Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Police! Stop!

Poster: A snowHead
During New Year week in LaThuile we were followed down a red (no18) by two police men skiing in uniform (well ski jackets with POLITZI on the back). Nice job I thought.

From a lift going back up we spotted a perfectly groomed red run and decided to come back down that way. When we got to the interesting bit though it was roped off as closed, so went the alternative route and then back up the lift, from were we could see people (inc instructors) coming down the closed run. We came back down the adjacent black and people were still skiing the closed red. So up again and this time under the rope. 100 yards on... out steps a policeman and stops us! We got a verbal telling off and sent (off piste-ish) across to the black.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes apparently they'd cornered a man with 2 fingers and red braces along with someone dressed in a soiled monkey suit wearing a bicorn hat who'd escaped from La Rosiere. The American, who was apparently chasing them whilst screaming revanche, revanche, is still at large, though the public were advised that he was more a menace to himself than others.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eve Rest, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Puzzled must be an in joke.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, Quite an old one . . . and there may yet be a punch-line Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've seen police on the slopes too but only in Italy, Tonale and Champoluc. I'm sure it's a real bum posting. Madeye-Smiley

BTW and not to be pedantic are you sure it wasnt POLIZIA ? Politzi is the woman who does hotel inspector isn't it?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I saw Gendarmes on the piste in Avoriaz last week, decided to take another lift...just in case!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have it on good authority from a friend of mine who is in the French Police, that the local Gendarmerie have been requested by the French tourist board to be more visible and pro-active dans la piste.

The idea behind this is to provide a visible reassurance to tourists
To discourage theft of ski's and anything else
To discourage drunk skiing
To disuade irrisponsible/reckless skiing
and in particular to target snowboarders who wear their hair like 1970's hippies with baggy off yer back bottom stupid trousers who sit in the middle of the piste smoking dope and say things like "That kicker was awsome dude"

In particular they have been specifically tasked to issue on the spot fines to anyone who uses the word "dude" and who has a Burton jacket.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strange goings on. Must say that those pistes were pretty quiet the week before Very Happy

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, nice snowHead Which run is that? Fontain Froid?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

baggy off yer back bottom stupid trousers

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sanman,
Quote:

I'm sure it's a real bum posting.

On Sundays episode of Zen the detective said he wanted to further his career in Rome not end up in the Alps Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chasseur, No that is over in La Thuile and is either red 18 or black 5. Can't really remember as you can see I am struggling to keep up
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Last one to the bar buys the beers wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah that rings a bell! In Les Duex Alpes two years ago, a friend an I took an ungroomed powder route back to the village (not exactly off piste just not chartered). At the bottom I purposely collapsed into a pile of snow for comedy value as I was exhausted. At this point when I looked up we realised that there were two guys in matching dark blue suits observing us from where we'd just come from, and they must have come down the same route.... We wondered who they were!! They must have thought I was a bit odd just randomly collapsing?!
snow conditions
Quote:

and in particular to target snowboarders who wear their hair like 1970's hippies with baggy off yer back bottom stupid trousers who sit in the middle of the piste smoking dope and say things like "That kicker was awsome dude"

I was off-piste the other day and spotted something lying in the snow. Thought it was a pair of goggles but turned out to be a small bag of grass! Not my thing at all, but not wishing to leave the plastic bag lying on the mountain, I took it down with me. It did get me thinking that, if the gendarmes were around (they do appear on the slopes here once or twice every season) then "I found it" might not be the best line I could come up with.
ski holidays
Quote:

"I found it" might not be the best line I could come up with.

brilliant Very Happy

Reminds me of the time in Turkey about five years ago - I was out on the sea on a (hired) jetski - i saw a bale of something bobbing in the waves - i didn't go any nearer! No idea what it was, but i decided not to care. We've all seen Midnight Express Shocked
ski holidays
[quote="stevomcd"]
Quote:
I was off-piste the other day and spotted something lying in the snow. Thought it was a pair of goggles but turned out to be a small bag of grass!

Was that after you'd sampled the contents.....?
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, Chattonmill, etc, it's worth bearing in mind that the Gendarmerie provide rescue cover in, at least some, French resorts - the PGHM (Peloton de Gendarmerie de Haute Montagne), in Chamonix and Montgenevre, certainly

I remember being shocked in Pralognan la Vanoise back in the '80s to see a bunch of "riot police" in what was then a very small village (not been back, so can't comment about it now); until we realised they were the mountain rescue team - they were dressed in what looked like CRS uniforms.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Chasseur, No that is over in La Thuile and is either red 18 or black 5. Can't really remember as you can see I am struggling to keep up

I'd say red18 just before it narrows and goes around the corner to the lift. Thats about where we first saw the police. It could be the start of the black5 but doesn't look steep enough. It wasn't much busier new year week... but had less new snow Sad
snow report
Yellow Pyranha, The mountain rescue service everywhere that I have been in Italy is provided by the Guardia di Finanza.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy