Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glenshee in the rain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went to Glenshee on Friday to grab my first snow of the year and found RAIN and WIND.
But it was not all bad. After a couple of schusses down the Sunnyside greens to warm up I head over the top into cloud and more rain but I soon forgot this as I just mucked around building up my ski legs and speed in the Meall Odhar section. The Glas Maol bowl was closed but opened just after midday when I had the opportunity to tank it on the wide natural pipe on the far side of Glas Maol after a loooooooong flat approach along the ridge in strong winds which had you poling downhill!
Having been born in Scotland I had never skied there before so I approached it with some trepidation. I had skied Riksgransen in May after a heat wave and I have to say that Glenshee had the runs well prepared given the circumstances. Yes there was rocky bits. Yes there was icy bits. Yes there were bits where you had to herringbone up to a tow because the usual short cut was just not there but the main runs were still in good shape. Well done. Rkisgransen's pistes were dangerous when the light was flat because of the six inch Kerbstones between basher runs. The iffy bits at Glenshee were well posted, I thought.
I will go back. Hopefully in good snow conditions, not the massive thaw we've been having.
The only real downside, I have to say is the preponderance of quite vicious POMAs. I'm 14st and one tow litteraly lifted me off the ground on launch. I saw a number of smaller users being steam catapulted into the distance, especially snow boarders. I managed to miss a couple as the wet aluminium combined with sopping wet gloeves left grip nil as the beast kicked in. You soon learn the technique at each tow though as the have their little idiosyncracies. Mostly. Grab. Fit between legs. Snowplough wide to slow the launch. Then Relax.
Loved it. Legs still hurt. See y'all again.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mcspreader wrote:
I went to Glenshee on Friday to grab my first snow of the year and found RAIN and WIND.
But it was not all bad. After a couple of schusses down the Sunnyside greens to warm up I head over the top into cloud and more rain but I soon forgot this as I just mucked around building up my ski legs and speed in the Meall Odhar section. The Glas Maol bowl was closed but opened just after midday when I had the opportunity to tank it on the wide natural pipe on the far side of Glas Maol after a loooooooong flat approach along the ridge in strong winds which had you poling downhill!
Having been born in Scotland I had never skied there before so I approached it with some trepidation. I had skied Riksgransen in May after a heat wave and I have to say that Glenshee had the runs well prepared given the circumstances. Yes there was rocky bits. Yes there was icy bits. Yes there were bits where you had to herringbone up to a tow because the usual short cut was just not there but the main runs were still in good shape. Well done. Rkisgransen's pistes were dangerous when the light was flat because of the six inch Kerbstones between basher runs. The iffy bits at Glenshee were well posted, I thought.
I will go back. Hopefully in good snow conditions, not the massive thaw we've been having.
The only real downside, I have to say is the preponderance of quite vicious POMAs. I'm 14st and one tow litteraly lifted me off the ground on launch. I saw a number of smaller users being steam catapulted into the distance, especially snow boarders. I managed to miss a couple as the wet aluminium combined with sopping wet gloeves left grip nil as the beast kicked in. You soon learn the technique at each tow though as the have their little idiosyncracies. Mostly. Grab. Fit between legs. Snowplough wide to slow the launch. Then Relax.
Loved it. Legs still hurt. See y'all again.

glas maol poma can be good viewing on it's own
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never really thought of it being a spectator sport before, but I can see it now. Opening a wee cafe next to the launch pad so that sadists can watch wee lasses being hurled through the air whilst sipping their mochachino. There could be a future in it. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

one tow litteraly lifted me off the ground on launch

there are several round here like that. You need to lean right forward and absorb the jump. I wouldn't snowplough! there was one some years ago in La Rosiere where the liftie shoved everyone hard between the shoulder blades, at just the right moment. My kids called it the Nutcracker. it may still be there. the more smooth and streamlined French resorts have removed all the character building drag lifts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

one tow litteraly lifted me off the ground on launch

My kids called it the Nutcracker. .

Being lifted off ground is not so bad. I can vouch, from my recent trip to Glenshee, that the "nutcracking" is far less fun!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mcspreader wrote:
Never really thought of it being a spectator sport before, but I can see it now. Opening a wee cafe next to the launch pad so that sadists can watch wee lasses being hurled through the air whilst sipping their mochachino. There could be a future in it. Twisted Evil

i always thought that what 50% of the queue was for.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many many times i've skied at Glenshee, Glencoe & Nevis in the rain ( and it was never warm rain lol) Always had a fantastic time. Skiing in Scotland is a unique and atmospheric experience. To get the very best out it...always have the right gear with you so you can enjoy it whatever the conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GreyCat wrote:
Many many times i've skied at Glenshee, Glencoe & Nevis in the rain ( and it was never warm rain lol) Always had a fantastic time. Skiing in Scotland is a unique and atmospheric experience. To get the very best out it...always have the right gear with you so you can enjoy it whatever the conditions.

i'm up there most weekends (or as many as i can manage) and never thought of it as "unique and atmospheric". cold, miserable and windy would be closer for me.
however glenshee on a good day is pretty damn good
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy