Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription inserts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to clog up the board with more threads about this but just wanted some straight answers from anyone with any experience with inserts.
Contact lenses are not an option at the moment.

Do inserts fog up? I hear some people say no and others tell horror stories.

How do they compare to glasses and OTG goggles?

Anyone got anything else that they think relevant or anything I should know before I take the plunge and grab myself a set of goggles and inserts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fundamental, Although it always dreadful when someone suggests (particularly to a newcomer) that they try the search function (top left) - make sure you click the second set of options down the page to search all text in the post and not just the post titles). In this instance it would be really worthwhile for you to do so - this subject comes up a lot and there is oodles of really top info on prescription inserts that has been discussed before.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fundamental, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Mine don't; they're great. They are much, much, better than glasses and OTG goggles. and cheap. Mine were about 25 euros in Albertville.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks megamum. Will look again.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For two winters I have been skiing with the Addidas Elevation a +1.5 insert, about 5 weeks of skiing. They are also great for cycling. They work well most of the time but seem prone to fogging up when I am stationary and it is raining or snowing. But they normally clear quickly after I start moving. They are fine in most skiing conditions, just a couple of times during heavy snow I have had to change to real goggles.

I have seen some adverts for "stick on lenses" that can be stuck to the inside of goggles. There are several references to them in scuba diving websites. Try Googling for "stick on prescription lenses". Has any other Snowhead any experience with the stick on lenses? My concern is that the prescription part will cover just a small part of the goggle's lens.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fundamental,
Got some Bolle Ski Goggles - Rx Goggle Adaptor C, had my optician to make up some bi-focal lens for them (so i can read the piste map). put Muc-Off Eyewear and Goggle Anti-Fog Treatment (about £9) on the lens every 2 - 3 days of use, have used for about 6 weeks skiing, have not misted up once.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Normally I wear varifocal glasses (just old age) but my inserts only have the distance correction. Initially this was for speed and low cost, but actually they are far better for skiing than my varifocals worn under goggles - because the vision correction is right, across the whole field of vision. Well, for skiing it is. for reading menus and piste maps they can be a bit more of a challenge. But I don't need a piste map round here, and I usually have my ordinary specs with me for lunch times etc.

Occasionally if it is very warm my goggles might fog a bit - but two minutes on top of the helmet always sorts it out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had adidas prescription inserts, and I've tried OTG too as I never could get on with contacts either - I never really found a solution that worked as they'd always mist up (queue bad vibes!) in the end I was lucky enough to be able to have laser surgery - totally changed my life... My goggles still mist up though (maybe I'm just sweaty!) - have just bought a pair with a fan!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

in the end I was lucky enough to be able to have laser surgery - totally changed my life...

We paid for our daughter's laser surgery for her 21st birthday. She suffered quite a lot with it - it was an unpleasant experience, for various reasons, but she's thrilled to bits with the result. It's great for skiing but the main difference, for her, was in water sports. She sails, surfs and windsurfs (though not a lot at the moment having a small baby wink ) and for those sports any kind of vision correction is problematical.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Adrian, Did a quick search of those, mainly seem to be reading prescription ones for sunglasses. One of two mentions of ones for diving googles also. Like you I think there would be a preipheral vision problem, there is a slight one with inserts.

I get on well with my Bolle inserts. Slight misting issues if I stand around too long but that soon goes once I start moving. I also found mention while searching of someone having bifocal inserts made which is quite interesting.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The total solution is to buy the Uvex RX prescription goggle (the goggle lens is actually prescribed-no insert). Not available in the UK, you have to purchase from Canada. This surpasses all prescription insert models and is worth doing. No misting, the prescription is actually integrated within the goggle lens. From Ski and See in Canada.

http://www.ski-n-see.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, I had read the words about being a reading prescription but was thinking that my everyday prescription might be another persons reading prescription. I imagine the stick ons are described as used for reading because they only cover a small part of the lens. That would be fine for reading because you do not need much peripheral vision, if any.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy