They don't dry the boot as well as the blower ones.. but - removing the liners for a couple of hours (with the heaters in) does the trick.

In the morning, before breakfast, pop the liners back in - heaters in - and you'll have warm, dry boots to put on. Putting the whole in am insulated bag gets them even warmer wink

You can also use this type of heater to dry out other stuff - gloves and shoes etc when in the UK.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum,
Quote:

it can be a bit of fight

Hmmm - I had to buy a second set to avoid the divorce court Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
Megamum,
Quote:

it can be a bit of fight

Hmmm - I had to buy a second set to avoid the divorce court Laughing

I preempted this issue and a second pair arrived from Santa for O/H
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
curry-queen,

I have the thermic version of the ones you are looking at, but yours will have UV, cool...don't even have to turn the light on to find your boots Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you don't have any warmers would you consider it bad form to dry them on a rad in your room?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't consider it bad form (although I might go for next to rather than on) but some hotels can be a bit twitchy about boots in rooms.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
I wouldn't consider it bad form (although I might go for next to rather than on) but some hotels can be a bit twitchy about boots in rooms.

next to the radiator is not a problem, as for hotels being twitchy about boots in room.... I dam well pay enough to stay there, i won't wear them to the room but you can be sure the boots WILL be going to the room and not the damp ski store. on the one occasion they whinged we checked out and went to the competion next door who were only too happy to accept our business, boots and all
ski holidays
maccaa, I don't actually have either type of boot warmer, but was just wondering which type was preferable as am thinking about getting some. My boots don't tend to suffer from damp but I am keen to have them warmed up in the morning to soften the plastic a bit because they are very difficult to get on!

Do both types of warmers actually make the boots easier to get into - and would they have more effect that simply placing boots in your room? I've found that some of the newer buildings have underfloor heating rather than handy radiators.
snow conditions
Question for CEM and Smallzookeeper please (any any other bootfitters) ...... Are the two pronged hairdryer type boot dryers definitely OK for conformable custom footbeds? I went to buy one in S&R recently and they advised me that they were not suitable for custom footbeds. I am hoping that I could use one because my liners are a complete nightmare to get out of my boots as they are tiny boots (22) and even the OH struggles to get them in and out (whereas his own size 28s pop out easily). Also there is a funny plastic gadget thing inside that controls the soft/firm setting and in the past this has ripped a gouge out of the bottom of the liner whilst putting the liners in and out so is now covered in gaffer tape. So although we carefully take the liners out to dry at the end of each holiday, it's a nightmare to do every night. The boots are Head Dream by the way, so you might know the plastic gadget thing I mean.

Thanks guys!
snow conditions
curry-queen, surely you could just remove the footbeds before you turned on the dryer?
snow conditions
curry-queen, we have Thermics and custom foot beds.
I'm no boot fitter like the mighty CEM but I think S&R are talking utter tosh!

those boot "heaters" should be called boot "slightly warmerers".

I am 100% sure that they are nowhere near hot enough to alter a custom footbed.
We leave them in our boots from the moment we take them off, until the moment we put them on, the boots are warm(ish)...not anywhere near hot.
latest report
Hells Bells, Unfortunately there is no way we can get the footbeds in or out without the liners. As they are only a size 22, I can barely get my hand into the heel pocket let alone get a grip on the edge of the footbed.

rungsp, That's helpful to know, thanks. I have seen two versions, thermic and hotronics but I guess they are very similar. It's got to be worth a go because I am also hoping this will warm the boot up slightly so that they are easier to get on in the morning!
snow report
Been using the thermics for years without any problems. In fact I have 2 sets cos they also work very well on your gloves. I just take boots up to room each day, take out liners and wipe inside of shells dry. Pop thermics inside liners and gloves. plug in and leave on till time to go next morning

Boots always easy to put on and being dry menas no smells. Dry gloves each day are nice too. Never damaged any conformables etc "just not hot enough"
latest report
A very old thread I know, but a quick related question. I'm cycling to work two or three days a week and despite this being the middle of summer I seem to get soaked almost every day. I don't mind riding my bike in the rain but I really hate putting wet shoes on. My shoes that were soaked last Wednesday were still damp when I put them on this morning. If I buy ski boot driers (the kind that blow warm air) will I be able to use them for my cycling shoes?
snow report
@Valkyrie, yes, I have one of these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/shoe-dryer-therm-ic-id_8330888.html

and they do a good job of drying any shoes, (ski) boots, gloves etc.
snow report
@Valkyrie, Yes they work fine in cycling shoes. I've used mine on my Shimano mountain bike shoes/boots for years without any issues.

I should add, that if you have any Thermo mouldable components such as foot beds, be careful with the temperature.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy