Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skis should I buy??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm new to Snowheads, and wondered if anybody could give me some buying advice. I am looking to buy a new pair of skis, as have I recently sold my K2 Disorderlys. These were basically an impulse-buy a couple of years ago, as E-B had a sale on. Not sure what I was expecting out of them, but they were really too park-orientated for me. Didn't handle to well on piste. So I am basically looking for a ski to do it all. I enjoy the park, but don't want a park/pipe dedicated ski. I like charging down a piste, and I also like to head off-piste for the deeper powder. 5 Ft 10, 69kg low end advanced.

I have a few I've been looking at (all 2011):

Atomic Access: Seems pretty cool, gets a lot of good reviews online. Pretty fat 100mm underfoot. In the "Freeride" category, although not sure I'd class myself as a Freerider? Limited use in park for kickers I imagine?
Line Blend: Sounds like another good option, pretty versatile, not sure about performance on piste? Not too impressed with the graphics either!
Salomon Lord: Ski of the Year a couple of years ago, seems pretty capable of doing it all. Shame about the semi-twin, full would have been better. But pretty good all rounder I think?
Scott Punisher (regular): Again, gets good reviews online/youtube etc, punky graphics though.

I know that really there is no "one-ski quiver", with trade off's blah blah, but I'd appreciate any comments particularly if anyone has used/owns any of the above. Leaning slightly towards the Access and maybe the Lord.

Cheers,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How do you like to ski - charging/slowly/big gs carves/short pivot turns? Do you like stiff skis or softer playful skis? What have you liked and disliked before?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. Man I hate these sort of questions haha, just love it all. Probably prefer slightly softer skis, I enjoy charging/sharp turns one run, then carving turns the next! Sorry I'm not being very helpful here.. just wondered if anyone had used any of the above and found any problems?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr_Jolly_Olly, really sounds like you need to get out and demo all the skis on your list. Many shops in resort or from the UK will allow you to demo and those who charge for it will normally take it of the price of the skis if you buy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The lord and the blend sound the best for you. Maybe think about the Armada ARV, bit thicker than your average ski and not too parky. I have a pair from 08/09 and they're still going strong, but yeah if you can try and demo them all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want some handling on the groomers keep the waist of the ski under 80mm in width or there abouts. A 17 meter turning ski is good all mountain and I would suggest Atomic Crimson Nomads. They're soft and work well in the crud too! Hope this helps
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would try the K2 Kung Fujas if i were you. Ski of the year last year!! Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I put up a post looking at a similar range of skis to you, went to Milton Keynes to try a few, here's a brief review of the ones I tried:

Treacle wrote:

Salomon Shogun 182 - This was the stiffest out of the ski's I tested and it felt smooth and fast, but didn't overly excite me if I'm honest as it didn't seem particularly lively/playfull or fast edge to edge. The snowdome probably wasn't the best place to test this ski as it felt like it was begging for bigger open slopes so I could really open it up, from the feel of it I can imagine this ski would be good at speed and it did take an edge really nicely. I could see this being good for ripping around the resort and decent off piste but probably not really one for the park or messing around. It busted through the cruddy indoor snow really well.

K2 Kung Fujas 179 - This was quite a contrast to the shogun, seemed alot heavier on the feet as soon as I put them on and a little more sticky on the crappy indoor snow that the shogun pushed through OK (maybe the wax job?). However it was alot more playfull and faster edge to edge, better in tighter turns than the Salomon. Its really buttery soft by comparison and when I rocked back and forth it went into tail and nose presses without me even really trying, it was also noticeably better switch. Seemed to take an edge reasonably well without the rocker overly effecting it, but I didn't feel it had quite the grip of the salomon. I can't really see this being as good when pushed hard at speed (on or off piste) as the shogun, but it is easy turning and fun and would be good in the park/jibbing and fun in the trees etc. The bigger size would probably feel better for charging and offpiste, but getting a bit big to handle in the park, for me the gap between the 179 and 189 seems far too much and I would want something in the middle, the 189 seems huge in store, somehow longer than other ski's of similar size?! These are very easy to ski and thats probably why its got such good review from a range of testers, for me though I don't feel it would push me hard enough.

Atomic Access 181 This ski I felt was a bit lighter underfoot and not quite as soft as the fujas but not that much stiffer. Despite not being super pronounced I could really feel the rocker alot more on this one and it felt alot more like a proper rockered pow ski than the others, which isn't really ideal in what I'm looking for as it tended to wash out a bit in turns and not take a great edge, a similar feeling to what I've had ridding hellbents but obviously not as pronounced. I think I would have been happier on the larger 191 length in order to have more effective edge. It was fairly easy to initiate turns and swing weight felt good, not bad switch, but I was just a bit disapointed with the grip, in honesty I was expecting a little more from this ski. I could however see it going well in powder, especially in the larger size.

Thread is here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68471

Out of those I'd say the Fujas would be a good choice for you as you say you prefer a softer ski, for me they were a little too soft but I'm 6'2" 80kg's and prefer stiffer ski's anyway. They get good reviews and I can see why. They had the Line Blend in the shop which I really wanted to try but they didn't have a demo ski at the time Sad the blend feels slightly stiffer than the fujas in the shop, would like to test on the slopes.

I ended up buying a set of last years Rossignol S3's, simply because they came up for sale really cheap! Again they get good reviews from lots of people for all round park/piste/offpiste combo and are worth considering. I haven't tried mine out yet but off to Tignes on Sunday so will let you know what I think!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snotrekie wrote:
If you want some handling on the groomers keep the waist of the ski under 80mm in width or there abouts. A 17 meter turning ski is good all mountain and I would suggest Atomic Crimson Nomads. They're soft and work well in the crud too! Hope this helps

Or just buy some tortionally stiff enough to keep the edge hold...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Couldn't recommend the Sal Tornado ti's enough. 79 underfoot and big enough to float in the softies. I found them MUCH more fun and could charge them harder than the Lords for an all mountain ski I thats what I went for this year.

Si
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dynastar Sultan 85 is definitely worth a look too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saloman Tornado ti
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree about Sultans. I have previous model - dynastar legends 8000 for two years now.
Good everywhere except race track with pure ice. Playfull in freesking, bumps, park, very good carvers, when snow is soft or moderate icy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you like powder then just go for something fat, the Atomics with 100mm sounds nice. I've never even seen them but 100mm will be great in powder. Might take some getting used to on piste though, especialy with the rocker too...

I *think* the Lords are similar to the Gun from a couple of years ago, if so they should be pretty nice in the powder too.

To be honest I don't buy skis until I've demoed them and I ignore pretty much everything the manufacturers say - I go by size, weight and what they guy(s) in the shop say, then I decide for myself. If you're going for something seriously fatter than you are used to I'd try them out for a day or 2 before committing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go out there and hire some. You can then change the ski every day until you find what you want. You might then just hire as the cost of transporting skis by air today is nearly the same as hiring them.
latest report
Quote:

You might then just hire as the cost of transporting skis by air today is nearly the same as hiring them.

Puzzled Easyjet is £18.50 each way...
snow conditions
Yea, that's true, and I have taken two pair out last year free with Swiss Air ...... but .... you can't always fly with EasyJet or Swiss Air. Cryain Air cost a fortune to take skis, ..with a weight limit, others, when you add up the return journey get a bit pricey. Take that from the cost of the hire, + the fact that you don't have to lug the things around, and you can get to try loads of different skis, and you don't have to service them ........... . I've got so may pairs of skis I could start a hire shop but I am seriously considering hiring if I get to fly with certain carriers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy