Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis flat on snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When one is in classic downhill pose skiing with the fall-line should your skiis be perfectly flat on the snow or slightly on their inside edges.Just wondering 'cos I've got slightly bandy legs and was going to try to adjust the cuff on my boots(Head Edge 9's I think) or should I leave well alone?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
take them to a bootfitter to do it for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yanto, you have exactly the same question as my OH, who is more than slightly bandy. He got really cross because when skiing straight down an easy slope he would get left behind because he was always in slight "snowplough" position.

Yes, the boot cuffs should follow your lower leg, but beyond that there are some very expert adjustments. My OH got some shims in his boots - done by Andy McCann who works with Colin Martin at Solutions4Feet in Bicester. He needed different adjustments in both feet - done on a fancy machine. Now his skis are flat so he has no excuse if he gets left behind.

It's a long way from Orkney though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
It's a long way from Orkney though!

LOL, innit! Laughing

yanto, given you'd have to get a ferry or flight to get to any bootfitter you're best bet would be to head to one whenever you head off skiing or happen to be on the mainland, if in Scotland there's some people who will do a decent job at Elis Brighams in Aviemore although they won't have the experience (or equipment) that Andy has in Bicester. If heading abroad I suggest you ask around here if anyone can recommend somewhere in or near the resort you're headed to and go wherever recommended once you arrive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

there's some people who will do a decent job at Elis Brighams in Aviemore

Fashions on this sort of thing seem to have changed. Many years ago my OH got "aligned" in Les Gets by someone from BASS. That involved shims under the bindings (so he then had left and right skis) but lots of bindings aren't suitable for that, now. There's also a school of thought that it's better just to learn to adjust yourself, isn't there? The job done on my OH involved some fore and aft as well as some left and right - difficult to see how that could be done without that machine. The BASS job involved lower tech uprights and string, IIRC.

I am just trying to envisage a bandy skier with straight boot cuffs. He will tend to put the skis on their outer edges, wouldn't he? Not the inner edges?

It's all beyond me - I have no idea whether I would profit from being aligned. Having been struggling this morning, on some nice freshly pisted easy slopes, to make parallel carved tracks and not skid my inside ski, maybe I would? Got to get that inside ski onto its edge somehow! Any excuse, eh what?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies.I was just worried that I was missing out on a bit of edge angle.I have noticed I am a bit slower in tuck as well.Maybe I'll get skiis waxed as well!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yanto, Pull the liners out, stand in the shells in a skiing stance, adjust the canting, ideally someone else doing it for you. What you want is an equal space between the top of the cuff and your leg on each side, do the canting bolts up whilst you hold tyour position. Put liners back in.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Maybe I'll get skiis waxed as well!

Laughing how long since that was done?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

should your skiis be perfectly flat on the snow

yes at your "normal" stance width
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
yanto, Pull the liners out, stand in the shells in a skiing stance, adjust the canting, ideally someone else doing it for you. What you want is an equal space between the top of the cuff and your leg on each side, do the canting bolts up whilst you hold tyour position. Put liners back in.

Thanks Spyderman, this make a lot of sense to me as an engineer. I have often wondered if I could benefit from moving the canting alignment on my boots.

I certainly dont want to correct for something under my own control and I have skiied on the same boots for a number of years now and not had a problem. However its hard not to be infected by the sentiments of people that have had professionally canting, with the drastic difference it has made to their skiing. Inspecting my boots as they are right now (untouched, manufactures settings) they are very much \_\ /_/ and I think one slightly more than the other!

I was tempted to put some tip-ex to mark the current position and have a play with this, but I dont want it to be detrimental and I was worried about accuracy of this marking and ease of getting back to the same. Although I cant believe 0.5 of a mm would be noticeable, especially as I suspect there was not too much effort originally put in on manufacture of the boot!.

I read this website http://cantology.com but im not thinking of being this serious about it! however I was interested in the obvious fact that boot canting is limited as there will be a point that the angle makes the leg and ankle oddly aligned and clearly wrong.

My theory (very inexperienced in these things!) is in a perfect world your shin bone is exactly perpendicular to the plan of your foot when evenly weighted and standing balanced. If the boot has no adjustment then there would be a need for some external canting to give a slight inside edge cant on each. I imagine the value of this will depend on your skiing desire, ie racing vs freeride vs recreational etc ..... As you approach perfectly perpendicular to your ski, the more likely you are to notice the outside edge Smile !!!

Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Decanting is essential if you want to avoid a mouthfull of tartrate crystals.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Should I take the orthotics(Superfeet) out of the liners and put them in the boots when I do this or not?My feet will surely be in a different shape relative to the boot sole without it and affect the angle of my ankle/lower leg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah I was just thinking about that Smile !

I had custom soles made on a silicon bedded vacuum machine, part of that was to align my shins/knees straight respective to my weight naturally placed over my feet giving the comfortable(correct?) plane.

So I guess, yes while standing on those, on a flat surface my alignment is correct. I would assume there would be similar benefits with the superfeet soles.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy