Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski flights booked to Munich, now where to go...?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, I have booked the cheapest flights (to Munich) I could find for myself and my 11-yo son during half-term for a long weekend skiing Thurs 24/Feb - Sun 27/Feb. Have hired a car, so really the Alps are open to wherever I want to drive to.

I was hoping to aim for Soll, certainly to get night-skiing in as well (I'm intermediate-adv, hes a fearless improving beginner able to take on easier reds).

Does anyone have any recommendations:
a) where to stay on say approx £50/night, as I'm expecting Soll to be full but having the car thats not a problem.

b) any alternative resorts, with night-skiing, maybe more certainty of snow, within 2-2.5 hrs of Munich.
There's plenty listed on http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich.html but I don't know about most of them.

c) I hear driving back to Munich on a Sunday evening is a headache, anyone know of cheeky routes to bypass to gridlock?

Thanks!

/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a) I would also recommend Soll especially for the night skiing... try the official website and search for accomadation on it. Thats what I did last year and got a superb 2 bed apartment for 70 eur a night ( not far off your budget).
b)There was a german resort that I was looking at not far from soll that apparently had one of the biggest night ski areas in Germany, I think it was called Oberaudorf, thoug i may be wrong. That will be nearer to Munich than soll but not by much (probally 1/2 an hour)
c) We drove back on a Saturday afternoon (about 4 pm)and though there was a fair bit of traffic on the motorway near the border, it didnt last long, I think Sundays will be quieter as its not normally a chngeover day.
D) We are driving to Mayrhofen for the whole of that week so here's hoping for good snow for the whole of the area!

No doubt someone will be along to recommend a french resort soon!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gilbern74, Soll's night skiing is the best by far in that generality. The resort website might throw up sufficient B&Bs etc at that kind of rate despite it being a week-end in high season - after all, they are well-used to German week-enders. Also try www.tiscover.com or, as I've recently discovered, www.booking.com has loads of Austrian resort hotels and a very simple search and booking system - literally just tap in Soll, Kirchberg, Kitzbuhel etc and it'll chuck up offers. Kirchberg is an easier place to get a room by the way.

The cheekiest route to bypass traffic is to get the train both ways and rely on ski bus and occasional taxi. The train journey is easy - www.bahn.de - Airport to Ostbahnhof, then to Kufstein and grab a taxi. Get the wrong weather on the sunday evening and you could be toast. It's busy enough in good conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Night skings a bit meh, do it as a novelty but don't build a holiday round it.

Kitzbules\westendorf\brixam your nearest I suppose from Munich
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Night skings a bit meh

Disagree (and I can spell so I win) but, in their case, they've got friday, saturday and part of sunday so a night stretches the week-end and it is a nice experience (can be effin cold though).

Soll is physically the nearest to Munich and a good choice. V nice public swim/sauna set up too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oberaudorf is only a smaller area (just before Kufstein) and can't be compared with areas like the SkiWelt. Söll sounds fine (Scheffau or Ellmau would do too). Any of the resorts on the Brixental side (Westendorf, Hopfgarten up to Kitzbühel) would be great too and are all more or less the same distance from Munich (give or take the odd quarter of an hour's drive).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could always stay in Germany.

I went during Feb half term last year and crowds were never a problem. Plus the prices were very reasonable.

Definitely worth a look for you and your boy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62376&highlight=germany
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Soll was pretty much my first choice all along and tht's been backed up with the comments above.

The great thing with the hire car, rather than the train, is that all the skiwelt resorts are open to us to roam if there is no accomodation in Soll. My budget is fairly flexible so I expect I'll find something. Most short-stays (<7 days) are available the week or two before so I'll wait until then to look for a place to stay.

Disagree about the "Night skings a bit meh.." too. Not when I have an 11-yo keep to ski as much as possible! If I was with my mates then I wouldn't even consider night-skiing, but for the lad its great, and means he'll get totally knackered, fall asleep quickly and then I can sneak out for a beverage Toofy Grin

I still think the traffic back towards Munich will be a problem on the Sunday but I'll make allowances and leave in plenty of time, or maybe even leave early sunday morning, and head back to a german resort like those Mike Pow has recommended and have Sunday there. Good options to ponder!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gilbern74, give me a buzz via PM closer to your departure and I'll update as to the state of the pistes in the German areas close to your route. Currently they are all suffering quite badly. I also know several ways to get round the traffic chaos, especially if you have bought a Sat-Nav with you.

Söll may be full because Half Term times elsewhere (not in Germany or Austria though), but take a look at Hopfgarten, Westerndorf and Brixen on the south side of the Wilder Kaiser or maybe Itter (just before Söll on the B170 just above Wörgl) or Going (bit further on from Ellmau). They are not as well known in the Tour Operator's brochures and depend more on independent trade. All of them have Tourist Information Offices with accommodation services as well as direct links into the SkiWelt system.

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hold off on the valuble advice to check the snow conditions on anything low. Why not? Should be ok to get in most places.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy