Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Call to revive 1980s ski project

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There seems to be a lot of positivity around Scottish snowsports at the moment and out of the blue here's a bit of a surprise:

MSP calls for a fresh look at Ben Wyvis ski resort plan

I wonder if this is a silly season type story or a sign that those in Scottish government circles are starting to realise the potential value of snowsports to the economy!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga,

if the Scottish season was as "normal" (assuming recent 10-20 years averages represent normal and remain so), just how economically sensible is the plan really?

It's fantastic that Scotland seems to be having it's second epic season in a row.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, good question and theirein lies the problem, at least IMHO!

It's actually the 3rd good 'un in a row but your point stands, do we take the last 10-20 years as an average or believe those that suggest we're into a different weather pattern now and likely to have 10-20 (maybe more) years of snowier winters?! Personally I don't know to be honest and kinda feel that if government (in Scotland) are going to start acknowledging and perhaps even supporting snowsports in Scotland we'd be better getting the exising ski areas sorted before thinking about new ones. That might also have the added bonus of giving us more time to access whether or not the patterns we've now seen for 3 years in a row are likely to stick around for a while or change again!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look at this pic of the proposed area on 19th December. http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/forum/file.php?1,file=142 Certain holds the snow very well, quite high also. One thing I've never understood about Scottish skiing is why not use snow cannons? They get severe cold temps where you could have the cannons on to produce lots of snow to put a base layer. I understand that it cost a lot of money but even so, if there is snow, the skiers will come. Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More info in another article here: Ben Wyvis ski centre plan back on the agenda

Ricklovesthepowder, yeah it always held the snow well - used to be able to see Wyvis year round from my bedroom window!

As for cannons, I agree but Glenshee and The Lecht have had them for a while and I'm not sure they've used them to their full affect in part due to electricity and water supply issues. Cairngorm have one on trial at the moment and it's been belting out snow in the last week quite successfully, I believe given enough funds another one is planned and they are also talking to the company that's supplied snowmaking to marginal resorts in NZ and Oz about a full trial on the mountain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, yeah rick, my expectation is that you can't use snow cannons to make a marginal ski station work.

The idea works in the Alps, Eastern US, etc. because the general economics allow the station to run, the cannons just (typically) allow lower runs to open in more marginal conditions.

Scottish ski stations have been, in and of themselves, economically marginal for some time. Various reasons, including cheap flights to the alps, the demise of the Scottish skiing club structure, etc.

So snow cannons simply would be another expense that would be tricky to fund.

If, however, the climactic situation has changed (and there have been a couple of iinteresting papers published in recent months) then all the bets are off. If those climactic changes result in an Alpine season like 2008-09 then great, but otherwise,...

Anyone want to swap 4 apartments in Chamonix for a small castle in Speyside?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy