Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sat Nav.... but for

Poster: A snowHead
the slopes.

Does anyone know if any product out there can replicate (to a greater or lesser extent) Sat nav functionality. eg I'm at lift x and want to get to resturant b.

Here is your route
Quickest
Longest
Avoiding or taking in certain tyes of lifts/runs

Just thinking of topic (or piste rolling eyes ) so to speak.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ansta1, Garmin do a version with a piste map IIRC. Couldn't tell you how effective it is though. There have been one or two threads about this over the last few years - perhaps some of the contributors might be able to provide more a detailed response.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sat Ski do a standalone unit and also an app for smart phones.

I tried it last year but it didn't work - may have been my phone though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the end of piste 1 turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left

Do a 360 when possible

Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any good?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71240
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why anyone wants one for skiing is beyond me.

Its much more fun with a group of you stood around a soggy piste map in a howling gale arguing which run gets you to a hot vin chaud the quickest. You get far better bamnter in the bar that evening wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis, I've already got berryski for my blackberry so I can track where I am on the mountain and record run stats I was thinking more akin to a proper satnav type affair which you can programme a start/finish and it will calculate a route and even perhaps guide you around the mountain. I don't really need one as I can plan my route and read a piste map just thinking it may be something that would be interesting to develop and have.

Another one for the wish list I guess but maybe some of the developers that lurk these pages may pick up on it and see what they can develop. Whilst not particularly straightforward i'm sure it's not that complicated I would have thought. Going forward and given enough interest from resorts it could even link into lift queue information.

Just a thought......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have an SD card with piste maps of all the French ski resorts in it. It simply fits into your sat nav and away you go. I find it very useful and would use it each time I go skiing but I now have an iPhone with apps in which do the same function. If you want o will
Sell you mine as like I said, I now hove an iPhone which does exactly this. As far as programming I. A restaurant and how to get there from a certain point I'm unsure about but you may be able to do this.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, I have all european maps on my blackberry so I'll pass on the offer wink

In terms of the programmatical side it's not that complicated as there are only so many options to get from a to b on a mountain, these would be held it a database I would assume rather than dynamically calculated but I'm no sat nav developer. It would be more complicated if you added in real time information and data but even still it's only a tree based decision.

eg. Find all routes starting from A ending at B.
list routes
Evaluate route against criteria (eg no blacks)
Display those that meet criteria.

But I'm probably over simplifying it somewhat. Off to get out my iphone developer kit and have a play....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I have an SD card with piste maps of all the French ski resorts in it

all? Really? Where did you get it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can just see it now
"You have taken the wrong lift, at the next deep area of snow, lift the bar and jump!"
Or
" I don't care vot zee machine says, zis is a cowshed, not a restuarant!"
Or halfway down a black run
"You have taken the wrong turn, turn around and go back the way you came for 300 metres"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tangowaggon, yes, the "turn around when possible" command could strike terror, couldn't it? Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, off the Internet. Paid about £70 for it IIRC. Really good bit of kit actually.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, how many resorts?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here you go pam w, this is where I got mine from. I have the full
France edition but it also covers the resorts in other countries that are linked by piste, so all the Swiss resorts of the Portes Du Soleil are on there for example.

http://www.mountaindynamics.com/en/

Covers over 125 resorts I think
snow report
Have a garmin for the mountain bike which could be used for ski touring but to be accurate enough for pistes you'd have to do the runs and save the data log by which time you'd have probably have learnt the piste!
snow report
tangowaggon, agree with your position so would have to be a either accurate or require a pragmatic user base, still think it has some merit as a potential app though...
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, thanks. Looks very interesting and they certainly have lots of resorts mapped. Could be very useful in an area you're really unfamiliar with.
latest report
An app merely to work out the quickest way between two lifts would be a good start, requiring only an average ski time between lifts and lift travel time itself. If a developer could negotiate data from electronic pass gates it wouldn't seem to be an unreasonably hard task.
snow conditions
pam w, I found it great when exploring the PDS. I didn't always had it out with me in hand but if I was ever unsure of where I was it would pin point me exactly.
latest report
okay, so there is a posible interest, anyone fancy taking it to the dragons den?

basic mapping and route planning can be done by a relatively simple database, but proper navigation would require someone to ski all of the piste and take all of the lifts to get the data required for full and complete mapping and sat nav type solution. i'm not sure anyone i know would want to spend weeks on end skiing up and down lots of mountains? Twisted Evil

time to drop a message to some of guys who responded re other ski route logging software and see if they want to do it.

just think of some of the other options..... virtual racing, meet me at(directions supplied to multiple groups or individuals) mornings or days pre planned so people can meet up. links into other socia apps to show where SH are on the mountain ( i know this can already be done to some level on google maps)

what have i started......
snow report
daehwons wrote:
At the end of piste 1 turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left

Do a 360 when possible

Smile

Damn - I was going to post that.... L'dMAO even harder when I read it though
snow conditions
Ive used satski a few times on my windows mobiles over the years with great results, giving you a full play back on the map at the end of the day, with all your runs down and lifts back up.

Im sure it has an option to navigate you to where you select on the map, never used it my self

www.satsportsgps.com/satski/

edit taken from there website,

Quote:
Satski allows users to plot routes from point A to Point B avoiding the runs you don’t like and at the same time will provide animations of the route you have chosen providing information such as, time the route will take, distance of route and more.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy