Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR - Aviemore and the Cairngorms December 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58305984@N06/sets/72157625821115614/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58305984@N06/sets/72157625821115614/

Sorry it's taken a while - the run up to Christmas kind of got in the way.

Anyway, I can happily report we had a fantastic time in Aviemore and the Cairngorms.

This was our second time skiing in Scotland - ph actually first skied real snow in Glencoe seven years ago.

The journey up
Well, it had been dumping down in the East of Scotland, so our easier route via Perth would have caused problems so we went via Glasgow. Did have an offer off of a Glasgow based SH of his pad if we got stuck - unfortunately it was plain sailing ; ). We hadnt set off till the afternoon so a lot of the drive was in the dark - which was a shame as we missed the views Sad . We arrived about 9pm ish and checked into our B&B The Cairngorm Guest House.

The Cairngorm Guest House
What a brilliant little place. Warm, welcoming, cosy.
I couldnt have asked more from our room, it was like a little luxury hotel room, on suite, lots of luxury fabrics and a bed full of cushions. There were lots of lovely little touches such as bottled water in the room. The hotel does have a kit room aswell. The public lounge is welcoming and has a little fridge which ph and I stocked Wink. The hotel is on the main road (next door to Ravenscraig - which I know a few SH are booked into in March). It is also opposite the bus stop - no buses on a Sunday though and apparently they can be a bit unreliable if the snow is bad. If you see someone at the bus stop - offer them a lift up...we did and had a great days skiing with Malcom (the Dad of the lady who owns the Ravenscraig - thank God, someone who knew how to queue at a lift in Scotland!)
Breakfast is great - another lovely inviting room, loads of choice, great cooked breakfast and fab porridge. If we returned to Aviemore as a couple we would not hesitate in booking this place again.

First Night
We were a little late in arriving so stopped at one of the nearest restaurants to eat - a new place called Pappa Rocks - Aviemores take on Hard Rock Cafe. It works though, nice place, good food (not amazing - but good!). Really friendly staff.

Day one
Fab brekkie and off we go, cant believe it - snow gates close right in front of us - literally - other than the top man at the resort who pulled in in front of us. We hung around for about an hour hoping the gate would open but it didnt. Still had plenty of giggles in the queue with others anxiously waiting. Eventually heard the whole mountain was closing down so headed back to Aviemore Sad Still had a great day wondering around the shops, eating, drinking, reading the papers in peace (I have a four year old - that was heaven in itself).

Day Two
Who hoo - we made it up the mountain! Vis was rubbish, sleet/snow much of the day but we were determined to stick it out. Had to stop often to de-ice the goggles as the rain drops were stuck solid on my goggles and would not wipe off. Had a fab chilli in the Ptarmigan (sp?) restaurant - just what was needed. Skiing was interesting - despite the fact that there was really bad vis - someone seemed to have stolen all the piste marker poles, it was a case of point down hill and ski till you get to another lift or the bottom Wink
Key was to stay up high though, to avoid the queues.

Day Three
Blue skies! Yahoo! Picked up my Sugar Daddy at the bus stop and had a great days skiing. Had lunch in the T-Bar pub at the bottom; dark, huge queue, puddles on the floor - but a log fire and I loved it.
There was enough snow for a really decent covering. Not powder, but some of the fluffy stuff sitting on top to make it nice easy skiing.
We ate in the Caringorm Hotel - kind of what you would expect from Scotland - a nice night, decent food, again nice but not amazing.

Local Tips - buy your lift pass in the town ski hire shop - it will save you lots of queueing time. When you get to the funicular queue, queue to the left to get on the train - the ones queueing on the right are queuing for lift passes. We by passed the whole queue almost and were virtually straight on the train.

In conclusion
We loved it! I was amazed at the sheer immense of the mountain range, I really was not expecting it. You are at the mercy of the weather Gods but if you treat it as a break with the potential for some great skiing then you wont be disappointed. Doo Below - is good for cocktails and grub!

Journey home
We went back the same way as the snow was still pretty bad in the Perth direction. The views were absolutely stunning. Forgot that we would pass Glenbogle - it was fab; the roads were snowy though so we couldnt stop to take pics as it would have been too dangerous for any traffic behind us.
Got stuck in freaky snow in Glasgow - but that was freaky so there's no point going into detail on here.

Ski Scotland? Hell yeah!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-01-11 19:26; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sweet snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice photos Shimmy Alcott.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like you got it good Shimmy... great conditions in December (again) and a good time to make the effort - and it was some effort you made! Great to see you clearly enjoyed it.

Freddie Paellahead, i think you are being too kind!

wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, Laughing he's right - that was ph's photo of course Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great photos Shimmy Alcott - love all the smiling faces ... and the icicles Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, You travelled up the day we returned if I remember right and we got no days on the hill out of three...so very jelous! However can I point out it's not cool to have a gap between your hat and goggles (known between the cool kids as a tw*t-gap), so although you actually got some skiing in I am considerably cooler than you! NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
manicpb, I'd rather not discuss my tw@t gap on an open forum Laughing
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Shimmy Alcott, what, no helmets? Little Angel

(c) Instant thread derailments R us. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bump - as i added the Trip Report!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
bump - as i added the Trip Report!

Hey yeah, I thought it was me missing your TR when I first looked at the thread lol!

Good write up and pretty much sums it up, different to the Alps but wow get the right conditions and it can be awesome and very different to anywhere else - if you haven't skied Scotland you haven't skied Cool Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott, Glad you had such a fantastic trip snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
who does ph's teeth?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, Laughing

Shimmy Alcott, passable Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy