Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Snow Update

Poster: A snowHead
Any ideas what the snow is doing out there at the moment? Flying out there this Saturday (15th Jan)

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rain and sun, fun times
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually having got out here and heard the weather has been really warm and a bit dodge, it is slushy where the sun has been and icy in patches but in fact you just get on with it! Just happy to be on the slopes really. Supposed to snow on weds. Resort is a bit quieter than expected so some areas have been deserted which is great!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it cooling down yet?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, has gotten progressively cooler over last couple of days. Sun still been out which has been nice but some runs been late in day been dreadful. Managed to find a few hidden gems though which have held up well and few people on them. The moguls have seemingly been more appealing than the hard pack. Was in the - figures today and freezing level was about 2000m. Tomorrow due snow right through to Friday and expecting poor visibility. Thursday due to get the most snow. Bit of a mixed bag really this week. Going to a min of -15 tomorrow so first day for thermals! Going to be a big shock compared to 10 degrees and a load of sunburn! Smile will be good to get some fresh snow so looking forward to getting out there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fifi, I`m heading off to Stumm in a week and a half - next door to Kaltenbach I think. Is that near you ? Can`t find any information on either Stumm or Kaltenbach.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at webcams conditions at Gerlos didn't look too bad, and the Burton Snowpark looked in ok shape. What runs are bad in the afternoon?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fredfish wrote:
Fifi, I`m heading off to Stumm in a week and a half - next door to Kaltenbach I think. Is that near you ? Can`t find any information on either Stumm or Kaltenbach.

Kaltenbach is about 17miles or 20 mins from mayrhofen. It is just along the valley I believe from zell am ziller so would maybe use that as a starting point, look up the zillertal arena which covers this whole area and go from there. Sorry have zero other info though!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ghost Dog wrote:
Looking at webcams conditions at Gerlos didn't look too bad, and the Burton Snowpark looked in ok shape. What runs are bad in the afternoon?

Conditions been great today, snow has been powdery, lots of off piste opportunities, snow cannons been on all day and bashers been out and about a bit too. Much much nicer than the slush! Skiied red 5 down from penken to horberg late today (one of our last runs) which got quite chopped up and rather mogully which to be expected being popular option home. next run home before last gondola down we opted for red 3 which had hardly been used and had a lovely quiet run down and a few dips in and out of trees Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woohoo! Arriving Wed, should make it up to Schneekar bu 2pm. Lazy afernoon then get properly stuck in on Thursday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Powder from the the top of the 150-er cable car going to raskogel and surrounding areas was fab today! Waist deep in White fluff! If you can stand the wind chill that is. Was blimmin freezing!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Fifi.

Conditions sound fab. Thought I was going to have to miss my trip next Friday due to work commitments. Found out day before yesterday that I will be able go after all. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great snow today - 15-20cm and still coming down. Boot deep on the pistes around Rastkogel. Action off-piste too -
http://youtube.com/v/Skpg_wOZXO0
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
save some for me there homercles, booked today for the 29th. first time in mayrhofen so any tips or hints ( or secret powder stashes Laughing ) welcomed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fredfish wrote:

Lucky You! Smile Kaltenbach Hochzillertal is in my opinion a very good ski area (which most Brits haven't heard of wink ). I've been going there for many years and the head of the Hochzillertal ski school there, Gerhard Wildauer, is an old friend. In fact I've just got back less than 2 weeks ago from a week there with some other Snowheads staying in Gerhard's apartment. Smile
Kaltenbach's ski slopes were linked with those of Hochfügen a few years ago, and together they now have 37 lifts and 171km of pistes, see this.
They recently installed a second new gondola Hochzillertal III that runs parallel to the original Hochzillertal I/II gondola, so with 2 gondola systems operating the base station has a very large uplift capacity.
Some tips:
On the Kaltenbach side:
1. Try the Schnee Express 8 seater chairlift - it has heated seats for a nice warm bum! Toofy Grin
2. Try the Stephan Eberharter GoldPiste run (he's a local so they got him to name it wink ) back to the gondola basestation in the valley - it has snow cannon coverage, so it operates even when the rest of the valley level may be short of snow.
3. The PostAlm at the end of the Stephan Eberharter GoldPiste has banging Austrian apres-ski - if you're after something quieter than the Wedelstube on the 1st Floor of Gerhard's SkiSchool building is very nice, see this.
4. There is a black itinerary run (Number 17) from the base of the Schnee Express that goes down to the adjacent village of Aschau, see piste map. Again this has snow cannon, and there is a shuttle bus from the end of this run that goes every 15 minutes back to the Kaltenbach gondola basestation.
5. There are several nice mountain restaurants, the Kristallhütte is worth a visit to see the decor, the igloos (I believe guests can stay in them overnight) and the big chair, but is pricy. I prefer the Platzlalm, the Zirmstadl and especially the Skihütte (see previous link to piste map).

There is a promotional video of the HochZillertal skiregion here

Obviously the Zillertal Pass also covers you for the entire valley, so a trip to the Ski-Arena area (Zell am Ziller) and Mayrhofen is also recommended - travel on the narrow gauge Zillertalbahn railway and the skibusses is included in your lift pass.

Hope this helps. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 24-01-11 20:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Alastair Pink cheers for the info, i'm staying in mayrhofen, so was looking for some quieter spots for day raids, kaltenbach got a mention in a book, as did it's neighbor Furgen (sp?) as areas where one might find some pow when other areas tracked out.

good to know there's a free village linking bus/railway. i was going to ask that at some stage. really amped for it now.

unfortunately four days notice doesn't leave too much time for fitness work......... just have to rely on natural talent i guess Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
Alistair, that`s absolutely brilliant. I`ve been searching everywhere for some hard info - but without any joy. It looks like a great area. Can`t wait to get out there. Conditions in Austria sound better than anywhere else in Europe at the moment. Have only been back at work 3 weeks but am already having a nervous breakdown. Austria here I come.
ski holidays
Alistair, I have cut and pasted your info and distributed it to all of our group. Invaluable.
snow report
Laughing Embarassed sorry fredfish, seemed to think Alastair Pink was replying to my post - egocentric devil that i am. useful info for me too - was looking at that area too as a day raid (or two) from up the road.
ski holidays
fredfish, Have you checked out the 3D lift and piste map on the first link I posted? If you click on the lift or piste number it shows you a video clip taken from that particular lift or piste - you can familiarise yourself with the lifts and pistes before you go - how cool is that!!! Cool
For orientation purposes if you go into the 3D map then rotate the direction control so that North is at about the 4 O'Clock position on the compass display you then have the Zillertal valley oriented horizontally and all the lifts and pistes are towards the top of the view (as on the other piste map view).
The Skihütte restaurant I mentioned is off to the right hand side of the Neuhüttenbahn chairlift see number 3 on the 3D map (that's on the right viewed as you are going up on the chair, ie on the left hand side as you go down the piste - there's a short ski track goes off to the restaurant). I particularly recommend the warm Sachertorte (chocolate cake)! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
What a great way to waste my penultimate day at work !
latest report
Cheers Alistair - that`s really useful. Three days to go....
ski holidays
All sounds great to me. 3 weeks to go. First time in zillertal and going there cos it looked good on internet. Nice to hear real people saying it's good too. Small question, are the ski buses as reliable as they should be? My sisters worried about not all resorts being linked by pistes and lifts. Must follow up some of the links mentioned above. Not long to go! Very Happy
ski holidays
robapplegate, The bus service is excellent as is the train service. Its Austria not the UK.
ski holidays
Corky wrote:
robapplegate, The bus service is excellent as is the train service. Its Austria not the UK.

Yep, I'd agree with that the buses were fab. Skiied over to eggalm and then dropped down to catch a bus up to the Glacier and though we didn't have any idea where to get the bus from at the bottom, we managed to find the bus stop very easily and caught one within 2 mins of arriving. daily buses to and from our accomodation to horberg gondola always on time and not chockablock either. Predictable enough we could stop for a couple of beers before heading home, always confident in the knowledge that we wouldn't miss it!

Train service also fab though feels very odd compared to the uk (haven't had to use trains when skiing before) and the fact you just hop on and hop off and have to stop the train at certain stops feels quite perculiar!
snow report
Just back last night, conditions on piste were fab, boarders reported there was still some powder to be found but mostly tracked out. Conditions on the glacier on Saturday were near perfect apart from the driving wind.
latest report
Hi Not really snow but ...... Going to Mayrhofen Feb half term (teacher!!) our 6th time. Was looking at the stream from the webcam and it looks as though there is a new gondala going up from the Eisebar in addition to the old 3 chair lift. Am I seeing things, or have they upgraded to get us all up the mountain faster from the Penkenbahn?
latest report
The 3 man Penken chair has been replaced by an 8/10 man combi chairlift and gondola. The 3 man seems to be being left for the time being but won't be running.

Penken Express always was the way forward after you can ski that first blue though Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corky and Fifi. Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to my sister and stop her worrying.
snow report
just back from a week in mayrhofen. wall to wall sun. great fun

Sunday: boarded around the penken hill - mainly around the rastenkogl area. conditions on piste were nice - well groomed packed powder. nice and grippy for carving. off piste - found some very small areas of untracked (followed a 'closed' groomer track and 100m or so of untracked between it and a piste). fairly nice consistent texture, no crust with a silky glidey sort of feeling,.

Monday: Zell am Ziller. headed as high and left (piste map) as possible. groomers doing a great job. loads of little pockets of proper powder untouched in the shade. long toe edge traverse (for a regular footer) lead to further off piste (over the area with the reservoir) large diamonds to plant your turns in.

Tuesday: Kaltenbach. headed high as possible and started crossing ridges towards Fugen. Very disappointing grooming - up to 18' discrepancies between one run of the basher and the next. off piste, only managed to find some fairly unpleasant sun crusted stuff. cover virtually non existent with soooooo much rock and bare vegetation showing it wasn't funny. retired to Zell and lapped some of the above - much more fun.

Weds, Thurs, Fri: Hintertux Glacier. we saved the best for last. Groomers were doing a fantastic job up here. at the top pistes in excellent condition (only found one area scrapped a bit and getting a tiny bit polished, but by no means icey. off piste variable - some crusted, some windblown, some powder. spent most of the time high and left - lapping a t-bar/chair combo with a high traverse off the top of the t- bar through a gap in the ridgeline rocks to a great off piste area. it was quite windy up here so within 20 to 30 minutes of putting lines in, they were filled with windblown fresh.

overall a great week, generally if you go high enough most pistes in great nick, but off piste cover ranged from none to maybe a bit thin, but good fun to be had with a bit of care. if you're heading out there the picks of my week would be Zell and the Glacier.
latest report
Quote:

Very disappointing grooming - up to 18' discrepancies between one run of the basher and the next

Shocked Like dropping off a cliff. wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Very disappointing grooming - up to 18' discrepancies between one run of the basher and the next

Shocked Like dropping off a cliff. wink

it is when you're in flat light on a board when you can't see it coming Laughing
snow report
18 feet is a cliff (to me anyway).

I won't ask about conditions yet, not back until ( April, with family this time. Going to be odd, not spending my non skiing hours in Scotties and the Eisbar.

Anyone stayed in the Tirolerhof?
snow report
ooooooops. only just noticed my ' and " dyslexia Embarassed
latest report
rogg, I was not being superior about dropping 18" - I hate those great icy edges between basher runs. Though dropping 18" is preferable to hitting an 18" wall. wink
latest report
rogg, cheers for the review. I am heading back out that way soon, always missed the glacier but may give it a go this trip!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy