Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - St Anton 8th-15th Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Background
A bit about me so you can gauge what kind of trip it was. Came to skiing fairly late and this is my 6th trip after going to Kitzbuhel, Mayrhofen, Sauze, Courmayeur and St Anton in 07. The wife and I usually go with a big group of varying ability, but on this occasion there were 5 of us, the other three being boarders. Being 6 foot 7 and only having had a week of tuition I'm nowhere near the average ability on here. Not graduated to off piste yet, but am under control at all speeds on most slopes, if a little gangly!

Getting there
Went from Gatwick, and I can certainly recommend valet parking. Went with help-me-park.com who, at £54, were amongst the cheapest options. There was a guy waiting when we arrived so no hassle involved at all. I was surprised to find that we had use of a lounge as part of our package with Crystal which I certainly haven't seen before. No delays on the flight, but Thompson have a new policy of not allowing anyone to move to the emergency exit seats if they are empty so was rather cramped. No transfer dramas.

Accomodation
We stayed in Chalet Tirolerhaus, right next to Tom Dooley's, which is a Crystal Finest chalet. I have to say the customer facing staff were excellent - very friendly and always eager to please. The food was good, with wine throughout the meal and port and cheese to finish. The usual stuff was served for breakfast, with coffee and cake in the afternoon. The room was large and bright with a fantastic shower that never ran out of hot water.

I believe there were a few complaints, particularly about portion sizes. Being quite a big guy with a healthy appetite I certainly didn't see a problem. I think some guests were expecting a full cooked breakfast in the morning too, rather than the hot option that forms a part of the breakfast that is the norm. It was interesting that this was a "Finest" chalet as there wasn't anything spectacular on show, and the standard was not as high as our previous visit where we stayed in Chalet Traudl. That being said, the staff were great, the rooms clean, the food good, the wine plentiful and the shower hot which is all I need from a chalet holiday.

Kit
I came to this website late and realise how limited I am when it comes to ski trips. I still hire kit, although I know not to go through the TO, and we went to Sport 2000 at the Nasserein gondola where we have been before. Thanks to sah's discount code I got 15% off the hefty prices in resort and got "gold" skis and boots for about £150 - probably three times what we paid in Italy, but then that's the score in St Anton...

As I said, I'm still pretty naive so pretty much just take what I am given, and in Austria this normally involves the staff laughing at my height and picking the biggest skis they can. This year I had some Atomic D2s, 182cm. Last time I went I had some Head Monsters of the same size, which was bigger than all my previous trips. I really struggled and was about to take then back when I got used to it, and this year had no problems at all. I had a couple of comments from people on lifts saying they were nice skis, but I probably couldn't tell the difference...

Shop were fine, and took them in for a service after the first day when I went over a broken bottle Shock near the Mooserwirt.

Conditions
Hmm... Changeable and springlike to say the least... We had two days of poor visibility and at one point only just being able to see past the tips of my skis. Two days of glorious sunshine countered that, but on Thursday it rained the ENTIRE day. We didn't venture out at all, and it was the first day lost in 6 trips. Not a bad run I guess. It's very warm and it seems like a good start to the season has been set back a long way. No sign on snow until wednesday I think, and I'm glad we didn't go out this week as was originally planned.

The pistes were getting VERY chopped up and mogully by the afternoons, as worse as I have seen. Very little off piste to be had, although my mate had great fun in Rendel on the last day on the unpisted run right at the top. Still plenty of fun to be had though, as if one part of the mountain wasn't great you could head somewhere else and find wildly different conditions. I had a great time, although if you were looking for the usual powder offpiste then you'd have been disappointed. It wasn't that busy really, and they seem to be coping pretty well with the conditions with very few runs closed. Weirdly the blue 4 down towards Galzig, which is normally carnage, was in it's best state on Friday after the rain!

Apres
Sledging - I cannot recommend the Rodel evenings enough. We booked a table in the Rodel-Alm and stopped half way down for food. They have re-done it since I have last been there with more space outside, and the toilets need to be seen to be believed. The food there is amazing - grostl and fondue being the favourites - a great atmosphere and the sledging itself is great fun. This time I didn't lose my rodel down red 24...

Due to a combination of kids in the party, staying in the Nasserein area and general idiocy, last time I went I had no idea that the Mooserwirt, Krazy Kangaruh et al existed Embarassed Rectified this year though - what a place the Mooserwirt is. A better time cannot be had after skiing I am sure. The run down in the dark is quite something. The first time we went the three of us got split up, and I arrived back at the same time on foot as my friend who had got lost and got a taxi! Just go there.

Probably don't need to say anything more, its why people go after all.

Mountain food
All pretty much the same standard - good quality but not cheap. The best place for lunch is probably the Rodel-Alm, but as it is on the run down to the Nasserein gondola you pretty much have to make a special trip to get there. Well worth it though. Overall there is plenty of traditional Austrian food to be had of good quality, and there seems to have been a lot of redevelopment in the 3 years since we have been. The restaurant in Rendel is much improved for example, with a wide range of choices.

Overall
We had a fantastic week. Due to the dynamics of the group we didn't cover as much ground as we normally would - didn't get over to Lech for a start - and the conditions were certainly unexpected in January, but we would go back in a heartbeat. Yes, it is expensive, but then you know that before you go and it is worth it. The chalet was good, we still had plenty of skiing despite the weather and we (rather belatedly) discovered the Mooserwirt. Excuse my rushed lunchtime review - just go if you can!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great review! I loved St Anton (hence my misspelled username!) and like you would go back in a heartbeat.

Awesome place.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great place. Thanks for the review!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice review. Shame about the unseasonal weather, better luck next time. And make sure yougo to Lech/Zuers too Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, would have liked to do Lech/Zurs again, but some of the guys we were with were taking it very easy. One quit at 3.05 at the bottom of Galzig because he was "a bit tired" ON THE LAST DAY!!! We went back round to St Christoph, then down to the KK and the Mooserwirt Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rhoobarb, great review Smile
Just back myself and as we were checking into the hotel @7pm 3 german lads in full ski gear and fluro green Shrek wigs fell through the door singing 'Country Roads' at full volume. I think they may have been in said Apres bar beginning with M Laughing

The atmosphere always seems to be good though and doesn't descend into yobbishness
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^ hehehehe brilliant!

"Country Roads" and "Sweet Home Alabama" seemed to be the singalong songs of choice when we were there!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice TR. Here's hoping the snow conditions improve for the end of Feb. Not sure I'd survive all day every day in the Mooserwirt Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rhoobarb,

can you please share the ski hire you used for sport 2000 please
B
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buster, The link is here http://www.sport2000rent.at/en/news/newyearbonus-2011-01.42 but I believe it was only valid until the 12th.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Not sure I'd survive all day every day in the Mooserwirt

wimp wink The secret is not to break the circle.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great review - thanks for the hot tips!. We are off there on 5th March and hoping desparately that the forecast for more rain between now and then doesnt hold up - where is all the snow!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lech and Zurs would have been perfect for your lads that wanted to take it easy! Great runs and pretty much deserted in comparison to StA! The only problem was one day when there was a horendous queue on that two man chair from above Zurs that takes you down the itinary (easy) to the Lech sector!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roy Hockley, I agree - we would probably have got a taxi over there on the Thursday, but that was when it rained. Definitely worth a trip over there and a drink in the champagne ice bar if its still there.
ski holidays
Does anyone know how much a taxi from St Anton to Zurs/Lech would cost and is it better to take taxi to Zurs or Lech?
ski holidays
purplegirl, it's not a knock in the pants off €50. You can easilly ski from St Anton to Alpe Rauz (in direction of Stuben) and take the free and pretty frequent bus from there. There's quite often taxis waiting there too. To be honest we usually take the taxi there becuase there's usually 6/7 of us.
snow report
Boabski - thanks for the info. There will be 4 of us so we will see how flush we feel. But we might try the ski/bus option you mention. I checked out the post bus timetable and it seems quite slow.

Now my next query - I want to book a private lesson for a couple of hours - does any have any recommendations? When I was in St Anton a few years back I took ski school lessons with Arlberg Ski School (I think) but have since discovered it suits me better to have one to one tuition and then the instructor can really focus on ironing out all my mistakes and bad habits and building my confidence.
ski holidays
We used dom Jonas last year +43 660 4054118. First time Ive had a lesson on snow. He is a snowhead and think his website is www.activetherapy.com (or eu or co.uk??)
He's got a few threads in the disability section on here
snow conditions
Just returned from St Anton and thought I would add my views to some of the points made variously above.

1) If you want a chalet that serves cooked English breakfast every day in St Anton try Mark Warner's Chalethotel Rosanna. It's excellent in every way (including the breakfast!)

2) The on-piste snow conditions were good enough with no real bare patches anywhere although the main runs back into town are a bit icy in places due to heavy wear. There were not many off-piste areas that are not totally criss-crossed with tracks since there has not been any new snow for weeks.

3) The free bus to and from Zurs and Lech is easy to take from Alpe Rauz but these buses get horrendously full at peak times. If you are a largish group a taxi might be better.

4) There is still an ice bar on the slopes in Lech

5) For anyone older than 30ish, Taps (next to Krazy Kangaruh) might be a better option than KK for apres ski especially when the staff get you dancing on the bar and dole out free shots!

6) The Mooserwirt is as crowded and good fun as ever. But also try the Hausstadl higher up Blue 1 for live music with a bit more elbow room.

7) Never miss the Picadilly in town if you like to sing along to great songs. Guner is still going strong after 16 years singing live at the venue most evenings of the week.

My ideal day in this region is to ski St Cristoph, Alpe Rauz, Stuben back to St Cristoph for a late lunch at the Hosptz Alm (slide down the chute when visiting the W.C.) then ski back to St Anton via Happy Valley stopping at Hausstadl at about 4pm, then on to Taps, then on to Mosserwirt and finally catching the last hour or so of Guner in the Piccadilly. Oh happy days!
snow report
Quote:

My ideal day in this region is to ski St Cristoph, Alpe Rauz, Stuben back to St Cristoph for a late lunch at the Hosptz Alm (slide down the chute when visiting the W.C.) then ski back to St Anton via Happy Valley stopping at Hausstadl at about 4pm, then on to Taps, then on to Mosserwirt and finally catching the last hour or so of Guner in the Piccadilly. Oh happy days!

Ditto
latest report
boabski, What do you do with the weans when you are at the Mooserwirt? Do they stay outside and keep an eye on the skis, or are they allowed to participate? Do they sell juice, as my only experience of Austrian apres ski has been Iscghl, and I have never seen any kids in any of the bars. I thought the bars only stocked beer, champers, vodka and schnapps!
snow conditions
gandie, I've seen plenty of kids with Mums and Dads in the Mooser, not so many in the KK though.

You don't have to buy alcohol you know to enjoy the atmosphere wink
snow report
You don't have to buy alcohol you know to enjoy the atmosphere

Samerberg Sue, Thats exactly what i'll be telling my 16 year old Twisted Evil

If kids are welcome in then it will make it a lot easier as they have heard about it from various uncles etc and they have been asking to go. I wasn't sure what the form would be.
ski holidays
Glad that alchohol is not compulsory - for me skiing and booze do not mix!!! Don't care if that sounds wimpish, it's the reality of being a 40something.....
snow report
gandie,
Quote:

What do you do with the weans when you are at the Mooserwirt

this -
http://youtube.com/v/oH_tTiI_KYI was taken a few years ago. To be honest the kids are usually fine if there's snow outside to play with, which makes Moos, KK and Griabli decent joints. Had them at Niki's Stadl this year, and my 7 year old was dancing on the dance floor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy