Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seasons with the kids

Poster: A snowHead
Has any one gone out to do a season and taken the kids with them? Im thinking about doing it in the next year, two max, and it would more than likely be France. Any advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wish my parents had
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iceski, This is a thread by a SH who did a season in France with an 11 year old http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47053&highlight=
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it legal to take the children out of school for so long?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Leeds_Skier, yes, homeschooling is legal... and looking at the Bac thread, possibly a good thing too wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda, Bac thread?

Iceski, out of interest are you planning to work or living off savings? (Am presuming given your sig you'd be working as an instructor - ISTD?)

I get the impression there's nothing stopping anyone taking their kids out of school (in the UK) and heading abroad for a time but I guess what makes me nervous (I have a 7 yo boy and 11 yo girl) is how well they'd cope with the change in culture and the change in schooling. Unless loaded enough to pay for a private school of some descrition I'm guessing the only option schooling wise would be to put them in the local school which would mean a language issue straight off, having said that I've heard positive things about how well kids cope in these situations and pick up the language pretty fast.

I'm interested in other people's experiences though because at I wouldn't want to rule out a stint abroad once/if I get my ISIA ... although France might be a non starter for me for obvious reasons!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, the English Baccalaureate thread.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ ah right, thanks that'll be in the Apres zone - I don't go in there! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, Laughing wise move.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a look at http://www.morznet.com/jobs/doing-a-season-in-the-alps.htm especially the second page. I don't think you'd be the first person to do this!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Iceski wrote:
Has any one gone out to do a season and taken the kids with them? Im thinking about doing it in the next year, two max, and it would more than likely be France. Any advice?

My neighbour in Les Arcs has done three season and placed his primary-school age daughter in the local school for the January-Easter term (with the permission of her school at home in Jersey). I think the first year he did this she was 7 or 8. The local school was mainly for full-time residents but did have three or four seasonnaire children in the class. My neighbour's daughter is now fluent in French and skis very nicely, although now that she is in secondary school her parents have decided that switching to a French school for one term in three is no longer appropriate for her.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, what a great arrangement all round. Sounds absolutely ideal for a primary school child.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know of a family that did this with mixed results...... three children; The eldest (14ish) didn't get on with it at all and went to a boarding school back in the uk, the middle child 11 got on brilliantly and fitted right into the local French school, the youngest (9ish) struggled and gave up to go to a UK boarding school.. but with him there were "other learning difficulties involved"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's much harder for older kids - teenagers are very conservative. My kids were fine moving primary schools (many a time, though not into a completely new language, which is a big challenge) but when the possibility came up of another move abroad my then 14 year old daughter hated the idea. We didn't go.

The younger, the easier. My daughter started primary school in Scotland and was bilingual - she spoke fluent Ayrshire in school. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Guys. Id be working, but not as a ski instructor. Im a kitesurf instructor and designer as well, so maybe something along those lines, obviously not teaching kitesurfing but im thinking I could get a fairly quick ski kite equivalent?? thanks again tho, I shall follow up the thread links when i have a second.
My kids are under ten, so Im pretty sure Itd be a great experience for them. Ive travelled extensively but never in snowy climes, so we shall see.
thanks again, and any other comments will be much appreciated. Shock
snow report
oh and thanks Pam, my kids are Bilingual also, maybe thatll help them? Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy