Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dakine deluxe tune up kit for skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys / Gals,

Been loking at getting a nice tune up tool set for my skis. (I know its middle of the summer, but I gotta spend money on my skis!! Evil or Very Mad )

Seen the Dakine Deluxe kit which looks nice, it includes:
Edge tuning tool
10" file
Wire file cleaning brush
Metal scraper
10" wax scraper
Pocket stone
P-tex (2)
Octane Bar ( All Temp Wax )
Scotchbrite pad

Only problem is.. every website seems to label it as "snowboard tune up kit". Only FaceWest call it "ski & snowboard tune up kit".

Is there any difference in the tools used for ski and snowboards? and if I buy this will it be ok for my skis?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mharris, the only difference is that the scrapers are wider for snowboards than for skis, should be absolutely fine for skis
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mharris, the Burton/RED file guide is very good for travel. (And is often found for much less).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mharris, Not meaning to be opportunist but I've a very natty file Toko Precision File Guide going mega cheap in the Buy & Sell section.

My buying consortium (well me & a couple of mates) have spent a good few weeks researching the best tuning kit to buy & ended up spending mega bucks to get quality gear. We've now tuned about 30 pairs in total & I've done about 17/18 of them myself so we reckon we've got the technique about sorted now & have a good of idea regarding kit etc.

The Dakine set-up you describe is really for boards. For skis I'd recommend looking at http://www.kunzmann-skitools.de

Kunzmann make excellent kit & make many items that other companies badge up as there own products. The UK importer is Ronnie at Kandie Imports on 01324 861 296 and his service is excellent.

If your edges have already been 'set' to the angles you desire then you really only need to polish them with a 4" diamond stone(s) in/on a guide to keep them in shape. Base grinding & major repairs are best left to a reputable store.

If you're after just basic kit then I'd recommend the following Kunzmann gear. I've included individual guide prices but if you're buying the lot you should be able to negotiate a 15% discount, inc P&P.

3121 Ergo alu side edge guide (in angle of choice) or my Toko adjustable guide mentioned above! Either at £18.
3161 Base edge guide (available in 0.5 or 1 degree) £4
3347 Waxing iron (a pro iron is well worth it for accurate temp control as it's easy to burn the bases) £60
3318.3 Nylon brush £6
3318.4 Brass brush £12
3316 Metal scraper (for shaving down p-tex repairs) £2
3312 Plexi scraper 6mm (for wax scraping) £4
3238 World Cup file without tang £8
3227 DMT diamond stone red/fine 600 grit £24
3226 DMT diamond stone blue/med 325 grit £24
3246 Gummi block (for deburring) £6
3332 Pair of brake locks £3
3343 P-tex candle sticks (although these don't hold very well compared to a proper 'welded' repair) £2
1051 Univeral wax, 25kg £26.50
109315 SKS wax remover (for cleaning scraper & bases prior to repair only) £5
Brikko yellow/soft wax for hot scrape base cleaning £6

Plus the following from your local ironmonger:
Roll of 50mm masking tape (half the price of 'logo'd'sidewall tape & does the same job) £3
Green/course scotchbright pad (for use after hot scrape cleaning) £1
Posidrive #3 screwdriver for binding mounting screws £5
4" paint brush for cleaning off the skis during brushing etc £3

You'll also need a decent vise set. The best & cheapest we found was 'The Beast' (http://www.the race-place.com) for $100 which will be around £70 inc shipping, duty & VAT etc. If you go for this option then buy the DMT diamond stones from the US also as they're way cheaper than the above UK prices.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mharris, Have a look at the Datawax site..(www.datawax.com) - they can sell you a kit, and a vice...probably for much less money. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy