Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying euros - hold fire?

Poster: A snowHead
Just noticed that the euro is back towards the 1.17mark. Is it worth holding out for another week or are they peaking at the moment Smile

Thanks,
David
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking at the general news it seems possible that if you can hold out for a couple of months you will need a wheelbarrow

Sorry. Flippant remark and will probably unleash the usual deluge of knowledgeable people telling me the UK economy is a basket case etc.

Isn't the real answer that, if we knew what the Euro was going to do, we would all be living on our own private island? (Or our own ski lodge in Aspen)

Cheers Tim
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1.17? Seems to be at 1.20 at the moment, I dealt on Friday at 1.20 net of charges for my Chalet purchase, when I put in the order my broker thought I was nuts(about 3 weeks ago) as I stipulated a 1.20 buy order!

http://uk.moneycentral.msn.com/investor/quotes/quotes.aspx?Symbol=/EURGBP
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you hold out for an extra 1¢ to the £1, you'd still need to change about £300 to get enough extra € to buy 1 extra beer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got a few last minute euros to top up at the Post Office yesterday. The rate? 1.11 - ouch. No commission, but still...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BenW, that seems quite poor Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur wrote:
BenW, that seems quite poor Puzzled

Yep, hence the post, I saw 1.11 on Friday and today when i looked on the Post Office website, its flagging 1.17 suggesting a reasonable lift. I haven't seen 1.20 anywhere but will hold out if its coming in days not months Smile

Cheers
David
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's 1.11 if you go into the post office. But if you order online to have it delivered to the same branch as I did yesterday you get 1.17!!!!!
All a bit silly as the branch would have had to order the currency in anyway Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timg60, Nice tip, thanks mate!!

It's for orders between £400 and £2500, which suited me fine and I just bought for my long trip next week. I got 1.1713 which is very nice for a tourist transaction.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skinutter, I have bought today as I think it's peaked for a short while. The Portuguese bond sale went through at rates lower than expected thanks to big support from the ECB. The only thing likely to dramatically change the £/€ would be a Bank of England rate rise but I feel the market is pricing this out, certainly for this month.

After tomorrow's rate announcement the pound will start a slow fall back to 1.185.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I forgot, if you are near London, Holidayloverxx recommended Thomas Exchange Group couple of days ago. They are selling at 1.185 today.

I won't be near there until next week, unfortunately.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i got 1.17 yesterday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good tips, thanks everyone
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just called in TESCO to get some euros as I'd seen their online exchange rate was 1.175. When I got to the store (as I had cash that wasn't in my bank) The exchange rate was 1.16. I expected it might be slightly less but when I asked why it was, expecting an answer somewhere along the lines of I'm paying for the guy to sit on his backside all day, I was told it was because each TESCO store offers a local rate???? and the rate online was an average national rate. So basically they see how much other places are charging in the area and adjust theirs accordingly. Surely this isn't what TESCO are about? So basically I was paying a tenner more for my euros because of where I live. Someone else in the country could be getting theirs for 1.18 or so. You wouldn't pay ten pence more for your beans because of where you live!!!! Annoyed me so much I walked out and swore never to visit TESCO again!!!!!
ski holidays
garethjomo wrote:
You wouldn't pay ten pence more for your beans because of where you live!!!!

Oh yes you do. Tesco do vary price of certain items depending on geographical location and type of store.
snow report
Just ordered on-line via the Post Office site 1.1713 delivered to local post office, or if over £ 500 ordered delivered free to home
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, they are localised products usually. Not a tin of beans! And not I wouldn't have thought Euros! Unless was an express store.
snow report
When I worked in London I always got my currency from Thomas Exchange Global - in Victoria St, Westminster and The Strand. Currently offering 1.188. Good for all other currencies too, and they always have loads in stock
snow conditions
garethjomo, Check it out, the price of beans will vary within similarly sized Tesco stores dependent on geographical location.
ski holidays
Ok I will. Starting tomorrow I am going to drive to 18 different TESCO stores around the country! If they are the same I will demand my Euros at a rate of 1.175 wink
snow conditions
I'm due in to get mine tomorrow - lets hope for a sudden push towards a decent exchange rate at about 9am tomorrow Laughing
ski holidays
I was tripped up by the difference by online and counter rates from Post Office. Fully expected to get the 1.17 shown on the website but was offered 1.14, apparently for the convenience of being able to go in and pick up. Considred traipsing around to find better but realised would probably only save 15 euros on £500 so didn't bother.
Conversly got 1.1985 yesterday for a 15000 Euro business transfer which is the best I've got for a fair few months now
snow report
philipb, That's what I was expecting TESCO to say. The convenience of poppong in. But apparently not!
snow conditions
When did exchanging money become buying a product?
latest report
bar shaker, they are buying something in at a price then selling it on at a profit. Surely that's the definition of a product.
snow report
I discovered the online/over the counter difference with Post Office travel money last month and thought that Tesco might do the same. In the end, I ordered online with Tesco as there was no cash advance fee when using my Tesco credit card. I think it's not too bad a rate and because I ordered £500 it was delivered free the next day.
snow report
try coop travel agents. The one in my hometown, Lymington, always betters the PO by .2, and gives a higher rate for over E. 500
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got mine delivered yesteday from bestforeignexchange.com (part of Thomas Exchange Global). Rate worked out to 1.189 with the £5 delivery charge. Second time I have used this company without any problems and money was received the following day.
latest report
Headline rate down to 1.186 at CoB.

Glad I bought yesterday.

garethjomo, They aren't.

They are exchanging money for a mark up on the rate that day. FX is easier to see as a 'product' but banking is a service industry and my current account, my life insurance and my savings are not 'products'. They are services, provided by retail banking staff, for which I pay a service fee.

Are banks regulated by the Financial Products Authority?

Is a taxi ride a product? Will my solicitors start selling 'legal products' which defend me in court?

Products are produced by farmers and factories. Products are the result of processes that change raw materials in to being a finished product.
latest report
I got 1.154 today at First Choice - they weren't going to offer me that much until I told them that's what I could get at the Post Office and they always maintain they won't let the local post office beat them. It can therefore be worth haggling in some places to get better rates.
ski holidays
jimmybog, I'm glad it worked out. Personally I would be a little wary about buying money and having it sent through the post as cash ever since reading on SH's about someone that had ordered and the company went bust before the funds were sent.
snow report
Is it just me that orders at Thomas cook online and picks up at the airport, order when you think the rate is good and if it is better when you pick up, you get the better rate. Personally I could not be arsed shopping about for what only amounts to the price of a pint on your average holiday spending money. Now if it was for a larger transaction, fair enough.
snow report
bar shaker, I disagree. http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-the-best-deal/shopping-around/ten-best-financial-products-1302.aspx But, anyway, what's your point?
ski holidays
garethjomo,

Reading your link I was wondering were I could get an ISA paying 5.5%, then I read the headline:

The Ten Best Financial Products

Published 19 April 2007

rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
I think those days are long gone!!!
snow report
Spanish debt sale went well today which has strengthened the euro..sadly
ski holidays
Frosty, Yes and the BoE did not raise rates. I don't think either were in doubt. Also German Q4 growth was very good.

All bad news for British tourists.
latest report
garethjomo, That others also think running a cash ISA account for you is a product, rather than a service, does not make you or them right.

I reserve the same disdain for people who go into shops or bars and say "Can I get..."

The American dumbing down of our language is something to be resisted.
snow report
bar shaker, I don't think either of us are right or wrong? A disdain for me because I call financial things products?? You are easily offended. Apologies!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy