Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That's torn it

Poster: A snowHead
ACL, gone. Inocuous blue, last run before lunch, caught an outside edge, ski dug in and didn't release. Corkscrewed my knee, something went pop.

Oh well, was nice while it lasted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad Bad luck mate.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ouch!

I hope it wasn't on the first day and that you're back on the piste again soon.

You're not an orthopaedic surgeon by any chance.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ouch, hope you are ok.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its at time like this that you discover whether the advice you share is right rolling eyes . Hope you make a speedy recovery and are back on the slopes next season snowHead . Keep us posted of progress.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Poo Sad What's the expected recovery time?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, No luck, been there, got that t-shirt, loads of good advice on here if you have a search. Hope you're back next season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ouch! Rotten luck. Wish you all the best with the recovery!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John, what a shame. Really sorry, you must be very fed up. Innocuous blues, eh? My OH fell on one yesterday - he doesn't know why, maybe an edge caught, he has no idea, was going straight. fortunately skis flew off.

Are you back home now? Op?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John, Bad luck. Get the op done as soon as pos - then you'll be in shape for next year. Mrs Ski did her left knee in Feb last season and has just done two weeks telemarking in Tignes, and is bugging me to go to Hemel again to do more practise.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers all. Still in resort, happened yesterday. Got it braced up and on the diclofenac, seeing physio tomorrow once the swellings (hopefully) gone down. Got the challenge of coach/flight on Sunday. Insurance company said they'll sort out assistance, my mate is getting excited about priority security clearance. Seeing some top knee doc in London next week, see what he says re operation or not. Good job I've got a laptop with films and a good book with me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John, Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, bummer. *healing vibes*
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Insurance company said they'll sort out assistance

when my daughter in law did that she got a private ambulance to Lyon, a scheduled BA flight to Bristol (where they lived) with extra seats and an ambulance the other end too. That was instead of the TO coach and flight to Gatwick. They fixed up the whole thing. The medical advice was she needed to be in a long brace AND keep her knee up. Don't get fobbed off. They also paid for the same arrangement for her travelling companion (my son).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, Sad and you have SH
snow conditions
Dr John, unlucky Sad all the best with the recovery.
ski holidays
Dr John, bad luck, Sad hope you are back soon
ski holidays
Dont know if this will cheer you up or not, but,
My sister-in-law did her ACL skiing in Flaine in Feb 2007 ( year of bad snow )

It was operated on in March 2007, where the surgeon made a new acl out of a piece of her hamstring they removed.

After she had the operation she had to contend with a shortened hamstring and obviously a reconstructed acl.

Well she ski'd again the following Feb 2008 in La Toussuire ( couldn't quite manage a full day but ski'd well but cautiously )

2009 and 2010 she has ski'd on two trips each year and is back to skiing like her old self.

We are going twice again this year, so all is not lost. Get well soon.
ski holidays
i'm a better skier now than before i popped my ACL
the op and rehab do suck, i'm afraid
snow report
Dr John, sorry to hear about that. Best of luck with the recovery.
ski holidays
Dr John, what a sh...ame.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. The rehab is the hardest bit. You could regard it as a good thing that it has happened early this season, as it means you are that much more likely to be fixed and strong for next Very Happy
snow conditions
What a bummer, Dr John. You probably didn't need it anyway. wink Best of luck for an easy and speedy recovery.
snow conditions
Dr John, bummer. It's more than bad enough when something like that happens at all - but somehow it's even worse when it stops the skiing. Everyone about you is jolly nice and helpful - but they are skiing an you are not. The best of luck to you in getting it sorted - and I hope you are back on the slopes next season.
latest report
I walked, skied etc for 25 years with no ACL at all (horse jumped me at age 14 - my age not the age of the horse) had the op at 40 on the advice of my physio and have never looked back. All the best for the recovery and the trip home Smile
snow report
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the rehab.
snow report
the lowpoint of my ACL recovery and injury was when i was hobbling around val d'espair on crutches while also trying to cope with a bag of groceries and managed to tread one of my crutches in a frozen dog turd. everything got better after that!
snow report
Haha, I'm in ValD now, having same turd avoidance issues. After a night in my room feeling sorry for myself, I've made it out for lunch at Le Schuss, and will be milking it for all it's worth at the Alex tonight.
I'm humbled by all the kind responses, and heartened by tales of recovery and the fact my skiing career (such as it is) isn't necessarily finished. Not sure I'll be doing the tango any time soon though.
ski holidays
feel for you...did mine back in 1999 leading up to starting ann instruction course at my local dry-slope. Was gutted but once it sorted it'll probably stonger than ever. For the last fewasons i was doing lots of cycling and managed to not feel the need for extra security of a 4 strap brace when skiing. then work got in the way and without traning of strengthening did a day in Canada last February and did the ligaments on the inside of the same knee. Lesson 1: preparation is everything and skiing with jetlag and no brake is not a good idea if you've spent the preceeding 12months sat at a desk Embarassed

All the best for the recovery!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John, i was playing golf (incl walking the course) within a month or so of the injury. this was working on the (physio approved) basis that the knee is f###ed so there isn't much more you can do to make it worse. i did my left knee which takes most of the strain in my rather violent swing

after the op, you need to protect the graft so progress is a bit slower particularly for things which involve twisting. however, compared with how bad it probably feels now (and will feel immediately after the op) IME it is surprising how quickly you get back the ability to walk reasonably normally etc

good luck!
ski holidays
Dr John, sorry to hear your news and sending speedy healing wishes your way....

tor
ski holidays
Dr John, Bummer. Condolences and wishes of calm and disciplined patience during the physio. You'll be back carving like a demon in no time.
snow conditions
May you heal swiftly and fully
ski holidays
Sorry to hear about the accident - it does sound like an ACL, although only be certain with an MRI. Sympathy. snowHead are a great source of support and advice, a great community. May not feel like it but this too will pass. Take the drugs, take the advice and take the support. Sending you a good thought.
snow conditions
Dr John, Best of luck with your recovery. Horrible thing to happen.
snow conditions
Dr John, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Poor you. As mentioned before, milk it for all it's worth while you can, take care and let's hope it's a speedy recovery.
ski holidays
Oh pants, so sorry Sad Another been there done that years back and I am now back skiing and fine.

You missed a fab day out there today too Sad (am in VDI at the moment)

Where is this Alex you speak of?
snow report
ETA, I think I know there one- up by the PO. We may be popping out for a drink later, so if you get offered a sympathy drink by a random woman, that will be me Smile
ski holidays
Husband did his ACL doing motocross nearly 2 years ago and had reconstruction within a couple of months. He took a while to get back on the bike and we went skiing nearly exactly a year after and he was fine. He invested in knee braces and straps himself up before he goes out.

Luckily we have private medical insurance otherwise it would have been a very long wait on the NHS. A&E sent him home straight away and told him to come back in 2 weeks, even though it was pretty obvious what he'd done. The advice they gave at A&E was totally wrong too! Anyway, he had an MRI through the private consultant and he scheduled the reconstruction at the second meeting. He also took quite a bit of blood from around the knee which caused the swelling - my husband nearly passed out, lol!

Hope everything goes OK for you and being a Dr yourself (if you are!) you will be looked after properly I'm sure. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

The advice they gave at A&E was totally wrong too!

if injury is a twist on a weight bearing bent knee AND the knee swells up like a balloon before your very eyes, it could well be ACL/PCL, the swelling is blood. Sad
ski holidays
Dr John, crapsville! Get well soon. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy