Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Price of a large Beer and a Spag Bol survey

Poster: A snowHead
I can happily resport that in the very nice mountain restaurant at the top of the mountain (ok hill more like) in Niederau a Spag Bol was a very reasonable €5.50. Very nice it was too with a sprinkling of parmesan. A large (500ml) beer was an equally cheap €3.30.

Friends skiing at the same time in Les Coches reported Spag Bol for €14 and €6 for a large beer.

Can anyone beat these extremes?

Pete
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Can anyone beat these extremes?

PeteMan, I'm sure there will be plenty. Two years ago in Les Manure (ok, deliberate spelling mistake - and true) I was being stung 8 euro for a surly-served large pression. There were about 20 of us so each round was coming in at 160 euro and the staff couldn't be ar53d to clear the empties or offer any pleasant service.

Austria every time. 3.30 seems the going rate although I even found one Mayrhofen establishment doing it for 3.0
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's always good to eat traditional food, isn't it? Like spag bol in France and Austria. rolling eyes

Bode Swiller, so why did you stay for more than one round? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, well, you know how it goes; end of a long day, everyone having a laugh, for the sake of research etc etc. Plus relocating 20 people would not have been easy and no g'tee of better service elsewhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really not understanding the obsession with spag bol. It's the kind of easy student food you make for yourself on a workday evening, not something you'd pay for on holiday. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I chose Spag Bol as its probably most widely offered across countries unlike Tartiflette which is obviously French.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, Lizzard, you're not being asked to eat it, just to report on the price for the sake of a general price comparison across the alps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montalbert. Large Beer €3 Vin Blanc €2 Can't find a restaurant serving Spag Bol Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, Montalbert establishments wouldn't class as mountain restaurants either NehNeh NehNeh

Anyway, I always thought it was spag bog, not spag bol Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't eat Spag Bol or drink beer but I found prices in Scheffau/SkiWelt last week to be generally reasonable. Dinner on the mountain was about €5-€8 for a main course and a drink. In the evenings I generally drink a spirit/mixer, the price of this varied from €3.30-€4.50 for a single and €8 for a double. Pretty sure the measures are a bit bigger than ours too!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, I paid 33€ for our main courses and drinks in the Brandstadl (the biggest and most expensive of the mountain restaurants in Scheffau because of the captive beginner audience) That was 11 Euro a head for a huge main course portion you guys could not finish and a large soft drink all round. Just before Christmas I paid 24 Euro for 3x main meal and drinks plus a kid's pizza in a favourite mountain restaurant in the Sportwelt Amadé area. Again huge portions with most unable to finish (except for piggy me Toofy Grin )

I don't eat Spag Bol having OD'ed on it as a student, but I observe that plenty do - it ranges in price from 6 to 9 Euro depending on where you are in the SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser and the Salzburger Superski pass areas. The portions are usually humongous though and there always seems to be some fresh parmesan to go with it.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Hurtle, Lizzard, you're not being asked to eat it, just to report on the price for the sake of a general price comparison across the alps.

Quite - if the OP wants to get a feel for prices right across the skiing world he can hardly pick a dish served only in one country can he?

Quote:

I chose Spag Bol as its probably most widely offered across countries unlike Tartiflette which is obviously French.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok not spagbol amnd beer
but Gontrans mountain Cafe Montgenevre last easter
1 liquer coffee, 1 lemonade, 1 grand marnier crepe, and 1 crepe with lemon and sugar = 11 euros
not bad i thought
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not Spag Bol, but for something even more simple... The cost of a plate of Macaroni Cheese and chips is up to around £6.50 at Cairngorm this year! Get a bottle of juice and a bit cake and you're looking at £9.50.
ski holidays
In Finland last year three quarters of a pint 10 euros and a reindeer pasta (like spag bol) 25 euros.
ski holidays
Had spag bol a few years ago in the lounge/bar at the Palace Hotel in Gstaad. It was at least £20.... I wasn't paying.
ski holidays
St Johann last week:

Spag Bol: 7.50 Euro

Large Beer: 3.30 Euro

At top station
snow conditions
Sorry, not the required survey material, but:
Tignes les Brevieres, the first restaurant on the left if you are coming down from above:
4 soft drinks = 20 euros Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I saw my oesteo yesterday and he told me he was in Lech for Christmas. A weiss beer cost 24 euros. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mouth, I hope he's better at his day job than getting a beer! He was taken for a real mug with that price, even for Lech Laughing
ski holidays
Val d 'Isere Spag Bol 8.50 to 14.40 Euro
.5l pression 6-6.50 pretty much everywhere (but I'm sure the Folie D willbe dearer)

Where's doing beer for 3 Euro in the Hoff?
snow report
Samerberg Sue, oh so that place in Brixen on the last day was significantly cheaper! As was the other mountain hut I went to on Thursday with the Crystal lot.
ski holidays
Mouth, I can only assume that was for something like the comedy Erdinger 3 litre glass?

Thuneralm in Saalbach used to do a Stiegl for E2.50, but now has it for E2.90 which is about as cheap as I've found for half litre on the slopes.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, yep as they have to compete with each other for the passing trade. Brandstadl had all the beginners and walkers, who are limited in their selection. Even the Tanzbodenalm was cheaper for the drinks than up top!
snow report
rosemary wrote:
In Finland last year three quarters of a pint 10 euros and a reindeer pasta (like spag bol) 25 euros.

Where on earth was that in Finland? When I was there (Yllas) two years ago .5L beer was 5.50 Euros. The only main dishes that cost 20 to 25 euros was Reindeer Steak.
snow conditions
Two points:
A holiday in Lech was the most expensive I've ever had (it was good though - and it was Christmas week).
The reason not to eat spag bol in the French resorts is that it is standard Brit fare and the French - call it naughty if you like, I guess it is - load the price.

Btw, I like skiing in both France and Austria. Luckily I don't like beer, so that at least keeps costs down in France. wink And, on the whole, I prefer French to Austrian food, apart from gulaschsuppe, which I love and which is usually fairly horrible in France. And I prefer being in France because I speak French and my German is almost non-existent. There we are: all my prejudices on the table, it's not just a question of my thinking, 'France is better', I don't.
ski holidays
Quote:

gulaschsuppe

I don't know what it is about gulaschsuppe. I've looked for recipes, I've asked on SHs, but I've not seen a recipe which looks like it would make soup anything ike as nice as the gulaschsuppe I remember from Austrian holidays - and I've certainly seen nothing like it round here. Maybe it's a state secret? The recipes I've seen are basically a beef stew, but the gulaschsuppe I remember enjoying was much smoother than that - more like an oxtail, I suppose. But perhaps that was not authentic?

I can't imagine why anyone would eat a spag bol in a restaurant. It's not that I'm a gourmet (today I had a plate of chips and a Weissbier Embarassed ) but it just never looks good value and it's such a pain to eat! Other kinds of pasta are fine - but spaghetti is the invention of the devil as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, thinking about it, I don't think I've seen spag bol in a restaurant round here - it's more likely to be a different kind of pasta. Tagliatelle, maybe.

Talking about pasta - Hmm. Might make a carbonara for supper. Use up the last of my Waitrose dry cured streaky bacon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,
Quote:

today I had a plate of chips and a Weissbier
I noticed that traditional French menu on another thread!
Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
jimmybog wrote:
rosemary wrote:

Where on earth was that in Finland? When I was there (Yllas) two years ago .5L beer was 5.50 Euros. The only main dishes that cost 20 to 25 euros was Reindeer Steak.

It was in Ruka/Lapland. Wine was also 12 euros per glass.
latest report
The most expensive food and drink prices I have experienced were in Norway (though I didn't eat spag bol there) - definitely more expensive than Finnish lapland. Seem to remember the accommodation being very good value though.
snow conditions
if we had this price breakdown for every available resort it would make it very easy to work out a budget and easier to pick a resort to try rather going blind not knowing what to expect pricewise, so hope more people contribute.
anyway here's my 2p worth. tignes 5cl beer 6€ - 9.50€ burger with chips 24€, spag bol 20€
lanersbach austria 5cl beer 3- 4€ burger+chips 5-8€ spag bol 10€. there is also a buffet restaurant where you pay 15€ approx and its all you can eat with good quality and choice. amazing value
ski holidays
Quote:

The cost of a plate of Macaroni Cheese and chips is up to around £6.50 at Cairngorm this year!

Oh God, Scottish cuisine. Are they still doing macaroni pies? Laughing
latest report
Quote:

macaroni pies

Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

The cost of a plate of Macaroni Cheese and chips is up to around £6.50 at Cairngorm this year!

How much is a deep fried Mars bar Puzzled
latest report
£10K Laughing Laughing

Met Snowbird took her for an Italian and then had a wedding to pay for Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Oh God, Scottish cuisine. Are they still doing macaroni pies? Laughing

Yup, theyre awesome Toofy Grin

Great Beef and game pies in the Cas bar too - around £3 IIRC Very Happy
latest report
I'll report on Zermatt shortly. Stand by with calculators by all accounts! Very Happy
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
I'll report on Zermatt shortly. Stand by with calculators by all accounts! Very Happy

Spag bol in Zematt? Hell will freeze over first. You might find it easier to report on the price of oysters and champagne.

St Anton - EUR8.5 for spag bol everywhere from the top of the mountain to the town. 5km up the road in Lech, EUR9.50; but the totty in the restaurants there are definitely of a higher class so the extra euro is entirely justified.
snow report
Just chipping in some good value stuff.

Whitefish, $6US for 4 hot drinks, all in mugs and whipped cream on top of the hot chocolates.

A billy. On our albertan hills the same is about $12CAD.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy