Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backcountry touring setup

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Could anyone suggest a set-up for backcountry touring in a mixture of snow conditions (mostly in Scotland, with a little travel worldwide).

I am new to xc having spent many years alpine skiing. I am not looking for a telemark setup, I intend to ski a great deal of untouched snow in backcountry, and am looking for something that can climb well and be comfortable for long tours, yet be easily controlled coming down.

Also, Would you suggest the Voile hardwire binding (or any other) for my use?

Thanks

Lewis
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I am new to xc having spent many years alpine skiing

Are you asking for touring (using skins to get up, so you can ski down), or cross-country (xc) - usually on flatter terrain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scotlandlewis - welcome to snowHead
Don't quite understand your question - you say you're not after a tele setup, but the Voile hardwires are tele bindings Puzzled

If you're after an AT (alpine touring) rig, you can use bog standard alpine skis with a touring binding, but if you're going to focus on longer tours it's worth getting lighter gear and going for a lighter touring-specific ski.

Marker bindings seem to be flavour of the month....
Dukes (2600gram) seem to be more piste orientated with the option for touring.
Otherwise the F10/F12 Tour (1685gram) for a more touring orientated setup

If you ARE after tele I'd suggest the Kahru 7TM Tour binding, as it has touring mode (hinges in front of the boot) and is releasable - very important in the backcountry as they will/should release if avalanched!!! (normal tele bindings either don't release or will be held by a runaway leash if the boot does come out)

Of course - if it's a new tele setup: NTN may be the way to go Confused

FWIW my touring setup is Hagan Heat skis with Fristchi Freeride bindings and Scarpa Denali XT boots, and my tele setup is Atomic BetaRide skis with 7TM bindings & Scarpa T2s

<edit> Just re-reading your post - presumably you're after a cross-country type touring setup: not much idea about these, but this site might help http://www.crosscountryskis.co.uk/choosing.asp
</edit>
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just realised I've still got 2 (tatty) sets of skis - no bindings (which I used to use for tele-touring) up in the loft you could have ... they'll probably go in a skip otherwise Toofy Grin

197 Tua Montets (85-65-75)
195 Asnes Mountain Extreme (70-56-60)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffers, That would be brilliant, yes please- we cant have them go to waste!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
geoffers wrote:
Marker bindings seem to be flavour of the month....

Are they? I've seen a lot of advertising for them, are they any better than Freerides for example? I know when the Marker AT bindings first came out they were pretty heavy and you had to step out to swtich modes from AT to DH, is that no longer the case? Don't get me wrong, I think a bit of competition in the market is a good thing. Until Marker started making them it was pretty much just Fritschi or Dynafit (Naxo didn't seem to catch on and appear to be no more, is that right?).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Are they?

No. There have been quite a few cases of the plastic snapping at the toe pivot on the new F12.

IMHO, Freeride Pros, or Eagles (if you're light) are preferable if you're after an alround set up. Dynafits still rule supreme for pure touring.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/climbing_gear_discussion/fritschi_vs_marker/106689940#a_106703796
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
galpinos wrote:
Quote:

Are they?

No. There have been quite a few cases of the plastic snapping at the toe pivot on the new F12.

You got any evidence of that?

Can't make a statement like that and not back it up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have bought XC backcountry kit this year and are LOVING the Fischer E109s with Salomon XADV Raid bindings.

Mainly for use in Scotland, Southern England when conditions allow (Dartmoor) and Scandinavia.

Suitable for rolling terrain, but binding strong enough for reasonable downhill control (we don't telemark turn). Have skins we can use, but light enough with the right wax for moderate uphills we have found so far.

These are currently my favourite pair of skis (over my track Fischer race XCs and my new Alpine Fischer Koas!) We bought from Braemar Mountain Sports who also do AT kit if you need advice on what will be best for you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

galpinos wrote:
Quote:

Are they?

You got any evidence of that?

Can't make a statement like that and not back it up.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3127988

Didn't someone else on here also break one?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the input guys.

What are your opinions on this set-up?

The Salomon X-ADV 69, with the X-ADV Raid Bindings, and the XADV 6 boot.

Is this a good quality set up? and would be good for what I had in mind?

Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski Touring and back country can mean many things. Looks to me like you are talking about XC backcountry (aka backcountry nordic) touring while many others are talking about Alpine Touring. (e.g. the marker binding comments)

see explanations / definitions here .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_touring

What are you aiming to do i.e. where are you looking to tour to?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you sure you want to go with a XC set-up ?
They aren't exactly good for going down-hill. Don't know a lot about it, but I'd suspect they aren't a lot of good off a prepared track.
From your original post, a touring / freeride set-up might be more appropriate.
Something like a randonee set-up with Dynafit bindings
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I read the OP to mean exactly what DB says - that he is talking about nordic backcountry. This is exactly what we love - ideal for rolling hills / fells. Monadliaths, Glen Feshie, Rothiemurchus, Scandinavia. If this is the case then yes, he DOES want a XC set up!

Depending on the width you get it may or may not fit in prepared tracks. Ours don't - but we have other race XC for this and wanted wider for greater flotation on powder from our backcountry nordic skis which are for exploring the wild places away from the piste and track.

As mentioned before - we bought Fischer E109s with a boot that's a halfway house between a plastic and a soft leather boot. It is surprisingly substantial. scotlandlewis - the set up you describe looks good. What we have is a little more substantial, a tad heavier, but then bear in mind that Mr Flipper does intend to ski across Greenland with them. So you may not quite need the E109. Again - our boots are the model up from the ones you're looking at which makes them higher and with more support at the heel. Depends how far you want to push your limits and how good a skier you are.

Quote:
They aren't exactly good for going down-hill.
That depends how good your technique is and the terrain you are on. Sure - if you want to do steep downhill you are better on alpine touring kit. But if you are "touring" in the Nordic sense of the word (rolling rather than steep mountainous terrain) then a BC set-up is idea.

Quote:
Don't know a lot about it, but I'd suspect they aren't a lot of good off a prepared track.
Backcountry skis are DESIGNED to be good off a prepared track. That's what they are for.

Track / Race XC skis are for tracks (Alps, Scandinavia, US)
Backcountry metal edged are for off track rolling terrain. Wider better on powder and for downhills but will have less kick and glide on the flat. (Scandinavian fells and hut to hut trips, parts of Scotland - anywhere with moderate gradient depending how good your technique is.)
Alpine touring kit is for steep ups and downs (Scotland and the Alps.)
snow report
Fascinating, didn't even know there were backcountry XC skis ! (I did say I didn't know much about it.)
Sounds like OP needs this, or a lightweight randonee set-up, depending on how steep terrain he wants to travel.
latest report
If Nordic backcountry is the area of interest then this might (or might not) be helpful.
snow report
Alan McGregor, Neither did we until a couple of years when we saw folk in Sweden out on them doing a multi day hut to hut trip and we both went I WANT TO DO THAT! Very Happy

A bit of research and some help from the chaps at Braemar Mountain Sports and we were all set.

Might progress to AT kit at some stage - but if I'm gonna go down stuff steep enough to need fixed heel and plastic boots - I'd rather go up in a chair lift. Embarassed Rolling hills with undulating terrain is far more pleasant and less exhausting!
snow conditions
flipperthesnowholedigger wrote:
but if I'm gonna go down stuff steep enough to need fixed heel and plastic boots - I'd rather go up in a chair lift. Embarassed Rolling hills with undulating terrain is far more pleasant and less exhausting!

Seems to be that xc touring has expanded closing the gap between that and AT - but why mess around with A when you have have double D? Wink
Have fun.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy