Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Katschberg Rennweg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The family and I are off to Katschberg Rennweg, in Austria in 2 weeks time.
I have asked on here before but that was back when i booked in August so didnt get much of a response.
We are staying in Falksteiner Funimation.

So any advice on Katschberg? Are any of the lifts free for absolute beginers?
Most of the skiing is over the other side of the valley from our hotel. I know there is a bridge across the road but is it skiable in both directions or does it involve some walking?

I know it is a quiet place but is there at least one bar where the legendary Austrian apres is in effect?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ianbradders, I stayed in katschberg about 12 years ago. Fading memory but plenty of easy terrain and a lot of surface lifts - things might have changed as lots of T bars and Pomas have been disappearing over that period. Yes, phenomenally quiet in the evenings - was one bar that had some life and stayed open nearly all night - forget the name (of course) but remember it was round. Lost my gloves in there too so if you see any...

While there I also took in Inner Krems and Goldeck (or is it Goldegg?) the resort above Spittal.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ianbradders, We went there last January and stayed at the Falkensteiner Hotel Cristallo. We really enjoyed and couldn't fault our holiday. It is a quiet resort however we were three families all with young children wanting a quiet time so we didn't look for any proper apres.

It was a great holiday and I really enjoyed the skiing. The only reason we aren't returning is that there isn't enough skiing to go back only 12 months on. (that's my opinion, the wife and kids would love to go back)

The children and beginners on our trip spent the start of the week on Blue 2 which was directly outside our hotel. At the top of the chair for that piste was a bar with an outside kiosk where we enjoyed a few drinks at the end of each days skiing and it had a good atmosphere but not exactly 'flat out' apres - but it was ideal for families.

I can't recall any free lifts for beginners but I may be wrong.

The bridge is no problem at all. When travelling in the direction of the Tschaneck mountain it takes a minute or two on the flat to get to the bridge and once in the middle of the bridge you can ski down towards blue 2, go to the bottom get on the chair and then make your way onto the mountain. Coming in the opposite direction you can carry enough speed to get to the bridge where there is a magic carpet to take you over the incline.

We had food and drinks on the mountain in the bar off Red 6. The apple wine was fantastic. The whole area was really relaxed and not at all crowded - there was only one lift / drag that had any queue of note and that was the T-bar alongside Blue 24.

The skiing on the St Margarethen side is really good with long A1 being a must ski.

Our transfer was really straight forward on good roads, the two or three miles had the only twisty steep stretch of road.

If you any questions please ask.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you stay in Katschberg you also have the option of catching a ski bus to the nearby mountain of Grosseck/Speiereck. The ski bus should drop off at the village of St Michael from where you can get the lift up to the ski area. The bus runs hourly. Let us know how you get on in Katchsberg as I'm thinking of trying there next year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Circusthing - Can you give me some details about how the Hotel Cristallo was, such as the food, rooms, wellness area etc? Did you do this trip with Nielsen Ski and would you recommend the hotel and the whole ski experience. It's just that I saw this hotel in the Nielsen brochure and liked the sound of it especially the fact it was located right on the slopes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.bergfex.com/katschberg/

http://www.bergfex.at/katschberg/panorama/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmybog, We did the trip with Neilson and in fairness I couldn't fault it. Every expectation I had from a package holiday was met and it was effortless. The transfer was straight forward as our hotel was the only stop. When I booked the trip it was on a half board basis, however when the tickets arrived I saw that there was complementary lunch and afternoon cake buffet. This year I believe that it's billed as full board.

The food was great. I was skiing from first lift to last lift stopping only for a quick lunch and still managed to put on weight - work that one out. The breakfast was a buffet style fruit, cereals, pastries, yogurt etc along with a chef cooking the bacon, sausage and eggs etc. Lunch was a choice of pastas and soups with some salad and breads etc. The evening meal was great. Buffet style salads (huge choice), cold meats, fish and soups. The main course was chosen from a menu the evening before as was the dessert. All of which were fantastic, especially the desserts. There was a cheese buffet as well which was quite varied - and responsible for my belly.

The accommodation in the hotel was split into two sections. The old hotel and the new. We stayed in the old section. Our room consisted of a double bed and bunk beds for the kids. The room was OK and quite basic, but was clean and perfectly fine - the other two families with us had nicer rooms so i think we may have had the runt of the rooms. We didn't spend much time there and it in no way detracted from the holiday.

The wellness area was fantastic. The main indoor pool had a water gate to the outside pool. The whole wellness area had the feel of a top end spa (the spa had restrictions on the times it could be used by children, but they could use at the times we wanted to go there after skiing). There was a second swimming pool area for the children which was good fun, however it was really busy. Our kids thought the crowds of children added to the fun!

We thought it was ideal for a family holiday. The only slight negative that came from our party was that one of the adults thought that the jump from blue to red was excessive. Another member of our party on his first time on snow progressed from blue to reds quite easily and enjoyed the challenge. I thought the reds allowed you to make what you wanted of them. Plenty of room to turn your way safely down but also plenty of scope to have fun.

The slopes couldn't really be much closer. Walk out of boot room, twenty yards to a narrow access road, cross road, put skis on, ski. You can ski back to that point as well. There is a hire shop attached to the boot room and the hotel has it's own ski school which meets outside the boot room. The only complaint about the ski school was that it was split between two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon, which those going to school thought used up all of the day. Having said that they all made massive progress, loved the instructors and didn't have a bad word to say about the lessons.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Circusthing thats an excellant report. I will certainly consider this hotel for next year.It does sound ideal to me especially the food aspect!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Circusthing, thanks for your response, i am relieved about the bridge. You said you went with Nielsons, the rep didnt happen to be a blonde girl called Nikki?
What ages and levels of experience were the children in your group?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ianbradders, I think the rep was a dark haired girl, mid 20's, named Anna. Having said that she could just as easily been blonde and called Nikki. She was lovely whoever she was.

With regards to the bridge there was certainly no need to take your skis off and was quite easy.

Our group included three 5 year olds and three 7 year olds. One of each were complete beginners, one of each had done a week previously, the other two about three weeks each. They were split across two classes with two fantastic instructors, with other instructors helping out for some sessions. The kids didn't want to come off the mountain and were disgusted at my suggestion to miss a class to go for a family ski in the second half of the week. Whenever I watched they were having great fun but they also made great progress with all six skiing some steep reds by the end of the week. The kids also did some tree lines at the side of blue 2 that looked great fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, i thought you were being "funny" by putting those links up but i must apologise i have now had a good look through that website.
i have been viewing the videos of the lifts and the runs. I am really grateful as my wife (more abilty than confidence) has now viewed the runs and is happy to tackle them.
One week away, and light snow forecast this coming week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ianbradders,

No need to apologise, a lot of the time I am trying (operative word) to be funny. Sometimes I don't have a lot of time and just throw up links. Searching from an Austrian internet conection and being able to understand German sometimes helps me reach info other Brits don't easily find.

Have fun in Katschberg.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, what colour were yor gloves as there were a pair behind the bar in the Wilderer Alm bar.
Circusthing, I now regret booking the Falkensteiner Funimation but purely on location. I concur with all of your report, the Cristallo really is the perfect location. The bridge did turn out to be a problem in all honesty for my wimpy girls. If your hotel and food was as good as ours no wonder you put on weight. I chose the other one purely because it was all inclusive (ish) and the rooms were much nicer.
jimmybog, If you have begineers or just a couple of weeks experience in your party you must go and as you have probably seen on the Falkensteiner website the hotels are fantastic. If you want advice on any aspect if you want to price up as a DIY trip just ask. So quiet that you can really build the confidence.
DB, thanks, Bergfex is now in my favourites, just keep checking on Saalbach now for my trip in 4 weeks.

All, i have put a trip report up if you care to look. Thanks for yor input.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy