Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with avalanche airbag systems

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone flown on Emirates with an airbag? Flying to NZ in August on Emirates (all the way, no code shares). Mammut airbag, non-refillable cylinder.

Not booked flights yet but thinking that going BA/Singapore/Virgin/Qantas is likely to be more hassle as there's a bunch of codeshares with Etihad/Cathay Pacific/Jetstar/Air NZ.

Also - any idea of Mammut dealers in NZ if I needed a new cartridge?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Recent experience with TSA and BCA Float. Absolute doddle , carried on at DEN, packed Cylinder as BCA advise, empty with head detached in original box. Scan showed it clearly, didn't even need to show it to them. Admittedly was BCA's home airport.

BA worse than useless, I rang cust services to inform them just in case. Was referred to some special approvals 0208 number which seemed to be an unattended answerphine who never got back to me.

On a not unrelated matter anyone knpow where I can get a Float refill in Val Thorens, Central London or Surrey?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a quick comment on my recent trip through Grenoble from Manchester with a Mammut Snowpulse with Monarch - canister in hold luggage, backpack as hand luggage.

- I obtained permission through Monarch to carry the airbag - although they quoted the outdated regs in reply.
- No issues at all going through Manchester
- Stopped @ security on the way back in Grenoble. Lady somewhat confused - wanted to totally unpack the airbag - which obviously I wasn't too keen on. She called a supervisor over who instantly said - "It's fine" and explained to her colleague what it was. The first lady then asked "where's the canister?" and I told her it was in my hold luggage - she said something like "good as you wouldn't be allowed to take it in your hand luggage". I obviously just smiled and agreed. They were very polite and no real delay.

So from this I would say that, as long as you have everything in order and have the canister in the hold luggage you'll be fine, but there is clearly some confusion as to the regs and some people are still working off the old regs.

Cheers,
Dave.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any info on Iberia? Three of us are flying Frankfurt-Madrid-Buenos Aires in August with a Mammut, a Snowpulse and a DIY ABS (amuse yourselves) and I am a bit concerned Confused
Looks like they had a page explicitly stating that you can take the airbag both as cabin and checked baggage, but it is now removed. The user Arno mentions here (page 3 or 4) that he was able to board in 2011, but I can't find anything more recent. I will give them a call later this week, but people on the phone usually have no clue what an avalanche airbag is and tell me that no compressed gasses and cylinders are allowed rolling eyes

And for future reference, some of my past experience:
Turkish Airlines took a month to respond and allow me from London. Didn't fly with them in the end. But the final mail had the tail with all the forwards from my initial email through the hierarchy of their customer support quoted. All in all I think it went through about 10 people, until somebody on the top gave permission Very Happy Very Happy If nothing else I at least informed half their English speaking customer support what an Avalanche Airbag is and that it is allowed (((:

I flew with Qatar Airways London - Doha - Delhi and back in February with the makeshift ABS (never mentioned it's not original). Sent a mail to the support and they cleared it, even asked for booking reference, so that they can warn the check-in desk in advance. 10/10 would fly again Very Happy

Then I flew Delhi - Srinagar for Gulmarg with SpiceJet. This was a bit more bizarre, as I sent a mail and they replied that it's ok, which I printed. In the Delhi airport I met 4 or 5 Austrians with ABS backpacks. They were flying the morning flight and I had the noon one (all SpiceJet) so we parted ways. They too had asked the support if it is OK. At the oversize X-Ray I told the staff about the backpack in the board bag, which created a bit of a fuss. Showed the spice jet printout, the IATA printout, the backpack. More fuss. I guess they wanted a bribe, but I played young, naive and dumb for a while Very Happy, so they gave up at the end, wrote down something in a huge notebook and let me go.
Now it gets interesting. When queuing at the gate to board I met 2 of the Austrians, who were supposed to fly 5 hours before. They went through similar procedure, ABS got cleared, they were boarding, they boarded and during pre-flight preparations were called out due to baggage issues Shocked Long tory short, airport authorities (not SpiceJet!) were not OK with loading the ABS, so they had to leave them there, two of them left behind to deal with this and then had to rebook for the afternoon flight... This gave me a bit of shock for the next 30-40 minutes, but in the end I boarded and flew with no issues with the backpack.
I don't remember anything special about the return fight from Srinagar (SpiceJet again), so it shouldn't be much of a problem, although the airport there is an experience by itself - you and your baggage get searched when you enter the airport area - dude with AK-47 pat me down (what of dudes with AK-47 in this country), then another baggage check to enter the airport, and then yet another one to clear through security.

AirIndia and JetAir flat out refused carrying airbags, although I met a few people in Gulmarg, who got there with AirIndia, one of them by bribing the X-Ray guy.

EasyJet - I have flown 3 or 4 times with EasyJet with no problems from London and Grenoble, but in Berlin Schonefeld, being staffed by punctual Germans, I had to get permission from the desk manager, which took about 30 minutes, as in older versions (2012 or 2013 and before) of the IATA guidelines there is a specific max volume of the canister and my bottle didn't have volume marked on the label. Well the woman insisted that she must be sure that my bottle isn't bigger (size matters in the end). Luckily my IATA printout was the newest (all of them had the date and version of the document on every page), where the text about canister volume was removed and she let me go. I am not really sure if the change was from January 2013 or January 2014, so better check.

Sofia Airport with Bulgaria Air - nobody has a clue. IATA guidelines got me through. It's worthless to contact customer support.

Eurostar - Didn't tell anybody anything, nobody asked me anything.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just flew Luton - Berlin Schonefeld with the ABS. Major trouble in Luton. Some oldish dude in security saw an avalanche backpack for the first time. Too bad, I was going late for the flight. Kind of almost convinced him to let me go with the IATA table, but then he saw that you need airline permission... I told him I have one and then he asked me to show him. Poo-poo... Finaly some higher up (manager) who obviously had experience with this, let me go "Airlines always give their permission anyway"...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moridinbg, Cool info thanks for the updates.

If any snowheads are flying with the new airbags from either Black Diamond (Jet Force) or the new Scott bags with 2 cylinders, please can you let us know here how you get on, I am really interested to see what happens on these new bags and the position that the airlines and security take with them, many thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moridinbg, I flew London - Madrid - Santiago at the end of July on a British Airways/Iberia codeshare flight. I think I phoned Iberia about the airbag and didn't have any problems at all with the Iberia (Madrid - Santiago) section of the trip. The guy on the phone didn't seem to know what I was talking about and then put me on hold for a while. When he returned he just said that "this will be fine" or words to the same effect but I made sure he noted the information on my booking. I packed my (ABS) cylinder and trigger in checked in luggage and used the backpack as hand luggage.

The only problem I had was Madrid "losing" my skis on the return flight - they were delivered to my house the following day. BA at London City Airport said that they're notorious for losing stuff during flight connections. I had a pretty short transfer on the return, which may have been a factor. The outward journey was fine as I had a 3 hour layover in Madrid. Also, it took me about an hour to travel between terminals on the outward flight - Madrid Airport is huuuge.

I went to Kashmir in the 90s but not to ski. Indian Airlines didn't seem to care about what was taken on the outbound flight but the return was a different story and had to leave all batteries from cameras etc. at Srinagar airport. Upon arrival at Delhi I was stunned to find them all laid out ready for collection.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kelskii, I had a very, very different story with Iberia in August - Frankfurt - Madrid - Buenos Aires. I was travelling with friends and we had two airbags. I had phoned them, but they had no clue. Wrote to their Twitter (?!), as they have no email, so that I can get some form of written response, that I can print - they told me it is OK.
In Frankfurt we showed up hours earlier, showed the IATA table (nobody had a clue what this thing is) and the Twitter (!) printout at the check in desk - they phoned several times to Madrid, didn't receive conclusive response, finally told us - take the airbags as carry on and deal with the security staff yourselves?!?! Also, they were trying hard to charge us 80 euro each for the ski/board bags, although it is clearly stated on their website, that they can substitute a unit from the normal baggage allowance for free. More calls to Madrid. At least the Frankfurt security had experience with ABS packs and let us through. Problem was, we had 9 hours connection in Madrid and planned to meet some friends during it, so we had to take the packs out of the airport and in again... Going back in they didn't let us through security. The normal staff was almost convinced from the IATA table (they too had no clue what it was?!), but then some higher up appeared from nowhere, took interest and started shouting that unless we go away, they are going to destroy it as dangerous baggage?!?!? This happens 90 minutes before take off! So back to the Iberia desk, where we had to ask for them to take our checked in baggage out of the plane to put the packs inside and hope for best. Lots of convincing the desk staff, who was telling us that he has two kids to feed and could loose his job, barely made it.
On the way back to Europe we blew the backpacks and unscrewed the valves from the canisters to show them to security....

Very bad experience with Iberia in general. Bad service, low-cost like planes - small, crammed seats with no entertainment system on 15 hour flight, bad food, incompetent staff at the airports. On the way back they lost the baggage of two of my friends, on two separate flights. I will never fly with them again.

Another friend was flying Frankfurt - Sao Paolo - Buenos Aires with TAM one day after us. He phoned TAM, received confirmation that ABS packs are OK. Went through check-in at Frankfurt fine, then at Sao Paolo (where he didn't leave the terminal), while he is inside the plane, waiting for take off for Buenos Aires he is called outside, next to the plane is his checked-in board bag, with the airbag taken out and TAM staff who tell him, that he is not allowed to take the canister on the plane, whoever told him that it's ok made a mistake, in Frankfurt they made a mistake and he has to leave it there. So, he came to BA without the canister and they started promising "We will send the canister to Buenos Aires with a cargo plane". "Not possible with a cargo plane, you will receive it in Sao Paolo on the way back" (What is he supposed to do with it, if they won't allow it on the plane back to Frankfurt?). "Actually, you can't take it in Sao Paolo, we will send it to your address".

tl;dr - Don't fly Iberia - they suck in every aspect and won't let you with an airbag. Don't fly TAM with an airbag - you risk to be taken out of the plane, even if they told you it's OK.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moridinbg, as a spaniard I must say that actually Iberia sucks Toofy Grin

Though, I've flown with them to Geneve and Munich and haven't had any issue with the ABS backpack. Last time, I even didn't reach them to let them know I was flying with this kind of equipment.

As a result of a bad expierience within Munich airport, I realized that the best choice is to pack everying in the checked-in luggage taking special care to screw the cartridge to the backback related system and saving the trigger in any pocket of the backpack. This is quite silly, since according to IATA's regulation, you should "avoid the mechanism to accidentally being activated". So with this premise, why should I be screwing the cartridge in its place? wouldn't it be safer to have it in its own box inside the checked in luggage?

(don't do that, I got the cardridge removed by safety authorities in Munich airport. Nothing to complain with the pow trigger Puzzled )

Having said this, I was passing by here because I'd like to ask you about any expierience with ABS backpacks in Japan.

I will be flying there in January with a bunch of different air carriers to make the round trip: Finnair, JAL, JAL express, Bristish Airways and Iberia.

LOL

I'm more worried about JAL policies.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski wrote:
moridinbg, Cool info thanks for the updates.

If any snowheads are flying with the new airbags from either Black Diamond (Jet Force) or the new Scott bags with 2 cylinders, please can you let us know here how you get on, I am really interested to see what happens on these new bags and the position that the airlines and security take with them, many thanks in advance.

Are the Jet Force bags actually on sale yet? All the US websites and the Black Diamond site says it is "currently unavailable" ??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
qwertyuiop7, As far as I am aware no, they are not, I saw a test the other day that said they had the approvals now, but I have not seen any "real" ones yet only the samples last season.

polinauer, Re JAL we have had a few people go to Japan with airbags, plus I have had customers buy here and return OK via JAL to Japan. Rob from InsideOut took his fine on JAL there is a write up on the thread at the start somewhere?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@livetoski,
Are you thinking about stocking the Scott airbags? I see E&W appear to have them in stock
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last season I remember reading on here that some people had problems travelling through Zurich Airport with airbags – the airport security removed the gas cartridges from baggage because they were not in the airbag. Since I will be flying in and out of Zurich several times this coming season with my Mammut bag, I emailed Mammut to see if they knew the latest position. Mammut’s airbag product manager, Michael Vollmer, replied very quickly with the following information:

We have been in contact with the airport Zürich about this.
Travelling with our airbags is possible you have to follow our instructions online:

http://www.mammut.ch/medias/sys_master/root/h72/h7e/8816481075230/FlyCartridge.pdf
http://www.mammut.ch/avalanchesafety_airbags_fliegen.html

Airport Zürich removed a lot of cartridges last season because the cartridges were not in the airbag backpack.
Often the airbag backpack was used as a carry on luggage and the cartridge was checked in with the ski luggage or normal luggage.
However you have to put the cartridge in the airbag backpack. It should not be separated.

… and here’s a link to the Zurich Airport guide for airbags that Michael sent me in a later email

http://www.zurich-airport.com/~/media/FlughafenZH/Dokumente/Passagiere_und_Besucher/Abflug_und_Ankunft/Leaflet_Avalanche_Backpack.pdf

Great customer support from Mammut, but I remain a little sceptical. Both Mammut and ZRH say that provided the cartridge is fitted into the airbag but not actually connected up to the airbag system, then it is acceptable to carry the backpack as hand luggage. However, given the questioning I’ve had at Heathrow when taking the bag as carry-on and the cartridge in the checked-in bag, I’m pretty certain you wouldn’t get though LHR with both the bag and cartridge as carry-on. I guess I’ll just have to put the whole lot into my checked-in bag and hope for the best.
[/url]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just been informed by Easyjet that it's ok to take bag and cylinder as hand luggage on Newcastle to Geneva flight, providing disconnected of course... Interesting that general consensus is check both in!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The non-Easyjet airport staff manning the hand luggage x-ray may have a very different and expensive view on that
ski holidays
Have written confirmation from both Newcastle and Geneva airport security that ok as hand luggage, but still most likely to pack it in my hold luggage...
snow conditions
@On the rocks, @Dashed, id still sooner check my abs in and take my boots on as hand luggage! i know id prefer to hire and abs than boots if my luggage got lost
ski holidays
Just a quick update on Easyjet Newcastle to Geneva flights over the New Year. Mammut bag declared in advance to Easyjet (see posts above) and in the end packed in my coffin ski bag on the basis they usually get x-rayed in front of you when you drop them off at oversized baggage, so any problems would be easier to sort. Anyway, mentioned it a check-in at Newcastle - no problems from Easyjet staff, bag dropped at oversized luggage and x-rayed, again, no issues.

Return leg from Geneva, mentioned it at check in - staff wanted to see cylinder was present but not attached, and the girl on the desk called her supervisor over - all in order and added no more than 2 mins to check-in. Bag dropped at oversized luggage and big heap of skis so didn't see mine get x-rayed, but turned up at Newcastle fine.
ski holidays
I've just been digging out info from the Mammut site and found this latest advice (pasted verbatim below), in particular the requirement that the cylinder must be in the bag. I've been told this by airlines before, it's pain because the rucksack makes ideal carry on luggage. Of course you can still take the whole thing as carry-on, according to the IATA regulations... I suspect security at most airports will have a different view of this, I don't see how the cylinder will get around the "no liquids" rule (although I did once take one through at Munich, I don't recommend it). Further on in the same doc Mammut actually advise to check the whole thing in inside your main luggage. The info is Mammut specific but I think all main brands fall under these rules.

IATA approval:
Avalanche airbags and cartridges may be transported
(Cartridge Non-Refillable 300 Bar Steel, Carbon Cartridge
Non-Refillable 300 Bar, Cartridge Refillable 207 Bar Alu)
subject to the following conditions:
– One avalanche airbag and one cartridge per person
– The pressure cartridge must be filled with Class 2.2 gas
(all Mammut/Snowpulse cartridges are filled with Class
2.2 gas)
– The pressure cartridge may not be transported separately
from the avalanche airbag. The cartridge must be transported
in the avalanche airbag compartment provided.

– It must be packed in a manner that prevents accidental
activation (cartridge must not be screwed into the airbag
system)
– The airbag must be fitted with a pressure release valve
(all Mammut/Snowpulse airbag systems are fitted with a
pressure release valve)
– The airline›s approval is required
– The avalanche airbag and cartridge may be carried in hand
baggage or as checked-in baggage.

BA are still a pain to deal with, I find Swiss and EJ very simple, just a quick email and it's done. I was on hold for ages with a BA agent, eventually she took down the details and told me to call back in 2 days. I understand that this is slightly unusual for them, and I don't expect every agent to immediately know what an airbag is, but BA could make life a lot easier if they'd just let people email in an inquiry like this then they can process it at the leisure.
snow report
Has anyone flown with the JetForce Airbag yet?
snow report
BA update... Having had a couple of fruitless phone calls, and 3rd time being kept on hold for 45 minutes before I gave up I resorted to Twitter to contact them (@British_Airways). I 'followed' them, they 'followed' me back and I was able to send a Direct Message with my booking ref and details. They got back with the usual questions to confirm the device was in line with IATA regulations, then they added it to my booking and it's all sorted.

I should have done this before I tried the phone route; I now remember this is what I ended up doing last year after similar issues.
snow report
Quick question about contacting the airline re travelling with an Avalanche Airbag system.

I have one of those new Scott Alpride Airbags (twin canister system like those fitted in a life jacket), would anyone have guidance on how to go about and what info to include asking an airline for approval to fly with one (I'm flying easyjet).

Maybe some sample draft letters people have used that I could reference. Many thanks to anyone who can help. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@ppage, Interesting. With a regular airbag EJ are actually one of the easiest airlines to fly with, you don't need a special letter, just tell them you are taking an "avalanche rescue backpack" that conforms to IATA regulations and they say "fine". That's it.

However, this one you linked to would probably fall under the regulations for "Small non-flammable gas cartridges". They are still listed as dangerous good by IATA:

Small non-flammable gas cartridges, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in
Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a lifejacket
or vest. Not more than one (1) device per passenger, and up to two (2) spare small
cartridges per passenger, not more than four (4) cartridges up to 50 mL water capacity for other
devices (see 2.3.4.2).

And you still need to inform the airline, so really they are no easier than the other type (maybe in the US you can fly with these more easily, I know the full size canisters are banned there). I guess it's up to you whether you tell them it is an "avalanche rescue backpack" or "Small non-flammable gas cartridges", both are covered by the same regulations. Whichever you choose just make sure to stick to the wording as used by IATA.

I think I called them when I flew with EJ a couple of years ago, but you could also email vie their site: http://support.easyjet.com/contactus

Also, see here for more travel guidelines: http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Air-Bags/Flying-with-avalanche-airbag
ski holidays
Many thanks for your reply sah. Am thinking it may be better to email EJ and print off the reply - then I have a printed copy of the airlines approval to show security should it be required.
snow report
All BRITISH AIRWAYS!!

Finally after weeks of getting the run around and a foreign call centre that has no clue what an avalanche pack is, I have had an email from their complaints team with a very handy number indeed.

BRITISH AIRWAYS FLIGHT SAFETY CENTRE - 02087388357

Got straight through to a lovely gent in the UK, took 2 minutes for him to grant approval, put a note on my booking and he knew straight away what ABS was (he even knew what the different packs looked like, the different brands etc) - Extremely well trained, no hassle at all and he was surprised id not been put through or been given his number before.

It seems the main call centre call him for approval and then as with all chinese whispers, things get lost in translation.

So @rob@rar, do you think its worth putting the above number on your first post to save everyone the hassle in future Toofy Grin
snow report
Agreed Paul

I have just used the same British Airways number 02087388357 and got through to a very pleasant and knowledgable chap... he makes a note on your booking reference that should grease the cogs for check in.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

BB

PS if you are going with a tour operator, then advise them and they'll add the details to the manifest.
snow report
@PaulC1984, fantastic work, I've been trying to get this from them with no success. Until now I've only ever been able to get sense out of BA by using their Twitter account, this is much better.
ski holidays
Has anyone tried Mammut's cartridge hire service in US or Canadian resorts? Mammut's website has a search facility which is not too user friendly; I would be interested to know how efficient the service is, eg availability - need to reserve or pre book etc. This would be a major consideration for me in considering a US or Canadian ski tip next year
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@On the rocks, I used their website to find a shop in Breckenridge that rented cylinders earlier this season (Nov). Emailed the shop and they confirmed they had them. I didn't book in the end because the price was eye-watering ($20 a day) and there wasn't any fresh snow forecast, but I got the impression it would be safer to book. I tried a few other likely-looking shops in the region and nobody else rented so it doesn't seem that widespread.
snow conditions
gixxerniknik wrote:
Has anyone flown with the JetForce Airbag yet?

Yes gixxerniknik I have, but then you know that don't you Toofy Grin

Flew from Manchester to Salzburg with Thomson Airways and it was OK. I had hoped to take it as hand luggage but when I contacted the airline and asked they told me it had to go in the hold luggage.
latest report
@Sn00ks, welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
Update re flying with the new Scott Alpride Airbag system. I travelled EJ Gatwick to Sofia. Wrote to EJ 2 weeks prior to flight. Very helpful and printed out correspondence should any questions arise at the check-in desk.
Packed my Airbag in my double ski bag with the both (Argon and Co2) cartridges wrapped in a small soft bag inside the zip up pouch within the backpack itself - the cartridges were not screwed in place so it can't be accidentally inflated.
The trigger pin was left in the 'fired' position so it can not be activated. As per IATA allowance for PIL's (personal inflatable life vests), I also carried a spare set (2 extra cartridges - 4 in total!!) within the backpack - left in the original packaging.
I included a copy of the highlighted IATA regulations and the 'How to travel with your Airbag' instructions inside the Airbag, and also a copy wrapped round the outside should security want to open the ski bag to look at the Airbag system.
At Gatwick I let them know at check in what I was carrying and the check-in staff had no idea what I was talking about, so I showed them the EJ email correspondence, one quick phone call later and all was fine. On the return from Sofia, I didn't even bother mentioning I had an Avalanche Rescue Backpack System, and everything arrived safely back at Gatwick.
Hope that helps anyone who may have any concerns about travelling with an extra 'spare set' of Scott Alpride cartridges Smile
ski holidays
Another BA Customer happy to use the 02087388357 Flight Security phone number. Quick and easy call during office hours.
latest report
@ppage, The issue with the Scott Alpride is that you are using the PIL regulation to carry an Avalanche Rescue Pack. The IATA 2.3 regulation (below) for Avalanche Rescue Packs, technically excludes the Alpride, based on the requirement 2 cartridges. The fact that you were carrying 2 further cartridges just compounds the deception.

Avalanche rescue backpack, one (1) per person, containing a cartridge of compressed gas in
Div. 2.2. May also be equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than
200 mg net of Div. 1.4S. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be
accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief
valves.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-provisions-table-2.3.A-dgr-56-en.pdf
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, I also spent an hour and 4 calls to the BA Customer Dis-Service desk, trying to log my ABS pack for 2 flights. In previous years I had been a higher level BA Executive Club holder, which have dedicated UK support numbers, which only used to take 10 minutes to log my ABS.

Many thanks for the Security phone number, I will use that next season Very Happy
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, It depends on how you look at it. If you had the four cartridges separate from the backpack they definitely are allowed as shown in the last two lines of the section below from the IATA 2.3.A sheet.
I am involved with these matters every day as part of my work and using the Small gas cartridge section is definitely not a deception.

Small non-flammable gas cartridges, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in
Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a lifejacket
or vest. Not more than one (1) device per passenger, and up to two (2) spare small
cartridges per passenger, not more than four (4) cartridges up to 50 mL water capacity for other
devices (see 2.3.4.2).
snow report
@PowderAdict, no problem at all, glad to be of service Very Happy
snow report
@Sarge McSarge, Maybe deception is too strong a word to use. My point is as follows:

You walk up to check-in/security, and say "Hello, I need to declare an exception under the IATA regulations, I'm carrying an Avalanche Rescue Backpack", and hand over your copy of the 2.3 table. When they look at the Avalanche Rescue Backpack section, and ask if your backpack is compliant, you have to then say "Ah, no it isn't, but it is compliant under the Personal Life Vest section". Alternatively, you have to state you are carrying multiple cartridges for use in a Personal Life Vest, and make no mention that it is actually a Avalanche Rescue Backpack.

Faced with a pedantic member of staff, you are stuck between the two exceptions in the 2.3 table.

To make it 100% clear the 2.3 regulation for Airbags need to updated to include multiple small cylinders, and while they are updating it add in battery Airbag backpacks. Then the Life Vest section needs to be updated to include Airbags.

Maybe they are considering this, as I was asked for an exact model (presumably via the Flight Safety Centre), which I have not been in the previous 5 years.
latest report
Good evening all.

Easyjet refused to allow me to check in my Snowpulse cartridge at GVA yesterday. It's now with the airport police in the hope that I can track it down when I'm passing through again in a couple of weeks.

My rucksack was presented in the approved manner, cartridge in place but not connected, safety cap on, docs to hand etc. The problem was that I had not informed Easyjet prior to the flight. Hmm, OK but they have informed me by email on two occasions that this is no longer necessary.

The point of this post is simply to suggest that anybody who also receives any communication from Easyjet stating that prior notification is not required ignores it and makes damn sure that there is a note made on their booking.

PH.
snow conditions
Quick update on having flown through Chambery today with Thomson airways. Bottom line was that all was fine, but involved slightly more faff than was ideal.

Two of us travelling, both with Mammut RAS bags correctly set up (cylinders with safety cap on stowed disconnected in the backpack) and placed in hold baggage. Thomson were aware already from the flight out (aside: their phone line was dreadful, but luckily the tour operator sorted it out for us), so we mentioned at check-in that we were carrying the bags and that they were restricted. The check-in clerk said something along the lines of "I'm sure it will be alright" and just checked everything in. On trying to go through security, though, my wife was stopped and asked to return to the check-in desks, it transpired to allow them to inspect her bag. The mildly annoying/worrying bit is that I'd already got through security without being stopped, despite them also wanting to look in my bag...not totally sure what would have happened had I carried on into the departure lounge). As it was, my wife recognised that my bag was also waiting to be opened and beckoned me over. The security official was very friendly and relaxed (possibly even slightly sheepish about the whole thing), and the inspection was done in a couple of minutes. No problem with carrying the devices, and he just wanted to visually confirm that the cylinders weren't connected to the air bag. Bags back onto the pile to be loaded, and us back to the (short) security queue. Did mean we were too late through security to get a seat in departures though Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy