Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux July 24th Basi 2 Course?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I`m posting on behalf of my son who is looking to book on the above BASI Course.

I have searched the previous posts for hintertux info and I`m posting to ask if anyone else is doing the above course and looking for any tips on where to stay and how to get there?

We are in the midlands and I think easyjet fly from Liverpool to Innsbruck - is it possible to sort a transfer from Innsbruck to Hintertux on the Internet?

I have also contacted Redpoint to see if they are doing any packages but any info from anybody who has done a Basi course there would be great also would be good to hear from anyone else who is doing this course on these dates.

We have recently been to El Tarter and once I`ve finished all my laundry I am hoping to write a mini review.

Thanks for reading

Paul, on behalf of Sam
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulmo101, taxi or bus from airport to train station. Train to Jenbach, change train to Mayrhofen and then it's the Post Bus up to Hintertux. Maybe 2 hours ish.

Places to stay... www.tux.at (has a good map showing locations) - although best if you can find out where others on the course are staying. Lanersbach & Vorderlanersbach have more life than Hintertux.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulmo101, My wife Kitty did her BASI L2 in Tux last Summer, flew to Munich, Redpoint organised transfers, Hotel Klausnerhoff and lift passes.
Klausnerhoff is where the lectures took place in the evening, very convienient and super comfortable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, yep, Klausnerhof has recently been beautifully refurbed. It was a bit of a farmhouse when I stayed there many years ago. Ah, jumpers for goalposts...

paulmo101, Just below it is a really decent B&B called the Jorgler if that better suits the budget.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I stayed in a little place just down from the Klausernerhof, which had a pretty cheap single room. I found it on the tourist office website.

It's easy to get a train transfer from Munich.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi

Big thanks for the replies.

I have contacted Redpoint but they are not listing any summer stuff until around Feb.

Also contacted http://www.skiingaustria.co.uk/ who seem really helpful.

Cheers

Paul
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

My son just got back from Verbier, dislocated his shoulder on the second to last day of the BASI 2 course so wants to get on the July course to get it done, I am just starting the process of booking etc, but expect I will run into the same issues as you,

Will let you know what I have found out and what am likely to book if it helps.

Son is Jak, has facebook and all that modern stuff so happy to pass on your sons name to him or facebook reference so they can hook up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This might give you some idea of the place. The road-head and the lift station is at the right. Hintertux village is on the left and this is where the evening lectures are.

There is a regular bus service down the valley as far as Vorderlanersbach and there are some much cheaper B&Bs in the villages on the way there. However, depending on the scheduling, there isn't quite enough time between skiing and the lectures to get the bus down, shower and get back again. Better to take everything with you for the day and dump it in the Tuxer Fernerhaus while you're skiing. This can make for a very late evening meal though. There is a nice campsite all the way down in Mayrhofen but the buses are few and far between or it's over 30 minute each way by car.

Even better, take a camper and park in the car park near the lift Wink

Some more info here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66815
http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/home/0/home.html
http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skigebiet/35/Skibus.html
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hintertux&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=26.502718,28.256836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hintertux,+Schwaz+District,+Tyrol,+Austria&z=14

Top tip: take your BASI licence and show it when purchasing your lift pass. You might be able to get it at the youths' rate instead of full price.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Jaksdad

Really sorry to hear about his bad luck - especially that close to the end of the course.

Good luck on booking for July - I think Sam said it was filling up quite fast.

The Skiing Austria people came up with some accomodation in Hintertux with half board for around 750 Euro. This was a single room. We would have booked with these but due to a mix up we were waiting for a email from them and they were waiting for us. By the time they got back in touch we had already booked as Sam didn`t want to leave it too late!
The Redpoint people were also offering accomodation and transfer I believe staying at the Hotel used for the lectures although this was Shared room.

We ended up booking at the Thermal Badhotel hotel on Half board, single room in Hintertux whick looks Good but cost around 800 Euro for 14 Nights.
Most people reckon there is not a lot of options to eat out etc. in Hintertux so the half board option looked the best.

He booked a seat on a Easyjet flight from Gatwick to Innsbruck on July 23rd I think this cost around £250 return.

The Transfer was really akward to sort anything reasonable price wise.

A few people on this forum gave us details of bus and train transfer but as he was on his own (first time abroad by himself) it looked a little tricky and meant a few changes of transport and looked like it could take a few hours.
In the end we went for a private transfer with www.airport-transfer.com which was given to us by the Hotel.

It ended up costing around 300 euro and because Sam has now exceded his budget/savings I think its Bank of Mum and Dad to sponsor part of his course!

Anyway thanks for the reply and good luck to Jak - let us know if he gets on the course.

Thanks Altis for the pic and tip with the BASI licence.

Cheers

Paul - on behalf of Sam
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Useful info. My daughter wants to do her L1 next Summer as soon as she's 16. As none of the fridges are really driveable daily we're thinking of Hintertux on the basis that it would be more attractive than Hemel or MK for a weeks stay Happy, I'll go too driving there and pootling around during the day. Would probably look for a small apartment. If that worked out would probably look at L2 the following summer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the photo, the Thermal Badhotel is the large, pale building on the RHS of the cluster that is Hintertux itself. The thermal baths are the blue thing on the far side under the loop of road - and not very 'thermal' by all accounts! For an easier, more pleasant walk to the lifts Sam might turn right out of the hotel and right again along the footpath beside the river. Best take ordinary shoes for this and dump them in the Tuxer Fernerhaus - way up the mountain and the lowest point of summer skiing. The BASI courses and national ski teams take over a room and, although it's not locked, seems secure. There's also a locker room up there where you can leave skis and poles overnight.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi

Thanks for replies.

Colin B - Sam now works at the Snowdome (part time) Tamworth and he did his L1 There. They have recently built a Holiday inn on the same site as the Snowdome. It may work out cheaper than going abroad but obviously not as scenic. There are various things close by though such as Drayton Manor park and zoo.

Otherwise try the skiing austria people and they can come up with a range of options.

Best of Luck to your Daughter.

Altis - Thanks again for great info. I will pass the info on to Sam including the cold water tip!

Cheers

Paul
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
another vote for the Joerglerhof, literally a few steps form where the evening lectures take place, and good value at about €35 pppn b&b, 3 course dinner can be taken at the Hoenhaus for about €12 (or it could last year, don;t know what the deal is now), or there is a Didi's place, a gtood value restauring bang underneath the Jorgler.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last time I stayed in Hintertux I stayed in a B&B 2 mins walk from the hotel where lectures are. I can't remember the name of it but it's on the main road, opposite a great restaurant. I found it on the tourist office website.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think part of the BASI qualification should be for making your own travel arrangements and actually finding the resort. These guys want to be ski instructors yet let their mums and dads do all the thinking for them. Ski instructors sometimes have to deal with emergencies - should they call their mum?
latest report
Hi Folks

Bode - Sam is very independent and besides his REC first aid, Canoeing Qualifications and MTB leadership qualification he also has passed his national diploma in Adventure sports and has a lot of Hours hiking and climbing under his belt including a winter skills course.

I ask questions on here on his behalf as I`m a member and he is not also I book most stuff on my credit card and Sam does not own a credit card.

Also Sam holds down two part time jobs ( To pay for his skiing trips and advance his own qualifications) and is a full time student at Uni with end of year Exams coming up so time is at a premium.

Hope that paints a more positive picture.

However I think it would be good for BASI to offer a all inclusive package as they would be able to negotiate discounts on accomodation etc. and pass some of this onto its members.

Thanks again for great replies and good info.

Paul ( Sam out with his girlfriend)
latest report
paulmo101,

Keep us up to date on how he gets on, I considered doing my level 2 at Tux this year but as soon as I seen the price I decided to wait until next year and look to the early winter courses.

It removes the preasure on getting my last 28 hours in and to get reasonably fit again - 41 year old and very sedate lifestyle now Sad OH and way to much alcohol Smile

In fact I started my training tonight with my first run in 4 years, 4 miles today for a first run = sore and aching muscles tomorrow. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Hi Folks

Curtains - I will let you know how he gets on. A friend of his who also works at the Snowdome also did a course at Tux and said it was very good.

I suppose it will give you a bit more time to get fit I`m not sure how the winter courses compare on price but Tux is a little off the beaten track so you could probably get sorted cheaper somewhere in France.

I also keep trying to get a bit fitter but at 47 and a big lover of chocolate and Fond of Lager, its a uphill battle. I try to cycle a bit as running knackers my knees and also try to get up to the Roaches for a climb when possible.

Good luck with your Basi Course.

Cheers

Paul
snow conditions
paulmo101,
Quote:

I think it would be good for BASI to offer a all inclusive package as they would be able to negotiate discounts on accomodation etc. and pass some of this onto its members.

On the whole feedback to BASI from members over the years has been that people prefer to organise independently. However, please do pass suggestions / observations on to the office so they can continue to monitor members' views.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
paulmo101,
Quote:

I think it would be good for BASI to offer a all inclusive package as they would be able to negotiate discounts on accomodation etc. and pass some of this onto its members.

On the whole feedback to BASI from members over the years has been that people prefer to organise independently. However, please do pass suggestions / observations on to the office so they can continue to monitor members' views.

That sort of happens now with Redpoint providing an option to book accommodation, transfers and lift passes. I've not taken up that option as I've always been able to make arrangements which are either cheaper or better value for money.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
beanie1 wrote:
paulmo101,
Quote:

That sort of happens now with Redpoint providing an option to book accommodation, transfers and lift passes. I've not taken up that option as I've always been able to make arrangements which are either cheaper or better value for money.

for courses in Hintertux, yes. For courses elsewhere there is no such arrangement, although I do recall BASI had a deal with a hotel in Zermatt a couple of years ago ...
ski holidays
smithski, OK, I was thinking specifically about Tux and Zermatt because those are the last two venues I did courses at.
snow report
Hi Folks

We looked at the Redpoint option but a lot of it was "fixed" in so much as you could only book a shared room and the transfer was there provided you landed within a certain time frame.
The shared option was also classed as a Austrian twin room which, from what I gather, was basically a double bed with two lots of single bedding. A bit too cosy unless you got Linsay vonn as a room mate.

As mentioned earlier in this thread the lift passes are probably cheaper by flashing you BASI card than through redpoint as well.

Other than the above the price, especially with the transfer was not too bad.

Cheers

Paul
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy