Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What energy booster for the slopes, lucozade or....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead

I am off skiing next Saturday Very Happy

Trying to decide what to get to boost my energy and endurance on the slopes. Was wondering about desolving tablets I can put in my water bladder...

I had a look on the lucozade website but can't decide what is best. Or maybe you know something better?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strong coffee around 10:30 and Gluwein (sp?) or beer with lunch Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ritter Sport and a double Espresso......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ritter sport and a grand creme.........
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hip flask of Scotch.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Porridge with bananas and honey for breakfast and a course of ski lessons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Porridge with bananas and honey for breakfast and a course of ski lessons

Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lucozade gels are great for cycling so would be also useful for skiing but you need water with them....just to take the edge off the taste Laughing their tabs are good disolved into water too

SIS are good too either gels or some kind of bar, high in carbs which will give you the boost
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
apologies...not lucozade gels...isostar

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/isostar-total-performance-energy-gel-4-x-35g-sachets/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it doesn't rot within 7 days its poison for your body (extreme view perhaps but has a sound basis) Water in the (hydration) bladder, and what's wrong with dried fruit of your choice / fresh (expensive in the Alps) fruit. Frankly unless you are doing XC or skinning you aren't burning what you drank & ate last night and had for breakfast, and your lucozade tabs are a mis-interpretation of lack of fitness. Not much time before next Saturday to deal with that though.

I'm taking a bottle of port and some Ibugel personally.

Have a great trip but don't stress about hypos on the slopes. (If you must the current Wiggle voucher code is 3c1c3-1efca)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just stop for the occasional vin chaude or hot chocolate piled with cream; that's kept me going through the last seven seasons at least rolling eyes

No point carrying water in France because it's available for free in all French restaurants.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 15-01-11 22:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nemeziss, You can get gel sachets that are more dilute and do not need water (High5 Isogel). Go on cycling or running sites for reviews and search for sports supplements to buy, there are often half price offers about. Or go for caffeinated gels for an extra boost. Complex carbs will provide the best fuel though as otherwise you often get an insulin spike that leads to another drop in 40 mins.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

No point carrying water in France because it's available for free in all French restaurants

Not always. Some places up mountains claim that because of water supply problems they can only sell you bottled water - which is invariably such a stupid price I decide on a beer for the same number of euros.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Complex carbs will provide the best fuel though as otherwise you often get an insulin spike that leads to another drop in 40 mins.

Jam sandwhiches, simple sugars for a quick boost, complex carbs in the bread for longer lasting energy. Normal skiing eally shouldn't require an energy boost other than your normal meals though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
absolutely Scarpa....i just meant in cold weather they can require a bit of water as they can taste a bit corse (isogel lemon for sure IMO) but thats on a bike on a reasonable distance in the cold Smile
latest report
skinutter, I know what you mean, have that problem too Laughing . The larger sized screw top ones in tropical fruit are a little too sweet... hard to force them down. I like the smaller more fruit flavoured ones... or vanilla is nice.
snow conditions
A decent brekky. Plenty of carbs, and simple sugars. i.e. bread products and jam, large bowl of cereal (with sugar) and full cream milk (generous application), more bread products and jam until you are stuffed. That's what I get the kids to eat. I eat it too, sometimes we will go bacon and egg at the expense of some of the bread and jam, but I always ensure we go out with loads of calories and carbs and sugars. Choccy bars in pockets for Scooby snax. Hot drinks or beer mid morning. Back to appt. for lunch - something quick, sugars and carbs if we can manage it - beans on toast, bacon butties and more choccy bars. Mid-afternoon stop as per morning. Unless you are doing excessively strenuous I can't see the need for special drinks. Perhaps for the dedicated skinning and cross country brigade, but for the 1-2 week a year holiday skier I doubt its necessary.
ski holidays
Megamum, Wow, I hope you're burning that lot off.
ski holidays
Water. That's all you need. Remember that you have to clean your hydration kit out afterwards and days of sticky bacteria infested gunk is not too good for you. You can also get water free at the bottom of the mountain, my experience is that they charge for it up the mountain as it must be bottled. Don't use tap water up the mountain! Toofy Grin
latest report
Eat a mix of fast release andslow release. Toast and Honey and Porridge. And make sure your hydrated which is the most important thing. THe best energy bars can be home made. Get a couple of slice of bread and butter them then put honey on them and sandwich oatcakes in the middel. By 11´sies the honey has soaked into the oatcakes.
snow report
Quote:

Unless you are doing excessively strenuous I can't see the need for special drinks. Perhaps for the dedicated skinning and cross country brigade, but for the 1-2 week a year holiday skier I doubt its necessary.

Could say that about your normal skiing food! Shocked
snow report
Bread made entirely from wheat has a relatively poor (ie high) GI - meaning that it will "burn up" quickly. Baguettes have exceptionally high GI - nice for a change, but don't kid yourself they're a good source of complex carbohydrates. Some breakfast cereals have good GI (e.g. mueslis with a low wheat content and plenty of other grains such as oats, barley, rye). Others are very high in sugar and rather less nutritious than the boxes they come in.

Megamum, Bread and jam for breakfast, beer or hot choc mid morning, bacon butties and chocolate bars for lunch? Shocked I hope you're eating masses of fruit and salads in the evenings!

Bananas are a superlative snack but not easy to carry around the pistes, of course.

OK, people skinning up mountains are going to get through mountains of calories. But yer average holiday skier bumbling around on pistes and getting carried up the hill by expensive machinery is likely to put on weight if they use skiing as an excuse to stuff themselves with calories all day long.
snow report
Toffee Vodka Toofy Grin
snow report
Power Bar Natural Energy Bars. Good slow release carbs, long lasting.
As glasgocyclops mentions, stay hydrated. A lot of people's lack of endurance is just down to too much alcohol and not enough sleep. De-hydrating from alcohol is worse at altitude, likewise, drink more water than you would at home. I drink 2 litres of water per day at home (100m asl), but 3 litres a day when i'm above 1500m. If you have a decent level of fitness to begin with, just not getting drunk and a good night's sleep will be a good start, depending on the physical/mental aspects of the day ahead.
Double espresso first thing gives you a good start to the day!.
snow report
I find a normal lunch tends to get me through the day when skiing, but I use the following when cycling and hillwalking:

1 litre water bottle of either SIS (Science In Sport) PSP22 (a glucose polymer drink), or Maximuscle Viper Boost (energy drink containing all sort of bits and bobs, including caffiene)

and

1 litre water bottle of SIS Go (an electrolyte mix drink)

The combination of these 2 has gotten me through 150 mile cycle runs, and 5-Munro hillwalking days (in addition to eating 'normal' food)!!

All of these drinks are also available in gels as well.

I find Maximuscle Viper Boost particularly good. The orange flavour tastes really nice, and you can actually feel it having an effect! The only thing is that it's quite expensive, so I only use it for 'big' days. SIS PSP22 on the other hand is cheaper, but doesn't taste too great (although it's drinkable).

But, as i'm going to Meribel next week, I definitely be hitting the Rond Point to test out Spyderman,'s theory concerning the Toffee Vodka Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mountain Haddock wrote:
If it doesn't rot within 7 days its poison for your body

Oranges?

I tend to do a big fry for brekkie. Bacon, egg, sausage, tatie bread, soda, mushroms, tomato, beans and a pancake or two. You can only get soda and tatie bread over here, so you have to take it or make your own. Also cures hangovers. Lunch is a couple of choccie bars on the lift, but with a good brekkie you don't need much more. Loads of water all day
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Porridge with bananas and honey for breakfast and a course of ski lessons.
Yesss! I finally succumbed to opening this thread, the title of which I found positively offensive (lucozade? power drinks? bleeughh) and, lo, I found the perfect answer. Very Happy

Edit: OK, I must confess to carrying the odd cereal bar (as healthy, non-sweet a one as I can find) and some water - but certainly not litres of the stuff: I want to ski, not spend half the day in the loo.
latest report
shoneyman wrote:

But, as i'm going to Meribel next week, I definitely be hitting the Rond Point to test out Spyderman,'s theory concerning the Toffee Vodka Madeye-Smiley

The Lodge in Meribel Village is the place for Toffee Vodka, with a pint of Mutzig on the side, whilst listening to "Bring your Sisters"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
and some water - but certainly not litres of the stuff: I want to ski, not spend half the day in the loo.

Don't worry - you will metabolize it and sweat it. You could eat sugar all day, but if you get dehydrated, you will still be completely knackered
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
The Lodge in Meribel Village is the place for Toffee Vodka, with a pint of Mutzig on the side, whilst listening to "Bring your Sisters"

+1
ski holidays
Thornyhill, it's OK, I don't eat sugar all day and I don't allow myself to become dehydrated.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

+1

I thought Limoncello was your thing. Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, not any more Going green
snow conditions
I've never been to The Lodge. Plainly I should. wink
snow conditions
Aye, that 3 litres is over the course of the day ie; In between getting up just after 7am and heading to bed about 11pm. Just about half that total, at the most, out on the mountain, the rest of it with breakfast and in the evening. Being properly hydrated for the day actually starts the previous day. It needn't result in 'spending half the day in the loo'.
As Thornyhill says above, you will metabolize and sweat it.
ski holidays
Backcountryboarder, fair enough, my total fluid intake during the day (excluding wine and, contrary to popular belief, that is my principal alcoholic drink) is probably about that, perhaps a bit less.
snow report
Backcountryboarder wrote:
In between getting up just after 7am and heading to bed about 11pm. .

Bed at 11???? Are you 8? three hours sleep is plenty.... the excitement will cover the rest

Hurtle - I think you think I think you thought what I thought was about eating sugar. I think you thought what I think was thought.... erm..... maybe its time for some water now.... I think. What do you think? Very Happy
snow report
Thornyhill, I think it's probably Monday tomorrow. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

you will metabolize it and sweat it

Hmm. I rarely drink water during the day, actually, after a couple of cups of tea in the morning and lots of water overnight. I still have to think ahead to where the loos are going to be. Depends on your metabolism, I guess.

I don't eat sugar during the day - maybe a nourishing plate of chips at lunch. But today, being Sunday, will be Proper Lunch. For most people (not athletes on specially prescribed regimes) sugar is a completely unnecessary part of the diet. That's not to say I don't enjoy a bit of fantastic patisserie - I certainly do, though I tell myself it's a Special Treat, not an essential way to keep me skiing all day. wink

I carry a couple of small choc bars - must rescue them, they are disintegrating in the pocket of my salopettes having been there for 2 weeks.

Muesli and banana this morning. Nothing else needed till lunch, and after that, nothing till supper!
snow conditions
On a hot day I find sugarless gum a good way to stop feeling too dry-mouthed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy